1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Play An Instrument?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cgannon64, Feb 8, 2004.

1. gael

gael Ard Ri

:lol:
    Yeah, the flute bands. Sad b*stards. Thats those short black jobs.

Mine was one those long clasical ones, a gold coloured one no less.:)

2. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

That would be awsome! Now to figure out how i can record sound on my computer.....

3. naervod

naervod My current user title

Lets see:

Clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, guitar, drums. For classical (clarinet), jazz (the saxes), and rock (last two).

4. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

the triangle, but that's about it. ;)

5. Mrogreturns

Mrogreturns The Ghost Who Posts

As a child I used to play on the linoleum.

6. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Play the trumpet, and seriously addicted. Been playing for about 4 proper years, but only really in the last year have I really pushed myself.

I'll play any style, but improvisation is King. Whereby written music is emotions written on a page and performed, to create improvisation is to give your emotions as a performance.

AS you can tell, I am a fan of jazz :D. In fact, I feel like some now.

7. trumpeteer

trumpeteer Player of Trumpet

Sorry, we already have enough of those in the world.

8. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

I've currently been playing my new Strat...very sweet. I also have a classical guitar which I enjoy. I used to play piano, and all things percussion.....especially the marimba.

I'd be a lot of fun to put something together. Sounds like a sucsession game, sort of. Some one posts a simple chord progression in a simple key, such as G major. They plug in a computer's microphone, and lay down the progressions (Piano, bass, or guitar). They post it, and then other musicians jam on the progression (G major consists of 3 major chords: C, D, and G). A guitarist lays down a riff, and someone writes some lyrics. sweet. Post the files and someone with mixing software mixes them.

9. Laughing Gull

Laughing Gull charts, graphs, databases

I play electric, bass, acoustic, and classical guitar.

I also use a Roland MC303 Groovebox to make all kinds of electronica, trip hop and hip hop.

10. Pariah

Pariah Outside Influence

Don't know much about guitar. Is acoustic much different from electic, in terms of technique?

11. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

I don't know much either, but I'm sure that an acoustic song would sound very odd on electric, and vice versa.

BTW I should be getting a snare drum on Monday, and working my way up to a whole set...

12. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone Which Way Did He Go?

Not that I've noticed. I can play either with little difficulty. The only thing is palm muting on an acoustic doesn't sound quite right.

13. OneFastWarrior

OneFastWarrior Asthma Hound Chihuahua

I have played Saxaphone for 25 years and also can play Flute, Clarinet. some Piano and Guitar knowledge and various percussion instruments. Also played Baritone for 1 summer in a drum and bugle corps.

14. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

Guitar, bass and - allegedly - skin flute :ack:

15. Margim

Margim Footy's back.

Played the drums for almost 15 years. A couple of thyings I've picked up in that time...

- Any natural ability you have will take you only so far. I love playing the drums, but haven't practised nearly enough. I can more than hold my own in a band, but know of plenty of other guys who have developed so much quicker because of solid practise.

- Before anything else, learn to keep a solid beat. Get a metronome (spelling?) and just practise single strokes at first in a solid time. A drummer who can't keep the beat is no drummer at all.

- Remember, no matter how hard you practise and improve technically, it always improves your sound tremendously if you learn to 'feel' the music and pick up on the 'vibe' of a particular song. Don't just play a beat because it has the same time signature as a song. Play it becuase it complements the song, and enhances its sound. The best drummers I've heard really 'get in' to the songs they are playing.

Finally, if you are going to get serious about drumming, make sure you get a good kit frolm the start. Nothing worse than buying a $500 kit that satisfies you for a year or two before realising that had you saved an extra $600 and waited, you'd have a better quality sound that would last for a much longer time.

Cheers,

Margim