Do you like star wars?

Do you like star wars

• Total voters
Moderator Action: I would remind people that this is a discussion forum.

Please provide some insight into your reasons for your answer, and perhaps some other discussion-worthy input.

Thank-you.

For me: Yes, I liked the original 3, although when I look back now, I think that the acting, especially in episode 4 (A new hope, original star wars) was terrible & cringe-worthy. By return of the jedi, it had got much better.

I hated episode 1 - felt that ja-ja binks ruined it, and that the story was fairly poor. Episode 2 & 3 were "OK", but I think that in young annakin (Hayden someone?) we had the return of the terrible acting again. :ack:

I like all three of the original trilogy series. The only prequal trillogy that I liked was the Revenge of The Sith.

The original trilogy was ok. But the latest movies are pretty awful.

I'm a big fan of the original series. I do enjoy the new trilogy, but for entirely different reasons (like growing up with them, etc.) and not as much as the originals. They are, in my mind, two entirely different works that happen to be set in the same universe.

I don't care so much for the series. I re-watched them recently, and for some reason the dialogue just seemed more hackneyed and cheesy than I remember it. Also, they kind of ruin the epic mood with the annoying droid conversations that are obviously thrown in as a bad joke and nothing else. Or the Jedi and their fortune cookie wisdom, which they could have done without.

Also, I utterly hate the Phantom Menace, I think it was called. The sole reason: Jar Jar Binks.

'Star Wars' ... hmmm ...... my takes:

1. As a 'grand fantasy', :goodjob: x 5. (Five thumbs up.) Its story flow is centered around the psychological archetypes (as mentioned by James Cambell, which influenced George Lucas). Good vs. Evil, epic battles, sorcery (the 'Force'), unique personalities and characters, many exotic locations ..... rich ingredients for a 'grand fantasy'.

2. As a 'science fiction', so and so. I would say ... '2001' and 'Star Trek' deals with sci-fi thingies much more extensively. However, not entirely the fault of 'Star Wars' -- insterstellar battles have usually been portrayed as oceanless version of WW2 carrier battles, with starships and starfighters maneuvering and firing just like their WW2 counterparts. I guess any sci-fi producer would face a major constraint in that they have to portray such scenes to a general audience who are not very familiar with laws of physics applicable to the outer space.

3. Episodes IV, V and VI were pretty good. But I am less certain about I, II and III. When I watched these first three, I felt Lucas was rushing Anakin's development. Switching side to Palpatine because of the nightmare showing Padmé's death .... rather unconvincing. It should have taken something much more grave for Anakin to switch sides. Also the way Palpatine suddenly turned the Clone Troopers against the Jedi ... also unconvincing, considering the fact that these troopers and the Jedi knights have been fighting side by side and risked danger together across the galaxy. I think it might have been better to combine I and II into a prelude, then allow lot more time to develop Anakin and Obi-Wan. Also, a considerable amount of plot time would have required to make the Jedi to transition from the 'guardians' of the Republic to the 'enemies' of the Republic in a more believable manner.

There was something to enjoy in each of the Star Wars movies. And there are six movies. Clone Wars doesn't - doesn't count. ;)
When I watched these first three, I felt Lucas was rushing Anakin's development. Switching side to Palpatine because of the nightmare showing Padmé's death .... rather unconvincing. It should have taken something much more grave for Anakin to switch sides.
That wasn't the only thing. What, you think he killed those Sand People for jollies? You think Palpatine, who was a buddy of his ever since Naboo, wasn't teaching him little things off on the side that skirted Jedi traditions? (We see as much in Episode II before he leaves Coruscant with the Senator.) And the events of the Clone Wars, books and the original cartoon series, at least helped in that regard too, because it showed Anakin doing more and more stuff that pulled him deeper and deeper into the dark side. He used his rage to bring down an entire factory with the Force on Tythe right before the Battle of Coruscant while chasing Dooku. Dooku thought as much during the duel on the Invisible Hand: Anakin was half Sith already, and he didn't even know it yet.

Besides, to take an analogy: insanity's a bit like gravity. All it takes...is a little push. :evil:
neutrino said:
Also the way Palpatine suddenly turned the Clone Troopers against the Jedi ... also unconvincing, considering the fact that these troopers and the Jedi knights have been fighting side by side and risked danger together across the galaxy.
Clones...flash-learning...order comes from the Chancellor, who is the supreme legal, military, and political authority in the Republic...the Chancellor has the legal authority, as per the Security Act introduced and passed the day after the Battle of Coruscant, to dissolve the Jedi Order...and, of course, it's not as though all clones obeyed their orders. The commandos in particular ignored Order 66 when it came through, for instance, and there was Roan Shryne getting away on Murkhana.
neutrino said:
Also, a considerable amount of plot time would have required to make the Jedi to transition from the 'guardians' of the Republic to the 'enemies' of the Republic in a more believable manner.
But they were the guardians of the Republic. :p

Last edited:
I'd prefer star peace but its an unfortunate reality that stars can't get along. They're only human, after all. One thing I don't understand though is the obsession people have with their conflicts. So what if they're celebrities, they deserve privacy too. So I guess I'd have to say I don't like star wars, though I understand why they occur, and at the same time I wish celebrity worship in general would end.

Fantasy fairy-tale disguised as sci-fi. Star Wars marks a huge setback for science fiction as a genre.
This is roughly equivalent to claiming that Raiders of the Lost Ark was a terrible romance movie.

Fantasy fairy-tale disguised as sci-fi. Star Wars marks a huge setback for science fiction as a genre.
Limitation endemic to popular imagination. Doubly so, if an idea were to be converted into a format that can easily be transmitted through mass media.

A no-nonsense sci-fi scene of a spaceship would resemble working inside a submarine much more than the kind of scenes we have become familiar from decades of 'Star Wars'.

I love the original three. Yes, if you start to think about them, and analyse them, then they start to lose some of their lustre, but if you just sit back and accept them as a wonderful piece of fantasy, they're great.

The prequels, less so. Much less so.

How did it keep "real" science fiction writers from writing?

What? Sounds to me like you're the cool kid who is too cool for something just because it's mainstream. :p

Except for the fact that it pretty much single-handedly created a science fiction film industry.

I love Star Wars, especially the Expanded Universe, but hate the direction it is currently taking. Kill Lucas now, before he pisses on his legacy even more. Speaking of Legacy, :vomit:

Top Bottom