1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you miss Wonder Cinematics?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TheMarshmallowBear, Mar 10, 2012.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Anybody misses the wonder constructions just a little bit?

There was just something... that made you feel fuzzy inside when you saw the Pyramids getting constructed in fast-motion in Civ 4...

The simple splash screens.. it's just.. eh, alright, let's move on. It just doesn't have the same effect on me.

2. Stormbolt

Stormbolt Chieftain

Not particularly. I'd always skip them after seeing them for the first time anyways.

3. Calder

Calder Warlord

I miss the wonder movies and especially the victory cinematics which were both a nice touch in civ IV - I'm hoping they bring them back in the new expansion.

4. TheMarshmallowBear

I agree with that, (yeah, I just contraindicated <- I don't know how to spell the word, neither does Mozilla xD ) my own post) they get old soon, same with the Tech quotes, but they are still nice to watch.

5. Lochlann

Lochlann Warlord

Yes, I do miss them. The animations, and the music just as much. Even if they got old after a while--and not all of them did, to me--it still felt like more of a gratifying acknowledgement of the specialness of a Great Wonder, of the long turns of building (and the anxiety that accompanied those last few turns...) that went into it. It packed more of an "oomph." The still splash screens don't do that for me.

6. jackal1234

jackal1234 Chieftain

animated advisers too. made you feel like you were running a real government

7. TheMarshmallowBear

Those were in Civ 2 right? I have Civ complete with Civ 2 in it, they were funny during Anarchy..

I kinda miss Civ 3's Advisors, in Civ 4 I don't think they even were there, and Civ 5 they are pretty much useless too.

8. AxelRhodd

AxelRhodd Warlord

I miss all the fruit...

- From Civ 1, Little animation of settlers with their horse carriages halting to a stop to settle a new town

- Wonder movies

- City view

- Throne room or Palace view

- From Civ 1 the diplo screen where the leader was surrounded by his/her advisors giving additional visual feedback indicating their strength

All these cosmetic features really made me feel like Im building a CIVILIZATION

OK... where is my 386 PC... gotta load CIV1 :crazyeye::king:

9. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

No.

Honestly, I really don't. I love the quote + oil painting feature, it's amazing

10. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

I admit I wouldnt watch most of them every game, but I would stop and watch a couple. Animations I have never cared for (mostly cause my computer can't handle much it seems), but the wonder movies I always enjoyed.

Wish that they come back for Civ 6.

11. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

Yeah I miss it alot.

12. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

This is also my view...

13. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

I prefer a lot more the oil paintings, the civ4 movies were just bland.

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I liked the wonder cinematics, but then, the splash screens are awesome too. So I don't "miss" the mini-movies, because what has replaced then is equally good. Fits better with the overall art design too, I think.

Contradicted. :)

15. Optional

Optional Deity

Yes, I like the oil paintings, there's an orchestra, a quote, this is tastefully done.

What I do miss is decent victory screens...

16. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I only miss the Great Wall video, it was the most epic of them all. The scale, the tempo, the whole concept mimicking a sweeping Chinese dragon and the flags appearing on towers in rhythm with the music... Good times! All of those videos were great, but music was mediocre at best in most of them. I really like the paintings more and it's better because they are associated with tasteful quotes. I really feel rewarded when I hear the music and see fine art. The artworks themselves are a fountain of inspiration for me as a digital painter.

17. monkeymcbain

monkeymcbain Chieftain

The main thing i miss is the space victory video from civ 2. There was something about the 2001 theme with the video of the ship landing that felt so epic

18. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Well, I'll glive the nicely made Civ 5 images the edge over Civ 4's somewhat incomplete videos. Nicely made cinematics that didn't tax the system would be even better. Alpha Centurai had some nice vids IIRC.

And while I didn't play Civ2, if Youtube is anything to go by, that style of advisor needs to come back. Whether famous actors or just the game developers, as long as it's as hammy as in Civ 2 I would love it.

19. stlh2opolo

stlh2opolo Chieftain

So I've never played any of the other Civ games, and I just you-tubed a bunch of the wonder cinematics -- and I love them! The great wall especially is very cool.

I don't have a problem with the current splash screens, but I wouldn't mind these as a replacement.

I would want a victory video before I would want these, though.

20. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Prince

Civ4 wonder videos were awful. They had no soul. Oil paintings are nice. There is a lot of effort put into them especially if we compare them to Civ3 wonder...ehh...pictures...
    But nothing can beat Civ2 and SMAC wonder videos.