Do you like the new forum?

BirraImperial

Pura Vida!
I find it a bit weird...might take some time for me to get used to it...Having said that, there's a problem with Tapatalk the people in charge might want to check out...

It's a change, that's for sure. Not sure what to think about it, though. I have to adjust to it, rebuild my ignore list, and change my alert preferences, and I think the whole awards system is silly. Maybe I'll come to appreciate the "like" feature, or maybe it'll turn into a popularity contest.

It is too early to say for sure. Things are still changing.

Tapatalk is no longer necessary and is not installed on the migrated installation. Use the mobile version of the forum; it's fluid width and will work perfectly on mostly any smartphone.

It is too early to say for sure. Things are still changing.

Tapatalk is no longer necessary and is not installed on the migrated installation. Use the mobile version of the forum; it's fluid width and will work perfectly on mostly any smartphone.

I like the Tapatalk notifications on my phone...I hope they can make the forums compatible with the app...

Meh, the layout's manageable, I wasn't particularly attached to the old one, and we get like features!

But postcount doesn't show anymore. I expect my activity's going to fall pretty heavily as a result.

Most of the 'new' things are most likely the result of customisation options not being implemented yet. e.g. the like system - there wasn't some conscious decision that now we must have a like system, it was just that it's stock-standard with Xenoforo. It may be continued, it may be turned off. That remains to be seen, but functionality is a bigger priority.

It's useful though to discuss what you like and what you don't like about the new forum.

I hate it. At least when TrekBBS switched, they gave plenty of notice and had a beta version for those of us who wanted to try it out to see if it was buggy.

1. No collapsible forums. I only play Civ II; why should I have to scroll past all the rest of that stuff between Site Feedback and the Colosseum?

2. This theme is too bright; it literally hurts my eyes.

3. Where are the social groups? Did anyone on staff give a single thought to notifying the people who run these groups that years' worth of posts would just vanish? It would have been nice to have a PM to give us a chance to preserve anything important.

4. I haven't yet had a chance to check out A&E to see how the voting system works and if I can still run Iron Pen as it's meant to be run. What are the limits for PMs and posts (as in # of characters)?

Reactions: pob
Not really a fan. I never really like change for the sake of change and I wasn't aware of any problems with the old layout. Plus the writing is all way too big now.

Not really a fan. I never really like change for the sake of change and I wasn't aware of any problems with the old layout.
This is my general feeling. Why fix what isint broken?

1. No collapsible forums. I only play Civ II; why should I have to scroll past all the rest of that stuff between Site Feedback and the Colosseum?
This has got to be my biggest peeve on the site that I agree with. There are no options for me to collapse the Civ forums for versions that I haven't touched in years.

3. Where are the social groups? Did anyone on staff give a single thought to notifying the people who run these groups that years' worth of posts would just vanish?
Unfortunately, the DYOS group that I've founded years ago, got swept away into the void. It would have been nice that the new forum software had groups. Though not all is all lost since we've migrated the group function outside of CFC in dA.

Last edited:
Hmm. Also don't like the fact that there's only 20 topics per page instead of 30 now, and no obvious way of changing that. Just means more clicking.

This is my general feeling. Why fix what isint broken?

It was broken, just not obviously on the user-end (yet). CFC was running on a laughably antiquated vBulletin version. It's a wonder it made it this long without needing to be switched, and that's evidenced by this switch taking place so abruptly.

Way easier to participate from my phone, so that's bad I guess. I mean good. Yes, good.

I still want the vbulliten back from before the 2004 upgrade if I can be nostalgic for a cfc aesthetic. At least we have thin divides between posts again.

I never realised that you could collapse the old forums, so it's not a feature I'm missing right now. The grey text on white is abominable though.

I see black text on tan

I see black text on off-white. I don't get the complaints about the colors, I vastly preferred my blue skin from before but this isn't actively painful to read or anything. I'm also assuming we will get back the ability to change the display skin sooner or later.

I have black on white for the main text, but signatures, post numbers and so on are all in pale grey, which makes for terrible contrast.

Top Bottom