Do you roleplay?

Synobun

Deity
Does anyone here do any kind of roleplaying?

In your conventional social circles, roleplaying usually gets stereotyped as in the bedroom or your hardcore re-enactment circles. More negatively, it sometimes gets stereotyped as the LARP circles where people in that hobby stay in character the whole time themselves.

Here, however, I'm specifically referring to collaborative writing.

I've been roleplaying for the better part of 12 years now and haven't met anyone else who does (besides those I find on roleplaying sites, of course). I'm curious if anyone here on CFC dabbles, especially since DYOS and NES were/are popular.

If you do roleplay, what genres do you RP in? Is there a specific kind of roleplaying that you enjoy most?

Myself, I lean strongly towards original sci-fi worldbuilding that gets expressed through novella-style roleplaying. Creating a living galaxy filled with aliens, new technologies, and eccentric empires that get represented in stories written by a group of people is my longest hobby next to playing video games.

Does anyone here do any kind of roleplaying?

In your conventional social circles, roleplaying usually gets stereotyped as in the bedroom or your hardcore re-enactment circles. More negatively, it sometimes gets stereotyped as the LARP circles where people in that hobby stay in character the whole time themselves.

Here, however, I'm specifically referring to collaborative writing.

I've been roleplaying for the better part of 12 years now and haven't met anyone else who does (besides those I find on roleplaying sites, of course). I'm curious if anyone here on CFC dabbles, especially since DYOS and NES were/are popular.

If you do roleplay, what genres do you RP in? Is there a specific kind of roleplaying that you enjoy most?

Myself, I lean strongly towards original sci-fi worldbuilding that gets expressed through novella-style roleplaying. Creating a living galaxy filled with aliens, new technologies, and eccentric empires that get represented in stories written by a group of people is my longest hobby next to playing video games.
I've been involved in tabletop RPG for decades (January 13,1983, to be precise), when I bought Warlock of Firetop Mountain... and several hours of my evening disappeared as I got lost trying to find my way through the Maze of Zagor and annoying the Dwarves who kept getting interrupted by my constantly finding myself back in their room where they were busily engaged in a gambling game. Turns out I hadn't done my map correctly and kept missing the exact corridor that would have gotten me out of that section of the dungeon and on to the final battles - fighting a vampire and the Warlock himself.

After all this time, this is the gamebook that I'm planning to adapt to novel form for my next NaNoWriMo project.

Fast-forward from 1983 and I got into Dungeons & Dragons, both original and AD&D, got hooked on Dragonlance, and then discovered that a lot of people in the Society for Creative Anachronism are also into SF/F and gaming (board games, tabletop RPGs, and computers - these are the people who taught me to play Civilization, both the original board game and Civ I and II).

I spent 12 years active in the SCA, but didn't get into my persona of a 10th-century Viking woman as much as some other people got into their personas (since I was the Chronicler, Exchequer, and Chatelaine - mka secretary/newsletter editor, treasurer, and PR person - I had a lot of mundane paperwork to do). I did learn a variety of crafts, and even got interested in cooking and feast planning. I've got my persona name and a heraldic device, and there are dozens of people who never knew my RL name but only know me as Freydis of Gloppenfjord. Back in my SF convention days, I was also in the SCA and had to let my roommates know that if anyone phoned our room and asked for "Freydis" it would be an SCA person from Red Deer or Calgary asking for me, so please don't tell them they have the wrong number. None of my roommates were into SCA, so they thought it was a bit bizarre.

On to collaborative writing/storytelling... back in 2004 when I first went online, it was primarily to join the forum for a specific gaming company's magazine. What I discovered there was that a bunch of people had this forum-wide thing going called "The Faction Game" - which meant that they often made their posts in character, according to whatever was going on within the game at that time. It was a kind of generic FRPG thing, with royalty and aristocracy, NPCs, and a kind of cooperative storytelling that wasn't really planned, but we managed it without stepping on each other. Any of us could be mentioned in someone else's storyline, as long as we didn't object, and our ranks were tied to our post count. On that forum it was so unusual to have high post count that there weren't many Emperors (minimum of 10,000 posts needed), and there was only one Empress - who in RL was an elderly lady from somewhere in California, but who was still very young at heart. Dragonlady was a wonderful person, in-character and as her RL self, and when she died a few years ago, several forums went into mourning. I still miss her, as she mentored a lot of the younger gamers.

The highest rank I achieved on that forum was Queen (7500 posts), and was only the 4th woman to make that rank. I wrote a little in-character vignette to mark my ascension, and the people in the factions I'd joined (Rabbits, Dragons, and Fuzzy Knights) had a little party to mark the occasion (this is all written out as a collaborative story, in which people take up threads of each other's portions and elaborate on them).

We had some crazy in-story parties. Ever have a virtual pie fight just by writing it? I still remember the second one I took part in. Some people were so good at writing medieval-style slapstick, and this became a traditional part of the annual Christmas party. And one of the things about it was because this was fantasy RPGs, cleanup was easy - just use a housecleaning cantrip, and the castle looked spic and span again (along with all the guests). :D

We considered the staff to be fair game as NPC characters, btw, unless they objected - and none did. We treated them respectfully, and there was one storyline where one of them went on a trip, lost his luggage, and the suitcase decided to go on a trip of its own - other planets, other dimensions... what it had inside was pretty important, though, so its owner tried to follow it to get his stuff back - and he got lost. Someone decided to send the senior admin after him, and he ended up having a bunch of misadventures. We did finally get everyone reunited, although the admin accidentally got cloned, and both versions of himself insisted they were the original. I don't recall how, or if, that got worked out.

There's a thread in Site Feedback here with a brief example of how I'd write a post if we had such an activity on CFC. The thread concerns the request for proper punctuation for the subheadings of the OT and A&E forums:

It is dawn, somewhere between New Zealand and London (or wherever Plotinus is at the moment). Ainwood and Plotinus meet in an open field, their seconds ready to act if needed. The two duelists shake hands like gentlemen, and take their places, back-to-back. Each carries a dictionary and grammar book published in his respective country.

At the signal, they each take ten paces forward, turn, and face their opponent. Opening their books, they hurl rules of grammar and forum management arguments at each other.

The spectators are silent, waiting tensely to see what will happen... and it is decided.

The petitioners of CFC have won.

:D

This is from the thread Unacceptable Oversight - Fix at Once

Last edited:
Bought my first copy of the D&D Basic Set in 1983 and never looked back. Fantasy (low and/or dark preferred) and modern urban crime/espionage/horror tend to take up most of my gaming, though I'm open to any genre as long as I can relate to the characters. My primary focus is in inhabiting my character, deciphering his/her motives/fears/idiosyncrasies/etc.

Bought my first copy of the D&D Basic Set in 1983 and never looked back. Fantasy (low and/or dark preferred) and modern urban crime/espionage/horror tend to take up most of my gaming, though I'm open to any genre as long as I can relate to the characters. My primary focus is in inhabiting my character, deciphering his/her motives/fears/idiosyncrasies/etc.
My characters have to be more than just bare statistics for me to enjoy them. Many of my Fighting Fantasy characters are part of a sprawling 5-generation family that spans decades and all three continents of the world of Titan. Yes, I know that my chronology bears only a passing resemblance to the official chronology. I don't care. One of the things about FRPG is that as long as the rules are balanced, you (the Games/Dungeonmaster/mistress) can tweak things to your own satisfaction because you are the one that ultimately determines your story.

I've added new towns and villages to the official maps, given names to nameless NPCs and even fleshed out their characters somewhat (since I wondered why an old woman would just, out of the blue, give a magic bracelet to an adventurer on his way to Scorpion Swamp). And an FF purist would cringe at how I've rearranged the order of the gamebooks, tweaked the magic rules (since a lot of scenarios are like Star Trek episodes - some Wondrous Thing that's available to use in that one adventure but everyone seems to forget about it after that), and decided that if I'm going to use a female character instead of a male character (no reason at all why the PC who challenges the Warlock of Firetop Mountain has to be a man, right?), I'm going to. And none of my female characters wear chainmail bikinis - they're all sensibly dressed, with the appropriate clothing, armor, and weaponry for their character class(es).

Another thing... when I make a character sketch, I really do mean a sketch - with pencil and paper. I've managed to flange up the occasional avatar that resembles one of my characters but they never turn out quite like I envision them.

And after the character has slain the monster and is now filthy rich, what happens to the money?

Some characters send it home to the family (like my character did in last year's NaNoWriMo story; there's no way he's going to traipse around carrying 250 gold pieces with him; it's unbalanced for the gamebook and very impractical if he were a real person really heading into the dangers of Darkwood Forest. This is where creating a backstory comes in handy. Is the character merely greedy, or are they saving up for something? Do they have debts to pay off? A family to support? Why are they adventuring in the first place? It's not all meeting a stranger in a tavern and being hired to kill monsters or finding a treasure map (the two commonest scenarios in D&D). The character I'm about to send to fight the Warlock of Firetop Mountain has had a dream for 20 years of doing this and has dedicated her life to acquiring the weapons and skills to do so.

After a ten year drought, I'm finally getting back into tabletop roleplaying with a couple D&D 5E campaigns (two days in a row!). Critical Role is also sucking up far too much of my time, but I don't care, it's a blast to watch roleplaying done so well and its conceits communicated so effectively to newcomers. I'm going through my books and thinking about running a game myself, maybe starting with a one-shot, then moving on to something crazy like Planescape.

I'm not really one to get too far into the open-format roleplaying (or "RPing", if you wander into some chatrooms) that Vincour is referring to. I tried to get involved with such a forum that was adjacent to the Secret World MMO but found it already too established. It is interesting to see this side of the hobby branch away from the miniatures wargaming and become its own thing. It's partly why I like GURPS so much--the mechanics are clearly written as an aid to roleplaying instead of pretending to be a close-ended game like D&D sometimes does.

I haven't done any roleplaying in a long time. Back in the day, my gaming group were mostly wargamers and puzzle-solvers. We played D&D and Champions, but there wasn't a ton of what you'd call roleplaying. I was frequently the DM/GM, and I attempted some world and adventure design that today we'd call "open world" or "sandbox"-style, but it went over like a lead balloon because my players really wanted to be directed. Giving them a lot of freedom just left them feeling directionless. Whenever I was able to play a character instead of being the DM, I would half-bury my DM in material related to my character - with family trees, diagrams, notes, casting ideas* - and then let them pick and choose which bits to use. Conversely, a few of my fellow wargamers had a hard time coming up with names for their characters when we tried an RPG. They could stack up spells and magic item bonuses to obliterate an army of orcs, and reverse-engineer my most fiendish trap, but asking them to use diplomacy to negotiate passage through the territory of a skeptical Lizard King was just a preamble to the bloodletting that would inevitably ensue.

I once created a fairly elaborate campaign for Vampire: The Masquerade that I never played because I knew it would only end in disaster without a group of proper roleplayers, which I never found. Vampire was one of the few games, back then, that really seemed designed for proper roleplaying. Until the recent 5th edition, which I've read but haven't played, D&D wore its tabletop miniatures DNA on its sleeve.

Years later, I got into playing City of Heroes, an online superhero MMO, which turned out to be my best roleplaying experience and by far the best online gaming community I've ever had the pleasure of. In one respect, the players' enthusiasm for roleplaying became a handicap because everybody developed "alt-itis", creating so many new characters so fast that it was hard to keep up. That was also my only experience with the shared-fiction style of RPing, on the game's boards.

* Being a fan of movies and television, I always cast real-world actors as characters in my games, attaching headshots cut from magazines to my character sheets and DM material. As a DM, it helped me keep the myriad characters straight - I have a much better memory for faces than for names - and I like to think it improved immersion for the players.

I haven't done any roleplaying in a long time. Back in the day, my gaming group were mostly wargamers and puzzle-solvers. We played D&D and Champions, but there wasn't a ton of what you'd call roleplaying. I was frequently the DM/GM, and I attempted some world and adventure design that today we'd call "open world" or "sandbox"-style, but it went over like a lead balloon because my players really wanted to be directed. Giving them a lot of freedom just left them feeling directionless. Whenever I was able to play a character instead of being the DM, I would half-bury my DM in material related to my character - with family trees, diagrams, notes, casting ideas* - and then let them pick and choose which bits to use. Conversely, a few of my fellow wargamers had a hard time coming up with names for their characters when we tried an RPG. They could stack up spells and magic item bonuses to obliterate an army of orcs, and reverse-engineer my most fiendish trap, but asking them to use diplomacy to negotiate passage through the territory of a skeptical Lizard King was just a preamble to the bloodletting that would inevitably ensue.

I once created a fairly elaborate campaign for Vampire: The Masquerade that I never played because I knew it would only end in disaster without a group of proper roleplayers, which I never found. Vampire was one of the few games, back then, that really seemed designed for proper roleplaying. Until the recent 5th edition, which I've read but haven't played, D&D wore its tabletop miniatures DNA on its sleeve.

Years later, I got into playing City of Heroes, an online superhero MMO, which turned out to be my best roleplaying experience and by far the best online gaming community I've ever had the pleasure of. In one respect, the players' enthusiasm for roleplaying became a handicap because everybody developed "alt-itis", creating so many new characters so fast that it was hard to keep up. That was also my only experience with the shared-fiction style of RPing, on the game's boards.

* Being a fan of movies and television, I always cast real-world actors as characters in my games, attaching headshots cut from magazines to my character sheets and DM material. As a DM, it helped me keep the myriad characters straight - I have a much better memory for faces than for names - and I like to think it improved immersion for the players.
When you get a group of non-SCA people who are rules-lawyers playing D&D with a group of SCA people, it really shows which group is all about the stats and which are the roleplayers. I've never worn armor (fighting wasn't my thing in the SCA, not even archery), but I've been around enough fighters to know what's practical and what isn't (came in handy in the theatre as well, when my colleagues on the dressing crew of Camelot didn't know one part of a set of armor from another, or where some of it went).

So when the DM had us trying to escape from a small fortress (after we'd looted the place), we found ourselves in the kitchen/laundry/wash room... and our best fighter literally slipped on the soapy floor and broke his ankle. Everything was happening at once, so there wasn't any time for healing or first aid. The guy playing the fighter was willing to roleplay the scene out, but the other mage (I had 2 characters - human cleric and elven mage) was all about The Numbers and getting the most STUFF - anything for his own character and to hell with anyone else. So he just looked over at the fighter's character sheet, said, "He's still got enough hit points to fight."

Well, when you roleplay, you don't talk about hit points. You say, "I don't feel well/I'm sick/this hurts like hell/hey, this potion tastes great and I'm feeling a lot better!" etc. So we told this guy that our fighter was down and everyone else would have to step up and get us out of there.

His style of play and ours were incompatible so he left the group.

One other thing about that gaming group: Our DM used props. So when we found a scroll, she handed us a rolled-up piece of paper. There was no way to fudge who read it and when, or lie about what it said. Pretty soon it got to the point where it was "I'm not gonna read it, YOU read it!" (there were a lot of cursed scrolls in that adventure). We also had physical potions - small plastic tube-shaped containers that used to contain cake decorations, but were filled with colored water. So like the scrolls, when we drank a potion, we literally drank it.

We had fancy pencils to represent magic wands, and maps and dice. Saturday night, pizza/Chinese food, and D&D... that was fun. :)

I want to roleplay as a non-badass gangster guy who gets all the girls.

I need a break from real life.

I'm not sure what this actually means - new 2nd Edition modules (at unaffordable prices)? New novels in the various settings?

Honestly, I've got the 2nd edition rule books (although two of my Monster Manuals seem to have gotten mislaid). I'd love to get back into a gaming group, either in-person or PbP, but Fighting Fantasy is where my head is at these days (see the current NaNoWriMo thread; I've got a long-term project adapting the FF gamebooks to prose form).

Sounds like modules, although there may be a shift in release schedules sometime over the next couple years. I've been impressed with Wizards of the Coast's discipline with keeping the number of incoming books small, so I'm very intrigued by this development. That said, the online streaming revolution going on right now is doing far more for tabletop RPGs than supplements.

I wouldn't be opposed to play-by-post roleplaying with a few folks here. It's harder to do than face-to-face but I could be persuaded.

Last edited:
Sounds like modules, although there may be a shift in release schedules sometime over the next couple years. I've been impressed with Wizards of the Coast's discipline with keeping the number of incoming books small, so I'm very intrigued by this development. That said, the online streaming revolution going on right now is doing far more for tabletop RPGs than supplements.

I wouldn't be opposed to play-by-post roleplaying with a few folks here. It's harder to do than face-to-face but I could be persuaded.
I've done some PbP gaming. It works well as long as people are timely in their posts and there's a reliable online dice roller available.

It would have to be 1st or 2nd edition, though. I don't have any rulebooks for the higher editions and have never played those.

If you're talking D&D, I found the 5e books online somewhere. I didn't bother to bookmark it, but you can probably dig it up. I haven't actually played it, but the rules look similar enough to earlier editions that someone who's played before isn't forced to learn a whole new game. The 5e rules appear to be much more geared towards actual roleplaying than any previous edition of D&D. In addition to a race, class, and alignment, characters now choose a Background that provides bonuses, skills, languages or starting equipment that wouldn't normally be available to your Character Class, without having to go full multi-class. So you could have a Cleric who grew up on the streets and knows how to speak "Thieves' Cant." There are also personality traits that players are rewarded for using or adhering to by Inspiration Points, which you then use for special actions, to reroll or add to dice roll. Sometimes you can use an Inspiration point to roll two d20s and take the best roll, that sort of thing.

I remember many years ago - again, my roleplaying-challenged group - I was playing a "recovering thief" who couldn't help but occasionally pocket something, or peek through a second-story window, or whatever. In fact, I told my DM he could have my character steal something without even asking me, if it would make the adventure more interesting. Anyway, the paladin in my group once got huffy about it, because he thought my character was getting rich. "Why does he get to pocket a gem and I don't?" This new system would give the Paladin an Inspiration Point for making me put it back, or even just for taking the high road and not taking something that was just sitting there unguarded. In the former case, the DM might give both of us an Inspiration Point; in the latter, the Paladin would get an Inspiration Point and I'd get to keep the gem.

The 5th edition basic rules are free to download. Wizards also released a conversion document for material from all four editions, so it's pretty easy to update older settings and modules.

That said, I have no preferences. I also have 2nd edition from an online bundle sale.

If you're talking D&D, I found the 5e books online somewhere. I didn't bother to bookmark it, but you can probably dig it up. I haven't actually played it, but the rules look similar enough to earlier editions that someone who's played before isn't forced to learn a whole new game. The 5e rules appear to be much more geared towards actual roleplaying than any previous edition of D&D. In addition to a race, class, and alignment, characters now choose a Background that provides bonuses, skills, languages or starting equipment that wouldn't normally be available to your Character Class, without having to go full multi-class. So you could have a Cleric who grew up on the streets and knows how to speak "Thieves' Cant." There are also personality traits that players are rewarded for using or adhering to by Inspiration Points, which you then use for special actions, to reroll or add to dice roll. Sometimes you can use an Inspiration point to roll two d20s and take the best roll, that sort of thing.

I remember many years ago - again, my roleplaying-challenged group - I was playing a "recovering thief" who couldn't help but occasionally pocket something, or peek through a second-story window, or whatever. In fact, I told my DM he could have my character steal something without even asking me, if it would make the adventure more interesting. Anyway, the paladin in my group once got huffy about it, because he thought my character was getting rich. "Why does he get to pocket a gem and I don't?" This new system would give the Paladin an Inspiration Point for making me put it back, or even just for taking the high road and not taking something that was just sitting there unguarded. In the former case, the DM might give both of us an Inspiration Point; in the latter, the Paladin would get an Inspiration Point and I'd get to keep the gem.
Now that sounds cool! :)

Yeah, it's funny how some people overlook the basics of their character class. When it was my turn to be the DM for our group and we were getting the characters set up, the person playing the cleric got upset when I told her that she would have to tithe 10% of her earnings to her deity's temple. Since she's into RL religion, it surprised me that she would object to this part of the character.

I guess the paladin in your game was similarly put out ("Whaddya mean I can't steal a gem? HE gets to - it's not FAIR!"). I tried playing a paladin once, subbing for someone else at a game, and it was nerve-wracking.

I read an article about players who go against their character's stated alignment (I used to read Dragon Magazine every month, and still have most of my issues), and one piece of advice was for the DM not to argue about it... but just to adjust the storyline to account for the character attracting the attention of the gods of the alignment (s)he is approaching, or have other encounters that reflect the sliding from one alignment to the other.

So maybe if the paladin wants to steal a gem just let him do it and have that somehow become known to the Thieves' Guild who blackmail him into stealing from his temple - or else they'll inform on him. The paladin would either give in to a life of crime and forsake his former alignment and protection of the relevant gods, or he'd have a wake up call and go straight.

I have been a "role-player" so to speak for allegedly 20 years, though I have spent an awful lot of that time recently not doing anything remotely resembling the same.

I'm involved in it right now, as my NaNoWriMo entry this time involves novelizing a gamebook I first played nearly 30 years ago.

We had a D&D game at CFC a few years. I was an irascible dwarf with a charisma of only 5. I punched out a quest member at our first meeting.

Top Bottom