Do you like living in your city?

I've lived in Melbourne all my life, so it is hard to compare it with anything else.
Pro
- Good sport
- lots of variety (things to do, sights to see, food to eat)

Con
- Very big, I live in the outer suburbs and it takes me almost two hours to get to uni each day by public transport, and it is even on the same side of the CBD as me.
- Summer. Every year we get weather over 40 degrees, and this past summer we reached a new record of over 46 degrees.
- Winter. It doesn't get that cold here, but I wish it would get a little colder. It hasn't snowed here in decades.

I don't live in no city....

Canton:

Demographics: growing and pretty big (80k), relative to surroundings. One of the safest cities in the US (20th, IIRC), due to a high/large police presence in city. Nice parks and library, safe to walk around at night. However, lack of a downtown and focus on residential/shopping (Meijer, k-mart, Target, Wal-Mart, Sams, etc) makes it pretty dull. Two Laser Tag places, two Gamestops, and a Chuck-e-Cheese's. Pretty stupid.

Schools are good, 3rd largest system in state.

On the whole, a somewhat crappy place to live. I'll move out ASAP.

Vancouver:

The Good:

absolutely beautiful place to live, you can walk in any direction in any Northern part of the city and be absolutely inspired by the scenery. I have traveled quite extensively and the only city i can compare with Vancouver in terms of beauty is Prague albeit for very different reasons.

There is a plethora of recreation available, i always boast that i am a snowboarder in the winter and a sailor in the summer, there are mazes of mountain and inner-city trails to discover, a large and dynamic playground on the water, skiing at some of the greatest mountains on the continent all within a short bus ride.

Public transit is very esoteric and complicated but very extensive. You can often choose from two or three different ways to get you where you have to go depending on your preference and timing. Skytrain continues to expand and goes further than any other elevated rial network in the world.

Vancouver has a very eclectic cultural scene, my neigbourhood is predominantly east Asian others are indo-Canadian, Italian etc. We are supposed to have one of the greatest restaurant scenes in the world but i couldn't verify that.

Hockey. Vancouver has the largest hockey fan base outside of Toronto and Montreal and you simply cannot go anywhere without hearing something about the Canucks. The largest, most expensive riot in Canadian history occurred because we lost in Game seven of the Stanley cup Finals.

The Bad

This can largely be summed up as most people will not need elaboration: Drugs, Gang Crime, Homelessness and Housing Costs.

For most people the worst of these is housing costs. You simply will not find any housing inside Vancouver for less than $400 a month in rent.

For most people the worst of these is housing costs. You simply will not find any housing inside Vancouver for less than $400 a month in rent.

:lol: in an undesirable crap city like Hartford rent as low as $400/month for an efficiency is unheard of.

I don't live anywhere near a city, and I'm content with that.

Valdosta is a horrible place, but I'm moving to Atlanta in a month.

I like living in Shutesbury. It's a BIT isolated (8 miles to Amherst) but there is a local Craigslist type e-mail list I can use to get rides, swap goods or services on and there are jobs closer by (lower than average unemployment). The air is very, very good up here. UMass is nearby. There are a lot of social services in nearby Amherst. Cost of living is way low compared to NY, NJ, CT. Winter sucks but spring is wonderful. Lot of hiking, swimming, etc. available in the summer. Fairly conscious/progressive area.

I'd say it's the best place I've ever lived, Santa Cruz, California being 2nd.

If you're from a city, my town probably gets classified as the "middle of nowhere", but if you're from a small town like that, "middle of nowhere" pretty much requires:
a) No paved roads.
b) No cellphone service.

I got both of those! :goodjob: Musekick has better reception though...(she lives in a WHOLE different piece of PA nowhere)

San Jose, California:

It has about 1 million people. 10th largest city in the nation and the largest in Northern California.

Pros:
Excellent Weather, not as sunny as LA, but we get rain and there is much less traffic
Heart of Silicon Valley. Lots of tech and green firms around here.
The Sharks. Our Hockey team and the only pro sports team in NorCal that doesn't suck.
Excellent places to go hiking nearby. Lots of regional, state, and national parks that you can go for a day trip.
One of the safest big cities in the US.
The mayor, Chuck Reed is awesome.

Cons:
Traffic
Public Transportation sucks.
SF gets all the respect.:(

Atlanta has already been discussed, but it's not somewhere I want to be in five years. For that matter, though, I wouldn't want to be in any city... somewhere with a large yard would be a very good thing.

Ohio?

I had a connection in your airport not long ago... pretty lame airport.

somewhere with a large yard would be a very good thing.

Its overrated. Your city people shouldn't be so quick to diss your homes. You guys have alot of stuff us rural folk can only dream of;).

You guys must live in the middle of nowhere? Are you Amish?

Musekick has better reception though...(she lives in a WHOLE different piece of PA nowhere)

I may have cell phone reception, but I still don't have basic cable. Oh, and if it rains too much where I live the spring house and creek near my house flood and cover the bridge that leads to my house so that there is no way to leave my yard short of a very shallow canoe. Try explaining that one to a principal or employer. :lol:

I would say the middle of nowhere would be somewhere without phone reception. Seems like a pretty good definition.

I would say the middle of nowhere would be somewhere without phone reception. Seems like a pretty good definition.

I don't know. Cell phones are becoming better and better and towers are popping up in more places. I would think that it would have more to do with how many people live around you or how far from certain amenities you are.

Top Bottom