Do you play with standard rules or your own?

Do you use the standard Civ3 rules?

• Yep

Votes: 42 47.2%
  • No, I make my own

Votes: 47 52.8%

• Total voters

Exsanguination

No longer here
Well? Seeing how much people seem to hate the standard rules (combat, corruption, privateers ;), culture-flipping... blah blah), I'd like to see how many edit thier rules to their own liking.

I use my own rules, though the -ONLY- thing I modify is to make the advanced barb unit a chariot (more realistic :rolleyes: )

Standard rules, one might argue realism but the game is still not fully explored within standard rules. The only non-standard topic I strongly favor is the way score is calculated as in the Tournament.

Always use my own rules - I have tweaked them so the game runs nicely (IMO). I dont think ill be playing MP because I cant cope with ships with low movement points and ind/mod units with 3 hp

I wouldn't be caught dead using Firaxis' idiotic non-historical values. EDIT, EDIT.

Hey, Exsanguination. . . there's a great special on BLOOD letting on PBS right now. Thought you'd like it considering your name.

I modify my own rules, but so far the only thing I've done is made the strategic resources more common, which hardly unbalances a thing.

Firaxis' original rules set? Blah..

About all I've done is edit the road movement to 4 and increased combat experience for regular/veteran/elite to 4/5/6, and set barbarians to raging. It hardly unbalances the game since all civs benefit equally.

Thinking about:

Setting WW to low in democracy; OR corruption to minimal in Republic.

Standard, the challenge is better. Editing (with the exception of non-balance changing stuff for a scenario) is up there with quitting/reloading, why bother.

On changing the rules:

Is there a tool in game or do I need to d/l it somewhere?

I'm sure this has been asked before, I tried the search but it yielded nothing useful for me.

Originally posted by smith
On changing the rules:

Is there a tool in game or do I need to d/l it somewhere?

I'm sure this has been asked before, I tried the search but it yielded nothing useful for me.

In the editor, seperate application.

I play both. I massively edited (HP, costs, A.D.M for all units, made three "knights" available to everyone (standard cheap, expensive fast, expensive strong) and likewise for most other units, building affects, almost everything. Always play random everything (except barbs -raging) to be sure I haven't weighted unfairly and unconsciously. I like it and the AI seems to grasp the changes well.

But then I play standard rules most of the time, probably 3 out of 4 games.

Standard rules all the way. If I started to edit them it'd take the fun out of the game for me, since I'd be forever thinking "perhaps if I tweak this value...." and not getting into the true swing of playing.

'Standard rules all the way. If I started to edit them it'd take the fun out of the game for me, since I'd be forever thinking "perhaps if I tweak this value...." and not getting into the true swing of playing.'

The problem is I found it hard to get into the swing of playing with annoying little thigns - such as it taking forever to move ships (for both me and the AI) and bombers beign so ineffective and tanks losing to spearmen etc.

hehe, I'm not saying there aren't things in the game that I would like to be different, just that I'd rather live with those problems and play around them instead of always looking at the game from the point of view of what I'm going to tweak next. Given that I have an over-perfectionist streak, I'd end up spending more time tweaking the game than playing it! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Eklektikos
Standard rules all the way. If I started to edit them it'd take the fun out of the game for me, since I'd be forever thinking "perhaps if I tweak this value...." and not getting into the true swing of playing.

That happens to me. IT's okay now but I'm always finding things I'll change before I play again. I just write them down and make the changes for the next game.

The only thing I'm really tempted to change in "default' mode is ship movement. Way too slow.

I edited my game, but only slightly. I moved down the AI to AI tech trade rate to 100, gave every non-industrious civ industrious (HATE those slow workers, especially when pollution rolls 'round) and for those already industrious gave them a third trait to even things up. (eg. americans are now industrious, expansionistic and commercial, babylon are now religious, scientific and industrious)

I also changed around the Civ's colours to better suit my taste.

:king:

My mods...

I made the espionage cheaper.

I made infantry units (musketmen [40], riflemen [50], marines [70], paratrooper [70], and infantry [60]) cheaper.

I made marines and paratroopers 9-7-1 and 7-9-1 respectively.

I changed communism to money-rushing.

I made democracy suseptible to propaganda.

I made scouts 0-0-1 and "Treat all as Roads".

I made corruption 50%

Its modified rules for my own game:

Citizen consume 1 food
Each unit need 1 pop point
Increased ship range
Tweak hp for units from each era (Medi +2hp, Ind +4hp, Modern +6hp etc) and all units upgradeable.
Lots of unique units for each Civ (A waste of good work if that is not used since there are so many new animations on the forum ;) )

As to standard rules, I still play them. But I reserve them for the Succession games that I am playing. :)

What Dark Sheer said. :goodjob:

With the amount of new unit animations that come out every day that are so top notch, it makes it easy for me to make units for every type of era and situation. Not to mention expanding the government list, and helping out some of the weaker wonders with some added bonuses. With tweaks that I add all the time. To me, half the fun is making the game fit into what you want. Not making it easier, just always making it different.

Top Bottom