1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have your own rules ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by rugbyLEAGUEfan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Nah my knickers were in a minor knot because I thought the implication was that the only benefit of leaving cities undefended was the few gold saved in maintenance and therefore not worth doing . As you say , unit maintenance is not really an issue outside of the early game .

In actual fact ( and I hate to pull out the "at high levels" chestnut) , squeezing everything you can out of limited resources is vital . Undefended cities ( especially behind the great wall) provides a significant advantage over the AI . In the early game , garrisons cost workers , granaries etc . Mid to late game with a large empire , the advantage of undefended cities can easily be another 10 units in your SOD .

2. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

Granted, the undefended city strategy is one that is very situational. I can see how it would be useful, but in my experience, I usually end up having simple warrior garrisons about midway into the game. I don't need to spend the time to move them or upgrade them, so I rarely have an undefended city.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

I am curious why you would make rules to handicap yourself against the AI? Is it because you feel the AI is not challenging enough? Is that even on Deity level? I ask because when the AI stops challenging me, I switch to a higher level.

To me the AI handicaps just balance out human ingenuity. Do you play SP exclusively or do you play MP as well?

One (rule) thing I try to stick to is NOT reloading the game when something happens I don't like (including a bad start) and NOT using worldbuilder. I find the AI to be quite challenging if I pick a good difficulty level and I play it out to the end without reloading or using worldbuilder.

4. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

At high levels, the happiness cap is of a much bigger concern, which makes undefended cities even more of a sub-optimal choice.

5. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

]
    Good question . It's definitely not cause I can beat deity ! I find deity without cooking the settings orntaking a good map extremely difficult if not impossible and pretty stressful. I too don't re load and I like to play the starting map , so I can maybe win 1 diety in 25 at best . But I'm in that middle area where a good map on immortal can be beaten most times and it's a bit boring cause a good REX or catapult war is pretty much game over except for a surprise DOW.

The 2 main reasons are it reduces messing around (begging for gold , cheesy AP wins) but mostly if you look at my examples , they are mostly things the AI would never do , so it's not really a big handicap .

It's really just a way of slightly making it more difficult without the pain of deity. And yes , exclusively single player

6. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

.????

I'm aware of that . I don't really see your point . With good micro which I'm not a fan of , numerous cities can be kept under the cap without a garrison . This is a fact . On deity .

It's simply my personal preference not to exploit this to my advantage on the basis that the AI never do . I'm not for a second suggesting others do so .

But on the contrary , if I really wanted to micro and juggle units , keeping cities undefended as long as they under the cap IS optimal . Whether it be for financial gain or in order to use my units elsewhere

7. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Is it really that hard for people to keep two things together to make one thread of discussion? Do I have to put in "undefended cities as a policy" every damned time?

*insert snarky comment about Aussies that would gain me bonus points with General Olaf here*

8. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Do you mean a policy of always have interior cities undefended ? Well obviously that's dumb . When was this promoted ?But a policy of keeping cities undefended as long as they stay out of unhappiness would be ideal if one could be bothered moving them around . Since I can't , I don't .

Are you not Australian ? I just assumed as you are in Sydney .

9. IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan Chieftain

In the spirit of the OP, I always take promotions as soon as they happen. I think it's an exploit to use them as battlefield healing or an instant counter to an opponent's best unit. Promotions represent intensive training / specialized equipment and it's unrealistic to think that units can travel around with multiple choices of these at all times. It's not like combat versus the AI is that challenging that you have to save promotions to be able to deal with it. Also I find those blue clouds to be really annoying...

10. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

I really like this one . On grounds of reality , what the AI does and further strategic considerations . I'm gonna try it next game

11. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Whether I am or not is irrelevant, since Gen Olaf is a Kiwi. Any snarky comments about Aussies will gain points with Kiwis.

But for the record, no, I'm not an Australian citizen.

12. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Usually, I agree with you about the blue clouds, but in FfH or any other fantasy mod, having a glowing blue aura makes it seem more magical. But that's a matter of taste.

Don't really have rules, as I'm not that skilled a player. Since I am playing to enjoy myself, I do weight things in initial map generation by using the Full of Resources script. That lets you set starting resources for everybody in three different tiers:
    1. Fat Cross
    2. Starting Zone (close to FC, but not in)
    3. Player Zone (Within a short distance of initial starting point)

So when I use this script, everyone gets a base of 2 Food resources and Copper. I take Marble and Stone since I like Wonders. I usually give the AI another Food resource and Wine. Obviously, this does give me a strong production capital and a guarenteed ability to rush, which does make the opening more secure. Probably should drop the Copper because of that.

Backstabbing: Avoided as I don't like it, but have done so occasionally. Although it depends on the AI: if its Cathy I don't feel guilty at all, but backstabbing a usually loyal and reliable AI makes me feel guilty. Again, in FfH since I role-play the civs it is easier. If good, my play is noble and honorable, if evil then no action is too low.

13. Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard Condiment Pirate Mouse

This pretty much sums up my play style, with a few more:

-3 For every time I'm already at war and you give me -1 for not helping you during war time; rising to -10 for asking me to join the same war multiple times.
    -5 to Pacal for asking me to swap Rep for Monarchy when I'm researching Liberalism (this happens every single game.)
    -100 to Sitting Bull for existing.

14. ShengWuLien

ShengWuLien Warlord

Cool thread. It's interesting to hear how other players approach these things.

When I first started playing the game I was always tempted to use WB to get early stone. This was so I could build the Great Wall--my thinking being, "If I build the Wall, I won't have to train any military to defend against barbs, so I can concentrate on important things like every city having every single building, and getting every single Wonder!"

Since I started playing a bit more seriously, I've never used WB for anything. I only ever reload for idiotic worker suicides or when the interface makes me move my stack away from a city instead of toward it, stuff like that.

I occasionally re-roll a start I really hate--a coastal start for a civ without fishing, for example. Sometimes but not always, depends on my mood.

I also ragequit on a frighteningly regular basis.

15. crazyotto65

crazyotto65 Chieftain

I never re-roll a start and I HAVE NEVER, under any circumstance, OPENED WORLDBUILDER...
    Not even once.

Weird?

16. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

I just hate tundra-for aesthetic and not difficulty/gameplay reasons. So even a desert/jungle start is fine with me

Same here

I'm gonna adopt that too:)

17. Cort Haus

Cort Haus Warlord

The only time I open WB is when I tried to open the espionage screen but accidently hit CTRL-W.

I usually go with random leaders and take whatever map I roll unless experimenting or testing a particular leader/strat. This helps to keep things interesting while playing at the low levels I like that don't stress me out too much.

I am occasionally naughty with reloading during games to answer questions like 'how many techs do I have to give this doofus to get him to pleased?" which is info I feel the game ought to be able to give me anyway.

My worst 'house rule' is my lack of aggression that makes it difficult for me to go to war against a Civ that I've cultivated into a friend (backstabbing). I wimp-quit many game this way when I have too little land but don't hate anyone enough nearby to do anything about it. The fact that I far prefer playing the early game to actually slogging to a win probably encourages me to lose interest in the current game and start a new one.

18. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

1. I always re-roll a start that has any gems, gold, or in rare cases, silver in them.
    2. Never play on Marathon due to abusive war mechanics.
    3. For that matter, I re-roll extremely favorable or extremely unfavorable starts as well. Imo there should be some semblance of balance. Why should you get 1 plains cow, no hills, and 10 plains, no irrigation, and only 3 grasslands start when someone else has 2 pigs, 2 corn (irrigated), horse, and to top it off, 2 gold. Maybe I should use "balanced", who knows. I end up regenerating 15 times sometimes trying to get the perfectly neutral start lol.
    4. Never play with the Incans in a game I start at home for myself due to their abusive UU.
    5. Never win by AP victory because imo it's ridiculous.
    6. I almost never play using random leaders. I like 6-10 of them and the rest just aren't my cup of tea.

19. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Oh, that was my hidden modifier. :p

20. slengtorm

slengtorm Chieftain

I haven't done this, but you could try not killing civilians as far as possible. No slavery; no razing cities; no bombing cities; no poisoning water supplies; no murdering workers, settlers, great people or missionaries unless they happen to be in a city or possibly on a ship, in which cases it may be unavoidable. I might be missing some, it's tweakable and subjective.