1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you name your units?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by tommytoxen, Sep 22, 2018.

?

Do you like to name your units?

1. Autistically

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. When I remember

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes only after promotions

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Who the heck has time for that?

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Chieftain

I have EUI so I can rename them anytime but I only like to rename them once they've earned a promotion, a little reward. I'm trying for a realistic naming system but having trouble finding the info, the uk army system is so complex i dunno what the difference is between company, platoon, brigade etc. but right now i'm naming them like

1st BN Queen's Own REGT
    1st COY Royal Horse Guard
    1st PL Royal Artillery

Using standard acronyms (battallion, company, platoon). Does this sound about right? Any army goers here?

And how do you name your units?

2. Warmonger Max

Warmonger Max Chieftain

I didn't know you could! I guess EUI is a mod that allows that? Cool, off to find it now.

Naming all promoted and gifted units is what I would do, and will do after I find that mod.

aafritz17 and tommytoxen like this.
  3. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Chieftain

In vanilla you can name any unit after a promotion. When you have the promotion thingy show up there's an edit link.

But yeah with EUI you can rename anytime by right clicking on the unit name. It's built into Vox Populii which I 100% recommend.

Anyway I changed my naming system last night. Decided to go with something more simple and gives my promoted units a bit of regimental history as they upgrade through the eras. I think it'll be cool when they're mechanized infantry the regiment is called Queen's Archers or Swordsman Guards showing their historic importance. I think it gives a nice personal touch to my troops and a little backstory to my civ, i like it

Here's my current regiments

4. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Naming your units feels like naming your cow right before you eat a nice juicy piece of steak.

5. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Supporter

I have actually done all three of these.

6. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Supporter

Well, not "right before". Had to wait until Chris was 1200 pounds or so.

7. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

I give my units alphabetical names when I promote them, like my first unit might be "Andy", and my next "Beatrice" and so on.

I always name my ships after starships from Star Trek. Like I'll name my first Caravel "Discovery", and another "Voyager", and "Intrepid" and such. And I always try to name my "flagship" "Enterprise", and I also take names like "Excelsior", "Endeavor", and such. I'll name my first Privateer "Defiant", and so on. I'm rather obsessive about it lol.

8. Warmonger Max

Warmonger Max Chieftain

I like that idea. Certainly adds a personal touch using personal names. In other games I have used names of my favorite athletes from today and the past. It really feels emotional when one of my heroes get killed off. LOL!

9. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

What do you name your Kris swordsmen when they get an Evil Spirits promotion?