Do you see transgendered folks as female?

Thanks.

To be honest, that number is going to continue to rise, as more and more people understand that the strange feelings they've always had aren't them being crazy, but that there are people just like them and this is what it means to them.

For example: a recent poll conducted in Britain found that only 49% of 18-24 year olds identify as heterosexual. This is likely due in large part to the dramatically expanding discourse and audience that these issues have attained in the last ten years, allowing people to better understand themselves than ever before.

To be honest, that number is going to continue to rise, as more and more people understand that the strange feelings they've always had aren't them being crazy, but that there are people just like them and this is what it means to them.

For example: a recent poll conducted in Britain found that only 49% of 18-24 year olds identify as heterosexual. This is likely due in large part to the dramatically expanding discourse and audience that these issues have attained in the last ten years, allowing people to better understand themselves than ever before.

Britain is messed up :o

Although i doubt that only half of the new generation there is heterosexual. That would be a bit like claiming that by now half are left-handed.

Of course in a poll on people who are 18-24, aka either students or who knows what, it is to be supposed the results should be taken with a cis-spoonfull of salt.

It's not the same but it is comparable. Better analogy within the LGBT spectrum: you wouldn't call a gay person a MiG-15 would you? Why not? Then apply the same reasoning to tranny.

What?? Because Mig-15 isn't even anything close to 'gay' or 'homosexual'. Tranny is a literal short hand of transsexual.

The term is not offensive, doesn't matter how much you want to pretend that it ever has been.

Actually the word tranny would be the same thing as the word homo. Neither are offensive unless used in an offensive context.

What?? Because Mig-15 isn't even anything close to 'gay' or 'homosexual'. Tranny is a literal short hand of transsexual.

The term is not offensive, doesn't matter how much you want to pretend that it ever has been.

It's actually short for transvestite.

And the n-word is a form of "negro" which means black. And fag is short for [...] which means "bundle of sticks" and k..e means circle. Wop means "handsome person". Words have semantic meaning beyond their original etymology. How surprising.

Actually the word tranny would be the same thing as the word homo. Neither are offensive unless used in an offensive context.

You don't get to decide that.

Its pretty much decided across the majority of online sources that tranny is a non offensive word to use. I already wasted enough time linking them in another thread.

RuPaul is transantagonistic to begin with.

Only transgender people get to decide whether a word used to describe them is offensive.

What's literally happening right now is people are saying "this hurts us, please stop."

And you're going "yeah, but..."

Stop. Just stop. No one cares what your opinion about this is. The people affected by the word are right in the final instance. Listen to them for Christ's sake.

Did you actually miss the whole poll at the bottom of the page? I didn't link it due to the article itself.

The people affected by the word are right in the final instance. Listen to them for Christ's sake.

Trans people themselves actually made the word tranny, use it themselves as a form of endearment, and are not offended by it.

As already posted on this forum:

Tranny is a slang term used chiefly to describe people who are transgender, transsexual, wearing drag, transvestites, or cross-dressers. The term is considered a slur by some transgender activists, such as Roz Kaveney.[1] The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) state that the term is "usually considered offensive and/or defamatory" by members of the transgender community.[2] The trans and drag performer community is believed to have originated the term,[3] and many members of the gay community feel the word is a term of endearment.[4]

According to Kate Bornstein, a popular and controversial trans writer and performer, the word originated in Sydney, Australia, and was intended to unite trans people and drag queens under an umbrella term. [5]

How about Civfanatics users stop trying to pretend about what is offensive for other people instead?

And what could be more definitive, scientific, and representative than an internet poll? :rolleyes:

Well internet polls seem to pass as evidence if anyone else uses them (e.g. The 49% of young Brits identifying as heterosexual one posted earlier).

Polls are still polls, regardless of the source.

Feel free to show me the actual evidence of the claim that tranny is always 100% an offensive word as opposed to merely your own personal opinions then.

The word tranny is no different in every day use to the word gay.

Polls are still polls, regardless of the source.

I just polled me, myself, and I. 100% of those polled agree with the statement "bhavv is being incredibly obdurate." This must be the case, because "polls are still polls."

Feel free to show me the actual evidence of the claim that tranny is always 100% an offensive word as opposed to merely your own personal opinions then.

The word tranny is no different in every day use to the word gay.

Once upon a time the word "colored" was so inoffensive that the premiere organization for the betterment of persons of African descent in America incorporated the term into its own name. Since that time, "colored" has fallen into disfavor as it was co-opted by those who sought to denigrate and oppress "colored" people. It is now nearly universally accepted that "colored" is, at best, insensitive and at worst, downright bigoted. Would you suggest that since the NAACP chose to refer to themselves as "colored" all those years ago that you can disregard an African-American's claim that the term is offensive today? Are you waiting for a perezhilton poll to scientifically prove that its offensive?

The word coloured is actually still widely used in the UK to describe black / brown people.

The poll I linked had over 1000 respondents, making it as accurate as any other pill with over 1000 respondents. And actually being on the blog of a gay person, it is much more likely to mainly attract LGBT people to vote on it, so it is still a reliable poll.

You also seem to enjoy ignoring the entirety of the wiki link which explains how tranny is still a form of endearment, and only considered offensive by 'some' activists.

So again, I would like you to provide evidence as to how tranny is offensive as I have provided plenty to show that it actually isn't.

The word coloured is actually still widely used in the UK to describe black / brown people.

The poll I linked had over 1000 respondents, making it as accurate as any other pill with over 1000 respondents. And actually being on the blog of a gay person, it is much more likely to mainly attract LGBT people to vote on it, so it is still a reliable poll.

You also seem to enjoy ignoring the entirety of the wiki link which explains how tranny is still a form of endearment, and only considered offensive by 'some' activists.

So again, I would like you to provide evidence as to how tranny is offensive as I have provided plenty to show that it actually isn't.

Your ability to so blithely and so consistently ignore any sort of context or nuance in anything you argue about is astounding.

Yougov is an actual polling organization that makes an attempt to minimize statistical error and to provide some measure of informative and actionable data. perezhilton.com certainly is not.

Do you honestly believe that Yougov's poll according to which only 49% of britons aged 18-24 are heterosexual? Cause that seems like a failed and/or misleading poll if anything (or it was presented as such with the single line that it shows half of them are not heterosexual), the people likely answered all over the place and there is no way that half of that age group is non-heterosexual.

Polls can show very twisted results if either the question asked, the possible answers, the polling method or the number of type of group asked allow for an unreal result ;)

As for a term being offensive if it offends the group it is used for, well, how many in that group have to be offended by it so that the term is offensive? Even the 'n word' seems to be routinely used by black people themselves, although it is hugely taboo to use it if one is not black. As noted it is literally a foreign word for 'black', latin in origin. So is negro. Words themselves usually don't tend to have much power, although how one pronounces them may be telling in regards to probable malice or not.

And this has exactly what to do with the use of "colored" (no 'u') and the sentiments of African-A-M-E-R-I-C-A-Ns?

1000 voluntary participants in a poll that makes no attempt to find a representative sample or prevent repeat voters. :rolleyes:

For someone who talks so much of "evidence," both here and in the belief in God thread, you seem to have a very shaky grasp on what qualifies as legitimate, reliable data gathering techniques if you think a one question poll on a blog (particularly one whose raison d'être is snark) is as accurate as a professionally designed and targeted one conducted and collated by statisticians.

Not to mention, gay DOES NOT equal transsexual or transgender. Acceptance of the term "tranny" amongst cisgender gay men or lesbians is entirely irrelevant to whether the term is found to be offensive by those at whom it is directed. There is, in fact, plenty of hostility between the disparate elements of the LGBT demographic.

When used between African-Americans, "n-----" can be "a form of endearment." Are you suggesting that that entitles you or I to bandy it about?

Oh, well wiki says it's OK...

What "evidence" is there that any pejorative is offensive except the testimony of those at whom it is directed? Do you want skin temperature readings, heart rates, and blood pressures from transsexuals hearing the term? From cissexuals (gay, straight, or bi) using the term? EEGs and Rorschach tests?

And what need do you have to defend the use of the term as non-offensive? What is your investment in it? If some, even most, transgender people do not take offense at the term, what skin is it off your back to forgo using the term to avoid giving offense to those that do?

Top Bottom