Do you remembahhh when...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by wiggawuu, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The mathematical evidence against what you're saying is overwhelming. Players that say what you're saying are players that don't know how to use stack combat to its potential.

But this thread is about railroads. It's yet another mechanic where civ 4 let you play the game while the design in civ 6 obstructs you from playing the game with rote inputs. Not only did railroads save time, they were integrated in a system that greatly reduced number of necessary inputs. Not just stacking, but waypoints as well. It made defender advantage more meaningful and the threat of a player's movement from fog on rails was significant.

All gone. You move slightly faster and ignore terrain now, but have to keep your units on that line so have fun with the extra micromanagement of simple unit movements between fronts.

HF22, Jeckel and Reg Pither like this.
  2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Stacks and 1UPT, neither is perfect...Its sort of like the movement system, +1 or -1, neither is perfect but we liked +1 because it was more powerful than -1.

I suggested in another tread that as railways often follow roads that they could just use those routes without yet more lines on the map.
    I really would hope that this time they got it right and only allowed units to get on at a city and off at a city.... Having 10 armies jump on a railway track and off onto hard terrain was just stupid and OP.
    Moving quickly between cities makes sense and will speed things up... maybe the units take x turns to travel x tiles to the target city and only re-appear on the map then.

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Large cities are representing much larger civilizations.

Is a railroad stop that hard an abstraction :p? Given that 1 turn = multiple years most times rails and unit movement in general is scaled to be very slow, hard to make a case it's "OP" in that regard, especially since these are improvements that could easily be pillaged in past games if not protected and it would completely cut unit flow.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It was more the gameplay changed suddenly annd you got a big advantage getting there first. To be fair moving an army is not a simple railroad chore. The army normally uses its own vehicles for a lot. TBH I am not fussed and would rather have back faster movement.

5. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

They actually make a lot of sense. Whats the true scale of one hex compared to a piece of land in real life? If civ 5/6 map sizes were true to fit, you wouldn't need SOD. but the maps are to small or the hex's need to be way smaller if not a district. Tatical battles are half ass and suck in civ 5/6. This isn't a real time strategy game.

6. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

It's kind of ironic that a thread that was originally about Railroads got derailed almost immediately!

7. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

So many posters totally missed the joke in the OP lol!

And there is a civic to help move armies faster...

8. JosephC

JosephC Warlord

I was going to respond to this thread seriously but after reading the title all I hear is Chubby Checker.

9. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    And all i thought about was................Pepperidge Farm remembers

10. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Modern roads give me the same feeling of 'sheesh I can move!' No dif really.

11. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

Basically the strategic possibilities of the 1upt system can also be worked out in a +upt system, and very easily:

1) When units stack the player must choose the order in which units battle. (Mimicing the positioning of units).
    2) From one tile of stacked units only one unit should be allowed to attack per turn (the unit put in front).
    3) With this +upt are possible and you can still use different units on different tiles to enhance your strategy.

How does that sound?

12. orasis

orasis Prince

You'll get them in DLC.

13. Gub

Gub Chieftain

14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Think of the U.S./U.K. armies at the start of Desert Storm in 91.

Back on subject, I do miss the excitement of railroad tech. A disadvantage of not being able to build your own roads and railroads. And I won't mod my units to have 1 more movement, but I do think roads should offer better movement in this game.