1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you plan on playing Civ5 after Civ6 comes out?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Oct 11, 2016.

?

Will you play Civilization 5 after Civilization 6 comes out?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2016.
  1. Yes I will play a considerable amount

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Yes I may play a game here or there

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. No I will have moved on completely

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. I don't plan on purchasing Civilization 6

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Civ6 is right around the corner. Strangely I'm playing the most Civ 5 right now than I ever have in the past. Even more now than when the 2nd expansion came out. This coming from a guy who hated vanilla Civ5. I'm in love with this game now, and enjoying getting as many achievements as I can before Civ6 comes out.

I've been thinking about it, and I have been thinking I will miss Civ5 because I'm having so much fun with it right now. I want to continue playing Civ5, but I kind of know I won't continue playing because Civ 6 is so much like Civ5 but better (from what I've seen on Quils and Marb's Let's Plays). I'm still not sure how I will vote in this poll. I will probably vote I'll play a game here and there which is kind of what I did with Civ4.

Even though I felt Civ4 was the better game, I eventually grew bored of it and stopped playing. Plus it was getting harder to remember the rules of Civ4 if I went back and forth between games. They really are quite different games. I think Civ 6 will be much more like Civ5 where as Civ5 is completely different from Civ 4. But Civ6 is has enough improvements that it will make going back to Civ5 harder. Remembering the different rules of past games isn't always easy.

Feel free to post your thoughts of Civilization 5 on the eve of Civ6.

2. dasaard200

dasaard200 Prince

DAMN RIGHT, I'LL STAY WITH CivV; I've had the Game for 2 1/2 years, and I'm still learning it !!

On the flip side, my gaming budget went down to ZERO, and in the first year, the money saved bought a flat-screen TV for Christmas !!!

3. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

For me it depends. For the past two civ games, I have bought them and then gone back to play the prior ones till some patches and expansions come out. Eventually it will be my new permanent civ.

4. beetle

beetle Deity

I’ll skip the step of going back to play the prior ones by waiting to buy until some patches and expansions come out. I am happy to let others pay full MSRP and work out the bugs for me — so I can play the patched version at a fire sale price. Eventually it will be my new permanent civ.

narmox likes this.
  5. docbud

docbud Emperor

I won't be buying it for a while as I need to buy a new iMac with the specs to handle it.

But it's hard to say if I would play it and then go back. After all, I bought Civ BE and after a few games I found it boring and nowhere as enjoyable as Civ V. Maybe I'll feel that way about Civ 6. Probably not--but who knows.

And I agree with beetle--wait until it's cheaper and the bugs are fixed.

6. HeliosDisciple

HeliosDisciple Warlord

It's gonna be hard to leave Byzantium, but 6 looks like it's got so many improvements...

7. AJ22PIZZA

AJ22PIZZA Chieftain

I'll switch between the two, but global happiness being gone makes Civ VI more appealing to me

8. beetle

beetle Deity

Disclaimer: I have not bought BE yet, still not inexpensive enough for what it is -- a CiV mod.

BE is tough sell. SMAC did as well as it did because of the in-game story telling, revealed in small bits integrated with each aspect of the game mechanics. BE does not have that.

Civ6 you will like for same reasons everyone liked II, III, IV, V. Playing off actual history lets the player make up the story.

narmox likes this.
  9. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Yes, I will.

There still appear to be quite a few things about VI that I will find highly annoying, like the FoG meaning I won't be able to study the map beyond my range of visibility.

I will most likely pre-buy VI, and play it when it comes out, but after about a week I will be back playing III or V. Until some mods and maps come out.

10. Sedwick

Sedwick Parent, then Civ'er

I will likely finish the game I'm on, then go straight to VI. I'm lucky to get 3 hours a week to play the game, and that was 5 months ago. With my limited time, I'll just want to stay current, though I may wait for the first expansion.

11. snoproblem

snoproblem Chieftain

I'm waiting a couple of years before buying Civ VI, to let a few updates and so forth build up. In the meantime (naturally) I'll be racking up the game hours on V.

12. Jart

Jart Chieftain

Goodbye Civ V you are now gone from my game drive. You did annoy me from time to time but I grew to accept most of your quirks. I am moving on to a new friend with whom I am sure will present some challenges and grief but in the end I hope will be as great a companion as you.

13. Joch

Joch Warlord

still playing Civ5 and CivBE here. I am having fun and learning something new every game.

I will pick up Civ6 eventually.

14. dasaard200

dasaard200 Prince

Methinks that the general opinion on Civ VI would read, "Go ahead boy, YOU go find those bugs, for ME".

Meanwhile, I'm 5 SPolicies away from a 3 Achievement Celts game !

15. aafritz17

aafritz17 Prince Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Soooo...

Played a couple hours of VI last weekend, then had a business trip. Played another hour this morning, and...yeah, I'm back to V.

There are a bunch of things that look like they'll be cool improvements, but right now there are too many shortcomings. V is still very fun for me, and I still have a lot to learn. For me, VI just does not generate any passion. At least right now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  16. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Many of the problems Civ5 had [super-fast tech/slow production, tech beelining, absurd warmonger penalties] and I solved with mods are back at Civ6 in full force. Also, it has no earth map! So yes, Civ5 it is.

17. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Staying with Civ 5, especially after what I`ve learned about it- Not being able to name myself or my cities is a big no, no for me. maybe they`ll fix that in 6 months. To be honest I didn`t buy Civ 5 until about 2 years and the game had been fixed to a reasonable level. I`ll wait that long again if need be.

I`m just glad I`ve learned not to buy on release any more just because I`m a fan- I have a brain too.

18. claudiupb

claudiupb King

My PC can barely run civ5, so I'm staying for a while.

19. Convict

Convict Warlord

Depends- I bought Beyond Earth and I couldn't like it. I'll buy Civ VI but if it is not great I will be back to G & K which I do like.

20. phryxolydian

phryxolydian Warlord

You don't like BNW? :dubious:

Sedwick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.