1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remembahhh when...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by wiggawuu, Dec 14, 2016.

1. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

Lets play a game,

In Civ 4 you got the railroad tech and it felt so good because you could finally move your massive armies quickly to conquer! ahhh, I remembahhh.

Civ 6 its like, ughhh, all my units are blocking each other! What the hell??? :)

ZubieMaster and Zuizgond like this.
  2. CultureManiac

CultureManiac Prince

I miss railroads. And airlifting comes too late.

3. isau

isau Deity

Not really because the very first mod I wrote gave every unit +1 movement. I still feel that is the way the game should have been designed from the start. But at least I have my mod, and way fewer traffic jams + roads that are worth something.

Karmah, c4c6 and Tarquin_77 like this.
  4. orasis

orasis Prince

Stacks of doom were stupid. Show me anywhere in the world where armies stack upon each other.

Yeah, choke points suck - but, they make sense.

Lukey_Jangs and kingchris20 like this.
  5. RealAntithesis

RealAntithesis Warlord

Carpets of doom are equally silly. Where in the world does a country's army cover every square kilometre of land and then spill over into neighbouring lands because they can't fit into the same 100 square kilometre block of land?

Eurik, Jeckel, Zuizgond and 1 other person like this.
  6. orasis

orasis Prince

Much more realistic than armies hand-standing upon each other by the thousands. I can show you scenarios from WW1/2 that match what you asked close enough.

Show me pictures of armies stacked.

7. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

It's true that 1UPT per tile makes more sense and can lead to better tactical battles. The problem indicated by RealAntithesis is related to the scale of Civ5/6 world, because 10 units can easily cover (and completely block) the area of half a small continent. In reality I think they could fit one large field or meadow.
    (Btw I don't mind it, I know it's just symbolic and I enjoyed 1UPT in CivV very much.)

Eurik likes this.
  8. FurballRocker

FurballRocker Chieftain

Neither stacks or 1UpT are realistic, much like almost nothing is realistic because it is a game which uses representations to provide a game play experience but when it comes down to it 1UpT is the closest representation of realistic warfare of the two.

c4c6 likes this.
  9. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Everywhere. Look at an Earth map. Would one hex contain half of a country's army, or only a single squad of infantry or whatever?

HF22, Reg Pither and Zuizgond like this.
  10. Tarquin_77

Tarquin_77 Chieftain

A hybrid 1upt/ stack is the most realistic... For example you could have maybe 4/6/8 units on same tile.. The mechanism from warlords nearly 30 years ago managed this with, if I remember correctly, 8 units max in an offensive army, and more in the defender...

1upt does not make sense. An 'army' is not a squad of archers, a catapult, or some spearmen. An army is either a collection of different types of units (eg William at the battle of Hastings) or a mass of many similar units with some veteran/advanced ones included (eg Harold at battle of Hastings).

WorldWarIV and nzcamel like this.
  11. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

There weren't enough threads talking about 1UPT. Thanks for making another one.

Drakarska, nzcamel, wiggawuu and 2 others like this.
  12. Rakshasa72

Rakshasa72 Warlord

Which is weird because the OP is about Railroads. I agree it would be nice to have Railroads in Civ6. It's not like they aren't a notable technology that had a definitive impact on history.

HF22, shaglio, c4c6 and 2 others like this.
  13. Flak Fox

Flak Fox Radioactive Vulpine

Call to Power 2 had the perfect "middle of the road" solution for this argument...

If I were to shoe-horn that mechanic into Civ6 as it sits right now I would probably limit it to 4 units per "stack" though, largely due to the fact that unit diversity is paper thin in this game.

At least, that's my two and a half cents.

WiscCy and wiggawuu like this.
  14. BigChiefLizzy

BigChiefLizzy Warlord

As for the OP's original post, yes I would like to see the road/railroad system changed. Early roads seem nearly useless especially for 2 move units and industrial/modern era transport systems should be far better.

Would love to see something like this. How about a stack size of 2 units to start in the ancient era, and each 2 eras advanced gain +1, or maybe after certain key military techs are researched you gain +1. Great generals can be attached to the stack as a whole and if they are, also allow +1 unit. Stack can be moved as one entity.
    When you attack you choose which individual unit to attack with and the best defender available is picked automatically (maybe let the human player choose a defender - highest health rather than best defence value for example.) If it's a ranged AOE unit or air unit, all units in the stack take some damage and deal very little in return unless they have ranged/anti-air themselves(?)

Edit: So like Civ 4 a bit, but a lot more limited in stack sizes I guess.

15. need my speed

I would be against any kind of hard limit. That's not solving the problem, and it keeps Civilization in the 'tactical feudal kingdom builder' category, as opposed to the 'strategical empire builder' category. A soft limit, such as Civilization II has - every unit in the tile dies if one unit dies - is fine, though this specific example is excessive, in my opinion. Perhaps introducing collateral damage for every single unit might be interesting. It'd certainly encourage strategy (and oh yes, anyone who says that one unit per tile is more strategical than stacks has never properly played Civilization IV).

16. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

...wow. I umm... nevermind.

ZubieMaster, c4c6 and need my speed like this.
  17. Tarquin_77

Tarquin_77 Chieftain

Back to railroads... They should have more impact, surely? Getting armies from one end of a vast empire to t'other... IRL we have seen the massive strategic advantage a railway network creates... It should be the case in Civ VI (never felt that crucial in V either)..

18. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I'm hoping the first expansion brings back railroads in a significant way. Early previews had railroads, but I'm guessing they decided there wasn't time to implement them as they wished.

c4c6 likes this.
  19. FurballRocker

FurballRocker Chieftain

If you had played civ IV properly you would have seen that collateral damage did nothing to circumvent the all powerful stack of doom and while it was limited only to siege style attacks in civ IV adding it to all units would have no extra effect to break up the stack of doom and also the every unit dies if one dies had no effect either, hence why 1UpT was introduced.

20. need my speed

I suppose that is why multiplayer games of very good players never involved people smashing two huge stacks together.

TheMeInTeam likes this.