1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Hold A Grudge?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DAC, Nov 19, 2011.

1. DAC

DAC Chieftain

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone else was like me and is terrible at holding a grudge against a particular AI in a new game, because of what an AI did in a previous game.

Some examples from my recent games are:

In a Continents game I owned one entire (relatively small) continent after easily getting rid of my only rival Frederick, after teching Astrology I discovered there was a huge continent with 5 Civs on it which was being manhandled by Shaka and ... his pet vassal b*tch Mansa Musa who was feeding him techs like no tomorrow. He was like that little gremlin thing on Jabba the Hutt's belly.

Well next game, guess who comes to me needing protection from a Warmongering Catherine of Russia? I decided I wanted in on the action, but not in the way he planned, as I declared war on him and immediately took two of his cities in about 3 turns. But he still managed to stick it too me as he became Catherine's Vassal right as I was poised to take and raze his capital (it was one square off of the sea ... I hate that!!!).

Suffice to say he better not be in my next game lol. I could have also talked about games with Montezuma but these threads have a word limit. :crazyeye:

So do you guys hold grudges against particular AI and have any cool stories of why they 'grind your gears' as Peter Griffin would say?

2. Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard Condiment Pirate Mouse

Yes. I'm still holding one from my first game before I knew that there was such a thing as backstabbers. Yes Alexander, I'm looking at you.

Sury's on my sh*t list because he annoys me every single game. I don't hold a grudge against Monty, he's just being Monty and you might as well hold a grudge against rain.

3. ajsciri4

ajsciri4 Warlord

It's very occasional... I think I did once. As Egypt I started landlocked, literally in the middle of Bismarck, Washington, and Alexander. As I was destroying Washington, Alexander was culture-stealing tiles without me realizing because I was paying attention to the front, and eventually took my horses. No horse reinforcements forced me to make a peace treaty with Washington and pour money into culture.

Game two: Started next to Alex. Chariot rushed him, forgetting he had Phalanx. I withdrew, then made armies of Axemen to place on forest hills in his territory, he attacked with the majority of his phalanx, so thennnn I chariot rushed him. Victoire!

4. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

In a word, "YES". There are a few AI on my craplist that I kill at the slightest provocation (which is usually them demanding something from me).

5. nfw

nfw King

I kill MM asap just to prevent him tech trading

Also if an AI annoys me a lot I'd wipe him out even if I've already won

6. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

I love MM. I almost never kill him, he is much more worth as a vassal.
    I see Sury and Zara as my greatest rivals, but I don't hate them.
    I don't like Cyrus and Cathy because they are rexers.

7. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

Montezuma has declared war on me in 5 out of the 5 games I've played recently. In the one I'm playing now, it is only a matter of time. I also dislike Isabella and Catherine(the former is from a long time ago, the latter because of her Russianness...and the fact that she slaps you). Not to mention Napoleon, but that's another story.

8. MaxWar

MaxWar King

Monty, he's just crazy.
    I played a game a month ago where i thought he was my buddy, + 7 relationship and we did not even share mutual borders, he was actually on another continent. He was always nice and friendly.

Suddenly he declares war and the very next turn he makes a huge Galleon drop almost next to my capital. And start rampaging through my homeland...

But in truth i kinda love him, who does not like to have a madman in his games?

9. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

He IS an effective attack dog... :p

10. Rubio

Rubio Warlord

Not so much a grudge but if I have a particularly obnoxious or dangerous leader next to me i'll take them out with an early rush. It makes sense to get somebody permanently out of the way at the very initial stages of the game if they are high unit prob AND can declare at pleased...

11. Pisskop

Pisskop Goblin Axeman

Yup. On the top of the list is definately Wang Kong, Hannibal, Fredrick, and Zara Yarob. Gilgamesh Augustus are always annoying, and I have grown to dispise Mansa.

Monty is entertainment, and Shaka is useful.

Wang Kong had tech leads in a few of the games I played, and I suspect he kept paying to had civs declare on me.

Hannibal and Fredrick are landstealers, usually doing so three turns before I put out a settler. I war on them mid-game the most.

Zara is hard to uproot once he digs in. He is always at the mid-upper part of the scoreboard, more-so than Jaio or William. Irksome (mostly) peaceful zealot.

Gilgamesh was a bane upon my life when I first started to play. His culture/habit of land-grabbing was too much for me to compete with, and I still hate him to this day.

Augustus is a wonderwhore with pratorians, and always seems to beat me out of them.

Mansa is Mansa, and I find I usually have to kill him early or he will Vassel, sometimes trying to do so to me.

12. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

Of course; Musa has fooled me too many times for me to ever trust him again...I remember the first time I realized that he is evil:

I was playing as the Aztecs and we started out on opposite side of the continent. We both were content to operate in our own little thirds of the world. I had carved a nice religious buffer by sharing my religion with Arabia and some other neighbor. Using that, I had avoided all war outside of an early rush and made myself the worst target possible for a DOW in the eyes of my rival civs. But then, Musa founded what I think was Islam and started spreading it to Arabia, my southern neighbor. Roughly about 30 turns later, I was unwillingly capturing most of coastal Arabia and Mecca. Saladin immediately became Musa's vassal after I signed peace with him. Meanwhile, Musa had bowed out of the Tech Race and was putting everything he had into Culture. Luckily I quickly built a navy and assembled enough troops to assault and raze the culture city he founded near the coast. Undaunted, he switched back into the Space Race and pulled ahead of just about every civ in tech. Then again, the tech rates in this game were awful; Musa probably was teching at a normal or slightly above average pace... I meanwhile had completed the Internet, allowing me to build ICBMs. I soon realized there was no way I could complete the SS Engines before 2050...my last hope was a Time Victory. I thought I'd have an easy time; with everyone teching as poorly as I had, I wasn’t going to beat by the Space Race. But then I saw Musa's research had fallen back to ~60 turns for his next tech. Having learned from his last mistake, Musa completed two Legendary cities and was completing his third one at his capital, a few tiles from the coast. Panicking I built another invasion force and refortified myself against Saladin. I opened up by nuking his capital and desperately scrambling my invaders toward it. Unphased, he nuked my homeland and crushed my army the turn it arrived in front of Timbuktu, taking his first of many victories from my grasp...

13. MaxWar

MaxWar King

Some leaders in this games can get downright scary when they start to go for a cultural win. Gilgamesh in my experience is a b!tch. There was this game where i was going for space race. Then around 1930, Gilgy suddenly shifts off scientific research and goes all the way culture, in 10 turns he has two cities with Legendary cultures already. I already had a bunch of spaceship parts but was at leas 3 decades from being done. I got really scared because in the game before Gilgy had robbed me of a victory in the same exact way. I had accumulated a good amount of ICBM and tactical nuke. I nuked every single of his cities in one turn. From the various friendship and treaties, it all degenerated in a massive world war, in the midst of which gilgamesh kept going with culture, despite his whole empire being a nuclear wasteland. While i was building more nukes, minute defenses and spaceship parts, Monty was taking my coastal cities with vicious raids, so i nuked his cities too. Tokugawa was raiding my navy with his blasted airplanes, Global warming went wild with a new desert tile appeared in my cities every other turn. It was a total mess, but in the end i got my space race lol.

14. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

I hold an eternal grudge against Shaka.

After a couple of years away from Civ4, I played a series of twelve games. Shaka was in nine of those, and ruined every single one. Those nine games evolved in the same way each time. Everyone goes about their business until Shaka gets penned in by the borders of other civs, then mass war breaks out.

Holding a huge amount of underdeveloped cities, and taking tech in exchange for a momentary break in slaughter, Shaka would war with everyone around him. Every other civ was focusing on building their own armies, so there was little variety in the games. Huge Zulu armies, huge Zulu territory. The games were almost carbon-copies of each other.

I edited the XMLs so the AI couldn't use Shaka, and haven't regretted it one bit. ;)

15. Handel

Handel Prince

It is not about the grudge. The same AI will behave in the same way if you don't use random personalities.
    Besides the game always being somewhat random of course. I played 2 games with Rome absolutely on the same map and same difficulty and in the first one the Aztecs quickly were vassalaged by Napoleon but in the second they even more quickly grabbed over half of the continent.
    Sometimes the outcome of a single combat may change the whole game. I saved couple of times AI civs from early destruction from the barbarians by simply reloading and making some random move to change the outcome of a barbarian/AI civ combat in the next turn. That's of course after I chop the Great Wall because the random (not the event one) barbarians never go for AI cities if they can reach the human player cities.

PS. Except the barbarians popped from the huts - they move randomly just as like the AI explorer units.

16. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I attack Sitting Bull and Alexander every game, regardless of where they are.

17. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Burger King. (AKA Charlemagne).

No, I DON'T want to give you free techs, and I don't care if you become Annoyed at me. What, a DoW? :mischief: Oops.

18. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Ah yes, that reminds me of my very first Civ IV game a year ago, still Vanilla. I was Roosevelt on Earth18 and wanted a peaceful game... -> ´nuff said
    I restarted the whole game, this time with the intention to kill every last Aztec on American soil. I fulfilled my goal in the 17. Century or so, then caught up with the rest of the world technology-wise, and won my first victory ever in Civ, 2013 by Space. Therefore, I kinda try to help Rosy wherever I can and hold a glaring hatred for Monty. Ah, good old Nostalgia...

Cheers.

19. artificialj

artificialj Chieftain

Ghandi.

It started as a joke, years ago; just thought it would be funny to irrationally hate Ghandi. Then I decided that I needed to attack him whenever I could. My hatred then progressed to a need to nuke him any time he popped up.

It's now progressed to an all consuming hate. I will abandon any predecided victory condition to nuke him. If he appears as a late game arrival (for an AI creating a colonial vassal) and I'm about to win culture, I will make sure I lose a soon to be legendary city just to nuke him into oblivion.

20. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Ghandi? The most friendly, caring leader there is? The leader who doesn't care about winning, he just wants to be safe and protected with his religion? The one who will give you free techs? You nuke him? You nasty, nasty person! :lol: