Do you like living in your city?

I had to be downtown in Rotterdam today and it struck me that after all the many renovations and projects, the centre is actually becoming very beautiful. Shame that there ain't no recent photo's that I could find in a few seconds on google :\

I have been in Seattle for a little over a year

pros:
-open minded people
-clean
-green
-good public transportation
-not far from nice snow capped peaks

cons:
-city hall is figuring out more and more ways to take our money for stupid stuff like plastic bag surcharges
-people are very cliquish
-hipsters
-not so many women are fatties, but half of the women who could be hot are granola. No makeup, no hairstyle, no nice shoes, or nice sexy dresses.
-rain and/or overcast 75% of the year

Do I like it? It is way better than Kitsap County next door, where I lived most of my life.

Cities I’ve lived in:

Milwaukee WI: Birth place. Not really a bad city. But does not compare to it’s neighbor Chicago.

Pros: Nice public services. Transport, Parks, Libraries, Museums. On lake Michigan. Low cost of living for a big city. My family lives there. Weather- Spring and fall.

Cons: Dying Midwest industrial base. Crime, bad schools in the city. Weather-winter too cold, summer not as bad but often too hot.

Madison WI: My college town. Absolutely fabulous place with 2 exceptions- weather and too small for me.

Pros: Dominated by UW and capitol so full of smart interesting and liberal people. Situated on isthmus between 2 lakes. Quite beautiful. Relatively low CoL but it has gotten more pricy I hear. Profs could afford Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes on the lake when I was there. Big enough to have a variety of restaurants you might find in a big city but just not as many. Very good public schools, low crime etc.

Cons: Weather-hellish winters about 10 deg colder than Milwaukee, hellish hot summers. Too small for many cultural events. It was great as a student when I drank and did drugs as there are lots of good bars, dance clubs, street parties but nothing else really if you are not into that.

NY NY: Favorite US city that I have ever spent time in. Lived there for 7 years (3 in NJ but we won’t speak of that) No other city in the US compares- sorry Chicago, SF, LA.

Pros: Food, culture, science, parks, transport, clubs, bars, cabs, hot women and interesting people to look at, never sleeps.

Cons: Lack of public toilets. Urine stench. Weather-winter is OK and actually nice but then I compare to WI, my LA born wife thought it was freezing. Summer little too hot and sticky. CoL way too high. To live comfortably in Manhattan with kids would require about 500K/yr.

San Diego: Nice place to live with kids but too small/no character.

Pros: Weather- can’t beat the Mediterranean climate. And the whole S. Cali thing with desert, forests, mountains all driving distance. You really can ski and go to the beach on the same day. Nice place for kids. Some parts have good schools, sea world, beach, lego land, zoo, day trips provide lots of opportunity. LA weekend or even day trip away.

Cons: CoL too high. No public transport, spread out, no character.

Madison WI: My college town. Absolutely fabulous place with 2 exceptions- weather and too small for me.

Pros: Dominated by UW and capitol so full of smart interesting and liberal people. Situated on isthmus between 2 lakes. Quite beautiful. Relatively low CoL but it has gotten more pricy I hear. Profs could afford Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes on the lake when I was there. Big enough to have a variety of restaurants you might find in a big city but just not as many. Very good public schools, low crime etc.

Cons: Weather-hellish winters about 10 deg colder than Milwaukee, hellish hot summers. Too small for many cultural events. It was great as a student when I drank and did drugs as there are lots of good bars, dance clubs, street parties but nothing else really if you are not into that.
My mother and my younger sister recently moved from Columbus to Madison (She is getting her PhD), and they all love the place. It sounds exactly like my kind of town, with your two exceptions (I cannot STAND the cold, and I'm a city boy at heart too). It's a very interesting town though...safe, full of smart and interesting people, a top notch research university, walkable...I liked it a lot.

There are also some prety cool outdoorsy things when it warms up.

My family isn't much of a drinking/drug type though, and my younger sister is having a bit of a difficult time fitting in, since that seems to be part of the youth culture there.

Aachen, Germany

-overall nice place
-too much hippies though
-the kebab here is just awesome
-uhmm...we pay our stuff in Euros
-I like the carnival season here a lot
-the majority of the tourists who visit our city each year appear to be the victims of a tragically ended brain surgery
-it's one of the most western cities in Germany

WHAT!? I live here for more than eight years now, and all the time I'm lamenting, that there's no good Döner. What do you know, that I don't?

WHAT!? I live here for more than eight years now, and all the time I'm lamenting, that there's no good Döner. What do you know, that I don't?
My protip: Never visit those places where there is a too high tourist frequency.
You have to wander through the streets and make up your own experiences when it comes to discovering the localities where they serve you cheap, yet grandios food.

Detroit. Demographics, common history, etc. could point to this city having the capability to be a little Chicago. Alas...

Public Transit: Is awful. There is only bus lines and even those are horribly underfunded and unreliable. A city of 800-900,000 people that does not have a light rail or rapid transit system?(For reasons found below)

Racism: Similar to the New Orleans poster, only less in your face. Can't build too many grocery stores, it might attract "them". Can't have transit in the metro area, it evokes fears of "those kinds" getting around here easier. On the other side, don't want "them" commuting to our city to work or working on making it better because we don't need "their" help. Never mind that the people suffering job losses and a relatively poor QOL are not just "them" but lots of "us" as well and the principle reason is that no one can agree on anything substantive and productive.

Crime, filth, etc.

Low literacy, low appreciation for the arts.

Philistinistic regard for the magnificent architecture here. In how many other cities would a theater designed by a world renowned architect be turned into a parking garage?

I've heard here and there about a renaissance in Detroit.

I've heard about artists and developers buying up lots of houses for peanuts, but nothing like a full scale renaissance. Detroit is much farther down than Baltimore or DC. That said, I'm surprised gentrifyers haven't started buying up the abundant warehouse and factory space and converting them into condos and studios. If any place is ripe for gentrification, it's Detroit.

I've heard about artists and developers buying up lots of houses for peanuts, but nothing like a full scale renaissance. Detroit is much farther down than Baltimore or DC. That said, I'm surprised gentrifyers haven't started buying up the abundant warehouse and factory space and converting them into condos and studios. If any place is ripe for gentrification, it's Detroit.

Is Detroit where houses were sold for a buck?

That's exactly the kind of feeling I was referring to! It's painful. So you were in the "new" office building there, right? The one opposite to the Opera house and on the same side as the church, right? :)
Yes, on the corner of Staicoviciu... I believe there was also Veterinary College or smth a hundred yards towards Unirii. And a decent restaurant downstairs. :)

Overall, I quite loved this city. Too bad we had to close down our activities there...:sad:

They have to have an expectation that a revival is near and that they can get in on the ground floor. None of the conditions to suggest a revival in the foreseeable future exist in Detroit.

I am strongly considering taking some of the money I'll save from teaching for two years, and buying a place in Detroit for that same reason. Course, the prices shouldn't be that low in two years.

No-one's done Sydney, New South Wales yet?

The basics

Sydney is a world city, about 4.5 million people, extremely diverse, and a magnet for people all over the world so it attracts pretty much anything you might want to see, eat, or do. It's also so sprawly and low density that by geographical area it covers about the same space as Sao Paolo or Tokyo.

Pros

-Food. This has to be one of the best cities on the planet for eating, you can find pretty much anything.

-Culture/events/etc. Again, huge city = everything comes here.

-It's actually quite beautiful. Not just the obvious harbour and rivers and beaches, but also the rest is mostly quite leafy and green.

Cons

-Politics. Terrible, wasteful, corrupt, venal politicians have pissed away huge amounts of money and mismanaged all the infrastructure, especially health and transport. The city is run by thuggish developers. The cops are mostly corrupt.

-Too sprawly. Because it's so low density, it's too big, I know people who spend 4 hours travelling each day to get to work or university. This also means the best bits of the city are concentrated in small areas and the rest is mostly suburb.

-Liquor laws and nightlife. The laws are biased towards huge violent superpubs, with very few decent small pubs or suburban pubs around. So then when there is drunken violence from this overconcentration of drinkers, everyone is surprised and the laws get changed to be MORE restrictive rather than less.

I'll add to that as well...

Pros
- Great sporting events. AFL, NRL( if you like to wear a dress), ARU, and some soccer games. Not to forget about watching cricket at the mighty SCG!
- Beaches, we have the best beaches, all relatively close to public transport. If you feeling game, you can go to Bondi and grab a great meal on the beach, then wander over to the beach and you shouldn't have too long to wait before some European, most likely a pom, will try and drown themselves.
- National Parks. Lots around Sydney. There's the Royal National, or the Blue Mountains, or head up to Pittwater and spend the day on the water.

Cons
- Can be a bit rough in some parts.
- Swans' supporters!!!:mad:
- Property is expensive, unless you want to live out west! :eek:

Yes, on the corner of Staicoviciu... I believe there was also Veterinary College or smth a hundred yards towards Unirii. And a decent restaurant downstairs. :)

Overall, I quite loved this city. Too bad we had to close down our activities there...:sad:

Ah that thing (University of Veterinary Medicine) actually is one of the few buildings that was entirely restored... :D You can't really tell in the summer since it's so covered by trees, but it actually looks very nice now.

You know, a few years ago (2-3) I was coming there almost every 2 days.... Changing buses at the Eroilor station. If I knew a fellow CFC-er was there, I would've waved you from downstairs. :D

Top Bottom