Do you play Alien Crossfire or classic SMAC?

socrateach

Chieftain
I'm just wondering how many SMAC players choose Alien Crossfire and how many prefer classic. Personally, I like Alien Crossfire because I have more choices for factions. I also like some of the new landmarks, such as the Unity wreckage. Alien Crossfire also lets me play my (usually) favorite group, the Nautilus Pirates.

------------------
"A thousand years scarce serve to form a state; An hour may lay it in the dust." Lord Byron

I play them both, but I like Alien Crossfire a lot better. I play either the Pirates or the Angels. Sometimes, I play the Caretakers. I created my own faction within Alien Crossfire, and I sometimes play them.

------------------
"Shake the world beneath your feet up"
--Johnny Clegg

sorry but i dont agree im a die hard SMAC fan i've tried alein crossfire but it just cant[in my opinon] compete w/ the origanal.

I play the original SMAC, just because from what I've heard Alien Crossfire isn't really worth the investment... I find plenty of variety in the original 7 factions.

Alien Crossfire was what got me make into the AC world. Smac had grown a bit dull and I hadn't played it for a long time until I discovered Crossfire.

------------------
Apolyton Refugee....

I play SMAC only...I hate SMACx...the new factions are lifeless...the pirates for gits and the aliens just a pain in the neck.

I play SMAC for its atmosphere...personable factions and the thrill of exploring and conquering by science, war, diplomacy or economy a harsh new world!

Both, I have smac with no patches on one machine and smax with the lastest patch on another (faster) machine.

I only play Alpha Centauri cos i am to cheap to buy the expansion

It a good thing you are cheap cus u would of wasted that money

What exactly IS Alien Crossfire? I've seen it while passing by in stores, but never really had a close look. I play the original, but if someone could impress me with a description of the expansion version, I might have to grab that as well.

IMO its not worth the buy but who knows maybe im missing somthing (i doubt it) i hear the new factions arent that creative and its exactly like the old one cept has like two new sp and like three new base facilites.

------------------
Somewhere between war and diplomacy is the realm of the spy

[This message has been edited by spycatcher34 (edited August 09, 2001).]

I prefer smax but typicaly use more of the 7 old factions than of the new ones.

I prefer SMACX - it has a higher version number, so I think it has some of the bugs fixed (but which I don't know). I also like the new Landmarks.
I play my forever Duckland custom tribe a lot which is a very commercial-militant faction. But then, the militant aspect is just for preemptive self-defense.

------------------
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT size="2"><FONT COLOR="green">"Duckland must put an end to war before war puts an end to Duckland"</FONT c>
-- J.Quack Kennedy
</FONT s></FONT f>

SMACX is not a necessity, but personally my favourite faction from all the 14 are the Manifold Caretakers.

The Manifold Caretakers:

Faction Features:
+1 Planet, +25% defensive strength, Recycling Tanks free in each base.
Starting Techs: Biogenetics, Information Networks, Centauri Ecology.
No Social Engineering restrictions(but Planned is their Agenda).

Features(because of being alien):
No Trade(Use Energy Grid instead: +1/2 energy for every installation build, +2 for every Secret Project)
Doesn't participate in Parlament.
All units have Deep Radar ability.
Bonus Techs: Progenitor Psych, Field Modulation.

Also, Caretakers may not win by Trascend, but can achieve Progenitor Victory(which is easiest, I think), and Mind Worms tend to avoid them.

Don't think so. Remember they cannot win by Trascend or Diplomacy. Also, all human factions are automatically "aggresive" towards them, and the other alien factions(in a game with aliens, there can't be only 1 alien faction; minimum of 2) have a perennial Vengeance with them: an alien cannot sue for peace with an alien, never.

Top Bottom