1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you play Cut-Throat or Immersion?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Can Not, Jul 2, 2012.

1. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

It's possible your empire is on very defensible terrain that the AI is failing to take into account and thus they don't build enough to attack you.

I've noticed some AI will attack you and sue for peace with generous deals as soon as their main force is defeated. It's actually a nice in-between feature between the AI being passive and being overly agressive.

The more warmongering AI will tend to be like this. They will keep testing your defenses until you grow so powerful they dare not DoW. Otherwise, they can DoW and be friendly right after.

It's programmed in behavior that works on most maps.

Again without knowing your map types and location it's hard to tell. But I think some code for the AI to look at how your cities are placed and to plan an attack around it might be something to put on a wishlist.

2. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

I usually just try to not bother the other sims unless they contact me. It seems to me the AI just calculates everything and doesn't actually care who is winning. One game I just had some warrior garrisons and wasn't really caring about upgrading. Sometime around riflemen, I got DoWed on, so I thought I'd better start upgrading my garrisons. Once I upgraded to riflemen, I didn't even see any enemy troops, and my opponent came back with an even peace treaty. :D

3. Barghaest

Barghaest King

The first time was due to her military rating being higher than yours likely... the follow-ups are probably due to the wanted to end the tribute to get her happiness/income back.

4. RazorChain

RazorChain Naked Emperor

I'm playing on Huge, marathon, continents, low sea level with 22 civs on king. During the las invasion I had a 10 city empire no conquests and she had 13 cities, 4 of them puppets.

She borders 3 of me cities but only beelines for Baghdad which is one of my biggest cities mostly on desert/floodplains with some desert hills thrown in (and pretty nice one too because of The Petra). She usually advances through the cover of forest and 2 of the 3 times she has invaded I have killed a couple of units and she has sued for peace.

During her first invasion I didn't have camel archers and fended her off with some archers, then the only standing army I had was archers garrisoning my cities and she and Nappy attacked toghether with a force of warriors, spearmen and archers. Their units just ran around in circles, not even pillaging while I shot them to pieces

5. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Years of playing Civ4 Diplomacy Games has made me very much a Role-player-so I definitely try & role-play. Of course, that is also partly shaped by my surroundings. So for example, if I'm playing Japan, I'll emphasize Honor & Tradition in my early Social Policy settings. However, if conditions in a particular game suggest I should place more emphasis on Liberty, then I'll do so. My dealings with other Civilizations are also heavily based on role-playing too. I don't do things merely to "win the game" ;-).

Aussie.

6. RazorChain

RazorChain Naked Emperor

She only attacks after she has paid the tribute, probably doesn't have the money for upkeep while she is paying me off. Then she builds some units and attacks

7. Barghaest

Barghaest King

So, she waits the full 90 turns before attacking again? Odd, if I get tribute like that from an AI they'll attack again shortly after the Peace Treaty expires (to stop the GPT and luxuries).

8. Darkeagle6

Darkeagle6 Chieftain

I find it a bit hard to play Civ V with the goal of being immersed into a (often silly) retelling of history (as I once played Civ IV), since V really feels more board game-like. I really don't mind that, though; I can easliy find myself immersed into the board game experience. It's just a different one from Civ IV.

9. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

10. RazorChain

RazorChain Naked Emperor

Ok my game is getting boring on King. Is it me or is GaK easier than vanilla? I think it's time for a WWI to start as me and the leading civs are hitting the modern era. I'm going to DoW the whole world and see what happens. That will be interesting as I have 12 cities and 5 empires have 20-30 cities

11. Stratti

Stratti Chieftain

Immersion and benchmarks. I'm all about getting max science and gold that I can get through building. I'm not really a warmonger but I like deciding on a Strat implementing it and then ending the game early when I'm happy . Sure we could build a nice tight scientific powerhouse that can support and army smash a few sc then raze the world but where is the fun in that. I love to see how all the small decisions end up having big outcomes..