1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like bro-country? Does anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jackelgull, Feb 11, 2015.

?

Do you like Bro Country

1. I love it!

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Worst thing to happen to country music ever

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I like it

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. not a big fan

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. Don't have any feelings/ not an american

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

For those of you who don't know, this is bro-country

Link to video.
    or rather it is THE bro country song, the song that launched bro country into the public eye and lead to it dominating the country charts. But I suppose I should be more specific on what bro-country is. It's a sub-genre within country that usually has 3 characteristics
    1) Relatively young male singer. A bro basically
    2) Be about partying/ girls/ trucks - basically have all the content depth of a stereotypical rap song
    3) Sounds like country wishing it were hip hop. There's a reason bro-country is also called hick hop.

now there are articles on the rise of Bro-country. http://www.academia.edu/4165160/Reading_Hick Hop_The_Shotgun_Marriage_of_Hip_Hop_and_Country_Music

But I'll go for the simplest explanation for why it exists. Basically it is because of 2 trends- country as a whole is becoming younger. There was a time when Hunter Hayes had the highest charting single on the country charts (If you don't count Taylor Swift, which I don't), and hip hop has somehow become the "music of the youth". So we have a generation who has grown up listening to some hip hop artists basically trying to be edgy and relevant and copy their icons. I can link to an article which says that Florida Georgia Line listened to Nelly, so they invited him for Cruise the remix, but I won't bother. I doubt anyone's even read my explanation on why country's becoming so desperate to be hip-hop.

I believe that it became big because it filled a void in country that hadn't been filled in country before- light hearted youth party jams. Bro-country is about the bars and clubs that rappers rap about except in the South. It's about a good times. I believe that this trend will die this year as it has reached over saturation. I see some of it surviving, but more mature country will get its chance. But I predict it will permanently widen country's appeal on the pop charts. But what do I know? Sorry for this long post.

Back to the simple question: Do you like bro country? Does anyone?

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

I am reminded of this gigantic club where I used to live. They had two huge rooms with tables, dance floor, the usual, seating between two and three hundred each, connected by another big room with a bar worked by at least ten bar backs (to give you a feel for what I mean by gigantic). In one room they had country, in the other they had hip-hop.

At two in the morning when this place closed out you could literally commit any crime of any kind anywhere in town, because every cop in town would be there backing up the already impressive security staff as the place dumped into the parking lot. Hilarious.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

This would be really easy to make into a parody. But having said that, I support the expansion of music into new dimensions. But err.. having said that, this sounds like round of the mill pop music to me..

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

5. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I can't say I like it, but at least it is better than that Godawful "I'm so fancy" song.

6. NetGear

NetGear King

so theyre copying the worst part about the hip hop industry today(materialistic LCD driven narcissism) and im so supposed to like it.

dumbed down party musics have their place. it doesnt have to be all indepth and seriousness all the time but the way this 'hick hop' unashamedly tries to emulate commercial success of mainstream hip hop makes me go.... meh.

7. Timsup2nothin

By strange coincidence, right after I sort of dodged the question my gf emerged from the chick cave with a 'what do you think of this' sampler that turned out to be this hick hop stuff. No, she did not appreciate 'hey, this sounds like this hick-hop I was just reading about' and yes I did look up the artists involved so I could point out to her that they are indeed leaders of the genre.

So if the poll had 'okay or even good, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of it' that would be my choice.

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

So take country topics, have country vocal inflections, and make pop hip hop out of it. Makes sense. "Country" has already incorporated all things pop in order to keep relevant (which it does quite well), including even dubstep influences.

Most folk like a music style because they like a character sound to it. Country's vocals are the most distinctive feature: the musicality is often fairly indistinguishable from rock. You can port vocal sounds to any musical backdrop.

I'm surprised this is even a thing—i.e. something that hasn't been considered normal for a decade already.

link plz

No way.

Arguing with gals about music sounds like treacherous waters.

9. Josu

Josu King

I can not say I like it, but still far better than reggaeton

10. Hygro

There was a 100% reggaton station here a while back. Unfortunately it's gone. I quite liked it.

11. Josu

Josu King

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

To the bonfire!!!

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Well watched around 10 sec of the vid.
    Horrible music :eek:

Doesn't really have a 'country' element, though, apart from how some of the singers look.

The so-called 'murder ballads' in country style can be cool, as in the theme from season 1 'true detective'.

13. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

I'm gonna break my rusty cage... and run!

14. Hygro

...straight into my arms

:love:

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I'm not over fond of it, tbh. I've fairly eclectic tastes in music generally (apart from organ music), but country music is near the bottom (although some of it is very good indeed, let's not overgeneralize) and this is right at the bottom, imo. Far too twangy and with lyrics that don't seem particularly meaningful (not that lyrics should be meaningful).

But, hey, if someone likes it, they like it. Who's to gainsay them?

16. Timsup2nothin

We didn't argue, I just had to explain that 'hick-hop' isn't a derogatory term.

It isn't, is it? If it is I may be in trouble later.

17. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Well, except death metal.

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I've always wanted to see and hear Death metal opera. I think something like that could work extremely well.

As for country, does anyone remember that "Cotton eye joe" country/dance mash? That was actually not so bad, as much as I generally don't think very highly of country music.

20. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Kombat Opera: a fusion of genres. Opera and Combat.

Link to video.