1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you "haggle" with Indians/Europeans?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by tour86rocker, Oct 2, 2008.

1. tour86rocker

tour86rocker Warlord

Is it worth it to haggle with Indians or Europeans? I tend to just have them tell me what they want for something, rather than guess. It tends to be a fair price; I've sort of stopped doing the math b/c it's annoying!

2. Seen

Seen Chieftain

You can still haggle? I tried it a few times but they never accepted a higher price. Like you I now just accept what they offer me. If im making a profit of course. But the math is quite easy now since when you hoover over the good you get the euro prices. Which is a great improvement. :)

3. TheJollyRajah

TheJollyRajah Chieftain

One time, I played a game where I was at war with the Spanish colony, and I asked him for 30 gold for peace. (Not much, I know, just fooling around with the trade system)

He gave it to me for free! We weren't even fighting or anything. I didn't send any troops at him. But we were still at war, so maybe he felt threatened.

4. minger

minger Warlord

I actually miss the haggling of Col1. It created tension in terms of how much you wanted to push them and it made trade more interesting. Yet another feature of Col1 that was stupidly ejected from this version...

5. Knaken

Knaken Chieftain

yes, another good feature from colonization 1 that has been butchered in this new version.

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

That's something that can be readded in a player mod, maybe. The Civ4 diplomacy system was about carbon-copied for this game, which is both a blessing and a curse.

7. Tavenier

Tavenier King

Me too. You needed money and asked for a little more and <bang> they went mad and sent you away. Relations worsened and you left with an unsold load.

8. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

yeah I agree, trading now with civIV style grumpy AI civs who will not budge on trade...

broken

9. Tavenier

Tavenier King

And is it true that you can only trade all or nothing with them? I can't use shift to select a couple of coats, for example...

10. Soneji

not sure not tried it, you used to be able to select how much of any given goods you wanted to trade with.

wouldn't suprise me if thats gone too

11. NHJ BV

NHJ BV El Presidente

As far as I can tell, no, you can't sell only part of what you have.

And no, even suggesting 1 gold more than their given price will make them refuse the deal.

12. Soneji

which is a joke compaired to the original game.

clearly the broken AI trade mechanics from CivIV have also been included.

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

What do you mean about broken AI trading mechanics? It's not like they are giving each other fantastic deals on technologies and leaving you in the Stone Age.

14. tour86rocker

tour86rocker Warlord

Listen, maybe the haggling isn't the same, but are we sure that asking for better deals isn't having diplomatic effects? Sometimes they very grudgingly accept, when they accept. It "sounds" like they're unhappy when they don't say things like "Cha-CHING"