1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you play your games all the way through?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Invisible Rhino, Jul 10, 2005.

1. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

I've only abandoned 1 game every since I started playing 4 years ago.

2. RandomInsanity

RandomInsanity Warlord

i play them all through

3. Invisible Rhino

Invisible Rhino Prince

Very interesting answers guys. Thanks. :)

Normally the only start I'll quit is when I start on an all tundra island by myself.

4. vmxa

vmxa Deity

I sometimes play them after I win and go until I have all tiles covered, crazy huh?

5. josephstalin

josephstalin Kremlin Highlander

I play till the end (victory). You should never give up but try to turn things around.

6. Wes The Great

Wes The Great Chieftain

Back in the Civ 1 era, I almost always played until conquest. One of the big advantages in fighting in that era was for every city you'd take over you'd gain a technology.....so I would take over a small tech advanced society and from there just snowball my way through the board.

Now in Civ III, its more advantageous to battle early because you don't risk giving up tech if a city swings back to the opposition. Battle early before they build 100+ unit militarys tough to dislodge. I gets really scary when they form a military alliance and its you against the world. Your better off almost just going for one of the cultural victories and calling it a game then dealing with all the hassle.

7. bovinespy

bovinespy Prince

Well, considering that I'm still trying to successfully make the "great leap" from Monarch to Emperor, I re-start a lot of games now. Back when I was in my comfort zone on Monarch, I would finish more games than not, though sometimes I lost interest in the Industrial Age (Ancient and Early Medieval are my favorite periods).

8. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

I get bored when it is clear that I will win. Great fun till then though.
    Maybe its time to go up a level...

9. Yaype

Yaype Me

While finishing a game where you are clearly dominant can be a bit boring until you begin to, say, raze 3 or 4 cities per turn on your way to a conquest victory, I usually finish the games I stand to win. I have abandoned a few games where I was clearly not prepared to handle an early invasion from an aggressive neighbor--often wrecking an otherwise good-looking situation. :(

10. shumble

shumble Emperor

I have been trying to get each of the 5 different wins at all of the 6 levels "vanilla" version of course. I have Cultural, Domination, Space Race and Diplomatic at Emperor so I just need a Conquest Victory under Emperor and then I can make the (gulp!) leap to Deity.

If I start off poorly or am not paying attention and do something really stupid like put the new settler that I just built right next to a barbarian, I don't bother finishing. I just start a new game. Or if I get to the Middle Ages and the AI is already at the Industrial Age(this hasn't happened as much lately since I got better at trading with AI), there is really not much point to continue.

11. Blackbird_SR-71

Blackbird_SR-71 Spying from 85,000 ft

I haven't played my game through for a very, very long-time. The last time I even got close, was when I got my game to the Industrial Age and had tanks while the others had calavry. The game was over then. I might just play a game through for once. :)

12. Vilati Timmadar

Vilati Timmadar Warlord

I finish most games.

You can learn much when you're losing in a war. You can try out new (desperate) strategies that show you what you can achieve when you're outnumbered and outgunned. A strategy that proves useful then will be of help in a future game, when you are not outnumbered an outgunned...

I learned my counter-attack strategy that way.

13. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

I quit games out of boredom fairly frequently. If, however, a game is interesting to me, I'll keep with it even if I'm about to lose terribly. I remember I once allowed myself to be reduced to a settler and a couple of other units on a boat, but I signed peace and built a little city on an island. I waited until my conqueror won the game via domination.

14. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

I'm in the same category as gmaharriet; I'll quit early if I have a bad start and an aggressive neighbor; the difference is that I like to start with luxuries. Otherwise, I'll usually play to the end, even if I'm losing a war. My first :spear: experience was actually winning a battle when defending my last city. :D

15. CoolioVonHoolio

CoolioVonHoolio Quit WoW, back to Civ.

i abandon most, but sometimes if a game gets boring ill turn it into an AW with no negotiating. it makes games go much faster.

16. chiko

chiko Chieftain

When I first started playing, if it was going bad, I quit. But like Stop Killing Me said, I read Zerksees story with that losing Japanese game. Gave me inspiration to finish the last game that I gave up, and won. Now I try to finish every game even if it is getting quite ponderous. The only time now if I do quit, it is usually because of a bad start(like stuck in a desert).

17. 66Scorpio

66Scorpio Chieftain

I abandoned a lot of games at first because I kept getting my ass kicked and there was no conceivable way to win. Then when I was winning I would get bored because the results were not in doubt either. That was at the two lowest levels.

Now I am at regent level and can win consistently but I experiement more and reload games to play them to the end. I need to develop a better early game to take on Monarch.

18. el toro loco

el toro loco Warlord

pretty soon i will abondon the end game. if i think that i have won. i just enjoy the start so much more. it gets so tedious at the end, not to mention the lag on my computer. i think i'll get a bite to eat while it's thinking.

19. FireStorm5

FireStorm5 golden popcorn

It depends on how I'm feeling when I'm playing the game. If I'm in a good mood and feel like playing it through then I'll play a game with a bad start position, but sometimes i'll just restart. Most of the time though I like to play my games all the way through. For me the most interesting part of the game is near the end of indy and the modern age.

20. Lobox

Lobox Sweden

I get bored when Im a superpower so I rarely finish the game.