1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you make threads even if you know i mod will close them?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Highgeneral, Jun 23, 2004.

?

do you make threads that are doomed to faliure?

1. HELL YEA!!!

10.0%
  2. some times

3.3%
  3. once in a blue moon

23.3%
  4. NO never im not a spammer!!!

63.3%
  1. Highgeneral

Highgeneral Gone forever!

Well i made a thread while ago about Apolyton vs CFC. I think it got three post then it was closed. But i had a idea it would have been closed, but i still made it. So do you make threads that are doomed to be closed?

2. SeleucusNicator

SeleucusNicator Diadoch

I've only had one thread I made closed, and that decision was overturned briefly thereafter.

3. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

To the best of my recollection, I've never had a thread closed at all. Maybe that's because I get so bored with controversy that I don't bother to try to start any. If I were starting a thread that I felt was in danger of being over the line, I'd make damn sure I could give valid justification for why the thread should exist, and hope that the mods could be persuaded by rational argument to keep it open. But I don't think that's ever happened yet.

4. taper

taper Meet Tux

Since this might get closed anyway, I'd like to point out that HighGeneral's sig is more than 6 lines.

EDIT: He fixed it, guess he does somewhat respect the mod's power.

5. Highgeneral

well its like this, there was a thread about apolyton refugee camp in in C2P topic. When the moderator closed it he said if you want to tank about the differnces in Apolyton and CFC take it to OT so i did.

6. stratego

stratego Trying to be good.

I had one thread that was closed. It was about the US finding WMD in Iraq. Apparently "fake" articles are not appreciated here. It was later moved to HJ though. Actually I think I had several other threads closed before, but I forgot why.

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Maybe if you wanted to talk about the differences it would be okay, but you were doing an us vs. them type thread. That's just an invitation to flaming.

I had a protest thread when I was a young newbie, ah what a hellion I was!

8. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Yeah, um . . . you might want to stop harping on that. PM a mod if you really feel the decision was unjust, but it's really not a good thing to keep opening new threads to talk about it. I imagine it must be very frustrating to have your thread closed, but if you PM the mods and can't convince them to re-open it, it's best to just let it go and move on.

9. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

ive started a total of 3 threads,2 of them got shut down

i never thought any of them would be closed
    some people here are too sensitive

10. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

@HG: He speaks wisely, and I've answered your PM. :)

Opening threads that you know will get closed has the side-effect of annoying mods. If you 'know' that they will get closed, then basically you 'know' that you are intentionally breaking the rules. Therefore, you should not be surprised if this peaks above the tolerance levels of the mods, and action is taken.

11. Highgeneral

well you people can talk yall have a ton of post i don't!! I don't even have enough to have a costum avater or what ever.

12. Garbarsardar.jr

Garbarsardar.jr subtitled

2 cases
    I asked the mods to close one of my threads bacause it was getting spammy(women as resource in civ4 :blush: )

a second thread was closed as a copycat, and I was convinced I was wrong after an extended PM exchange.

Compared to other forums, I find the moderators rather moderate here. :)

13. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

We are not too pleased when someone opens a thread that they know will be closed. Its a pretty obvious breach of the rules. Normally a warning for a first time offence; after that bans.

More commonly there are threads that are border line and the best way to check is to Pm a mod. I get quite a few PMs asking my opinion on something. If it really is a close call I take it to the Batcave er mods fourm and ask for a few opinions.

Sometimes there is a wothwhile thread that just goes bad. Folk wont or cant stay on topic or cant post about a sensitive topic in a mature waw, and they get closed too.

Moving this to SF.

14. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Well, I had a thread closed yesterday. I don't think it was unjust, but I wouldn't say I was at fault, as I was asking about certain inactive members.
    Otherwise, to my memory the only one I started and I knew would get closed was the "Proof mods exist" thread at the height of the "prove x exists" thread phase.

15. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I never makes threads because they will be closed. In fact, I didn't know that my :p vs. :p and lol vs :lol: thread would be closed :p.

16. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

I don't think that any of my threads have been closed, although I haven't started to many. I would never intentionally post a topic I knew was going to cause trouble.

17. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I rarely start threads but I cannot remember ever opening a thread which I expected to be locked...

18. KaNick

KaNick Deity

No I do not. But I may be a spammer ;)

19. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Where's the "No, never, but I'm nonetheless a spammer" option?

I can't recall I've ever got a thread closed here. I wouldn't post one if I was sure it would be closed, but if I felt it just might, I'd take my chances.

20. Flak

Flak vBülletin Förum

I've had two threads closed that I can recall. One of those was reopened after petition. Never started one on purpose that I thought would be closed, but I think I've come close.