1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you owe allegiance to any brands?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr. Dictator, Jan 22, 2008.

1. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I hate the phrase brand loyalty... it implies you're a traitor if you buy another brand... cringeworthy

2. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

Slave to the brand would be better :yup:.

3. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

I'm brand loyal on virtually every minor purchase, since it keeps me from having to think about things that don't really matter.

The only big ticket item I've been brand loyal to is Honda for cars, since my first two each ran great for about ten years and 250,000 miles. Even still, I'll probably buy something else next time, just because I'm bored with Honda. I still think they're the best though :love:

My most bizarre minor purchase brand loyalty is to Publix. I usually buy the Publix store-brand everything when given the choice, unless I've got an established reason to get something else.

Other than that I like All-Clad cookware, Post Bran Flakes, Godiva chocolate, Polo khakis, New Balance shoes, Asolo boots, Teva sandals, and I have a favorite maple syrup but I don't know the brand name, just what the bottle looks like.

Anchor's Liberty Ale is probably my most inelastic brand loyalty -- I'll spend hours driving to multiple stores if I can't find it.

Speaking of driving, I pretty much always buy my gas at Chevron, unless I'm desperate.

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Well, take coffee for instance. The brand I posted is a bit more expensive than other brands. My parents and my girlfriend have tried to trick me by buying a cheaper product and putting it in the tin instead. Everytime I complained that the coffee was too strong, or there was something wrong with the taste. I usually commented that there must be something wrong with the filter. Found out about it when I emptied the bin one time. Can't trust women :(

When I started smoking I smoked anything, but after a while I found that this brand just tasted better than the others. I have no reasons, coolfactor or anything (the cool things to smoke when I was young were Camels or Marlboros) beside that to buy it.

I grant that the taste of habit might very well play a part, I'm used to that taste, so it tastes the best. But I figure that's often the case.

The beer is one of the cheaper beers and my friends labeled it canoe-beer (f-ing close to water). I dislike strong tasting beers.

5. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

Well, my influence to pick nokia was experience only. I have had several phones, and dealt with many others from friends and relatives. Invariably, Nokias were more intuitive and longer lasting (even though resource-wise rarely a brand had significant advantages over others). as so, I will always pick a nokia over other brands, unless I have reason to do otherwise.

I don't know if this can be called "loyalty", but I assume so, and this certainly don't amount to blind devotion due to advertisement brain cleansing...

6. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

It's good that you mention habit. That's an important link in the chain of events that led to you liking that brand of coffee and noting the difference when it was denied to you.

I suppose you had no problems with the brand of coffee that you drank before the one that became your preferred brand? Why did your taste change? In other words, why did you come to like that particular brand of coffee in the first place.

Sorry to seem like such a skeptic here. I just think there's a whole load more nurture than nature when it comes to such tastes.

7. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    Well, yeah, but so?

8. Rambuchan

But so that means we are generally fickle and powerless to the manipulation of the mythologies that brands create.

9. Eran of Arcadia

Nurture isn't always the result of manipulation, not in this case. I may like a particular food only as the result of habit, but that doesn't mean the manufacturer did anything insidious.

10. Ziggy Stardust

To be honest, I can't recall.
    Not at all, I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying. It is definatly true that you can learn to enjoy tastes you thought were horrible before.

Maybe the experiences from other aquired tastes make you like or dislike something you never tried before. Maybe if you were forcefed sourkrout as a kid, you'll hate it because of the association.

edit: But it never depended on the brand for me. I don't like Douwe Egberts because it is Douwe Egberts the Brand (tm), if you catch my drift.

11. Rambuchan

What is it then? Your freewill?

Like I said already, how you got into the habit in the first place is the question to ask.

There are plenty of insidious things about advertising. It made us believe cigarettes were good for our health back in the day. We tried them, got into the habit, and were stuck with them, till they killed us in many cases. On a less insidious note, you may taste chocolate, and a particular brand of chocolate at that, after being subliminally or overtly influenced by their advertising. As the messages and associations created by the advertising get enhanced and magnified when combined with your experience, you get into the habit of eating that chocolate, which leads to you going out of your way to spend your money on it. This is money that you would likely have never spent in the first place. It's a polite form of theft in a way. You may be ok with that, but I have to keep reminding myself to lay off. We, as humans, are very much prone to the power of suggestion (see the article below). It's also the consumer society at work, getting us into the belief that spending money on products will make us happy.

Also, consider this and let me know what you think:

12. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

There isnt any mysteries, nescaffe ice coffee simply is the best taste-wise and it has the most potent caffeine kick which can keep me clearly awake for at least 5 or 6 hours. I drink it in massive quantities during school week.

13. Ciceronian

Ciceronian Latin Scholar

In my experience, cheaper wines usually taste better, so I would not have been fooled by the experiment. The best wine I currently know of is a South African Cabernet Sauvignon / Pinotage from Aldi for 3.50 pounds. I make a conscious decision to purchase products from budget brands or retailers, like Aldi. They just tend to be the best, or at the very least the best value for money.

14. Rambuchan

Your loyalty to the Aldi brand is quite admirable Ciceronian. There's life in the old nationalist dog yet.

It's often like that. For example...
    I used to be perfectly happy drinking instant coffee. Then I "discovered" ground coffee, can't remember how, and now I can't stand instant. Ignorance was bliss. Advertising seeks to "inform" us.

Indeed. Our tastes are influenced by the associations that go with certain experiences, whether they be having our parents force feed us, or us smoking a certain cigarette after some particularly good sex. The point of advertising is to create those associations, through abstractions that linger in our mind, and have those dominate or indeed create the real life (rather than abstracted) experiences.

Not really. :)

15. Ziggy Stardust

Drinking DE is hardly a badge of honour or something to show off. So I don't drink it because it's the Brand DE. Neither do I look down on lesser brands.

I may be brainwashed, at least I'm not a poser.

16. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I'll go out of my way for:
    Dr. Bronner's soap.
    Arnold bakery bread. (if I can't find HOVIS)
    Cabot dairy products.
    Victoria's Secret bras.

Ooh. Yeah. I always buy Svedka. Always. Unless I need flavored vodka, in which case, Stoli. But basically always Svedka.

17. Eran of Arcadia

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That also kinda applies to other products.

When I studied economics in school, I distinctly remember learning about a concept which states that consumers look at the price as an indication of quality. So, if you have two products, exactly the same, one cheaper than the other.. common sense would dictate that most people go after the cheaper one.. but a lot of people will actually go for the more expensive product, expecting it to be of a higher quality. I don't remember the name of this concept, and it is far more complex than what I just described, but it's exactly the same principle as the wine example above.

I think you expect the wine not to be as good if you don't pay that much for it.. and thus you already have a preconceived notion of its quality before you taste it.

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Give Wyborowa a try one of these days :)

20. crabapple

crabapple I am watching

if the person in question is concerned with status, with most people are, that they have to show off "I am rich and cool", then they will choose the expensive one. Others just want it to taste good