Do you like building up for a long time befor a war?

Ben II

To much time on Hands
Do you like building up for a long time befor a war?
:die:
:plasma:
:ar15:
:ripper:
:rocket2:
:rocket:
:sniper:

I love to build up, i like an army that i think can capture half of their nation rather quickly, I am mostly in a democracy so i hate long drawn-out wars...

Originally posted by Godwynn
I love to build up, i like an army that i think can capture half of their nation rather quickly, I am mostly in a democracy so i hate long drawn-out wars...

I concur Godwynn. I like to whip their ass quickly so that I don't have trouble with war weariness, and once I conquer them I don't have to worry about resistance.

Quick wars are fine, but you cann't wait forever to build up forces. In one thread, i read something like "...230 stealth bombers.." :eek: I would consider that as overkill.
With the production/tech bonus, the AI isn't sleeping.

If you are able to build 230 stealth bombers then you should perhaps be building the spaceship instead!

My biggest mistake in most games I play is spending too long in the ancient/middle ages building up lots of swordsmen. I then wipe out half a civ and grind to a halt because I am suddenly facing Pikemen defenders instead of spearmen. :mad:

In the early stages of the game you have to be a lot more daring and aim to take a few key cities rather than wiping out entire civs, so 8 - 10 swordsman is probably enough to do another civ a great deal of damage without being overkill. Once you get into trying to build a 100 sword SOD you tend to find that they being slaughtered by fortified muskets!

I like to build up for as long as I can before a war. But sometimes you don't have much time to build up.

Often you only have a temporary advantage, and you must strike before they reach some crucial technology.

It is good to use time to build up, if you have it. But time is not always on your side.

-Sirp.

I like to build up too, for the big push at the end. I will go to war at three times during the game: Very early if another civ has the misfortune of starting near me. I destroy them completely. If I capture one city, it will probably pay for the effort of the war over the long haul. But that is not why I do it. I just don't like to share! But I only do this because I have to. I prefer to spend the early game settling and teching.

The second time I like to go to war is when Leo's has upgraded all my infantry to riflemen and (if I am going to war) I will divert technology so all my horsies are cavalry. This is pretty much a wipeout combo if the enemy civ does not have gunpowder yet.

Lastly, of course, is when my democracy is up and running, I build up a huge army/fleet/airforce supported by a city with Shakes. That force goes around swallowing civs until none are left. While I am unwilling to share, I am not cruel. I do not keep pets. Yes, I know, you can get a higher score by keeping someone alive and not winning until just before forced retirement, but it is just tooooooo boring...

I like to build up before, but have never been in the "perfect position" with enough troops. So I find my self fighting longer than I should and suffer for it!

thankyou very much one you imput

I try to keep pumping out the units all the time. If my military force is big enough, I can respond quickly to invasions and launch an offensive at any time.

The difficult part of warfare is the timing. You may only have a few turns before the target civ discovers a crucial tech, or your import/export deal may have a few turns left.

One of the things I found when I moved up to Emperor level is that, for me, it's almost impossible to win without fighting an early war and putting your nearest neighbor into a permanent, inferior position. As soon as I get iron, I start cranking out vetern swordsmen, with some veteran spearmen ('cuz they're cheaper), and I go after my nearest neighbor and try to take 1-3 cities. I especially try to get a luxury resource I don't already have.

So while I like to build up, in that first war I always fight, it's not possible. I get strong enough to take something and hold it, and then go for it.

If I have a UU that comes into play in the middle ages, it's a bit easier to be fully prepared to achieve my strategic goals quickly. I often fight a 3rd war late, and I'm always ready for that one.

If I can lay claim to a nice portion of realty early on, I will tend to be at peace with neighbors. In the meanwhile, I am teching up, building defenses, and cities. With a good layout, you can usually research a tech every 4-6 turns. Be sure to get to Riflemen to deter attacks against you and have a handful of Cavalry around to repel those that do decide to go to war.

On a large map, you can easily carve out a 15-20 city empire using the outside-in settling technique. I try to get to the Hoover Dam wonder first. Once you get factories in your major cities, you can crank out a tank every 2-5 turns. Makes for very short work those neighbors that have been extorting you over the years.

Top Bottom