Do you start wars over barb camp ninjaing?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Miravlix, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Miravlix

Miravlix King

I use ranged units to explore and kill barb camps, on continents and other maps shared with other civs, it can get crowded and just as you remove the barb from the camp an AI unit comes by and grab the camp.

I've more than once declared war to kill the scout. :p

2. Tidy

Tidy Chieftain

Is it worth it for 45 gold? That's what you need to ask yourself!

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's not worth it. I will stop killing the barbarians if the AI might have a chance to take the camp. I start rooting for the barbs.

4. Miravlix

Miravlix King

I like to play Askia, and get 225 gold. :p

Edit: The Fog of War allows a scout to be unseen and still have enough moves to reach the camp.

5. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Drooling Barbarian

If I am using the barb camp as a "culture farm" I will immediately kill any scout that comes near. I also immediately, and without reservation, kill any missionary or prophet that I see in my territory. Most of the time, my defenses are up to the task of repelling the AI invasions. In those rare cases where an AI has a massive military that sweeps me into the ocean like one would casually flick a bug off one's arm, I accept my defeat and move on to the next game.

Edit: OK, OK! I accept my defeat AFTER I run screaming around the house, throw various small, breakable objects around, and curse the universe for allowing me to loose....

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

naw, it's just a game. I don't hold grudges. Although I will still cuss at my computer monitor (poor computer monitor takes the brunt of my hatred for the AI).

7. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

No. If I want to fight a war with that AI, I just fight a war with that AI. The AI doesn't know I am punishing it for ninjaing a barbarian camp, it just thinks I'm a jerk.

8. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

+1 right here. I also move units to pathblock any backup the AI has to give the barbs a small edge.

same, and i also kill them if i see them near a city state or even in the ocean. but like above said, the AI doesn't understand your reasoning - it doesn't know your punishing it.

9. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Yea you need to curse at the CPU. The monitor just shows you what it was instructed :lol:

10. Barghaest

Barghaest King

Nah, I've ninja'd enough camps from AI (they decimate the units with bowmen and I move in for an easy bit of gold/CS quest completion/whatever else I get) that I have no problems with them doing likewise. Plus I play with Raging Barbs so there's always enough to go around since I actively hunt them and the AI does not.

I view barbs as a threat to all and have no issues with CS/AI/myself teaming against them (matter of fact I wish there was a diplo bonus for saving AI units from barbs - not civilian I mean killing/assaulting a brute that would have wiped out some AI's scout on the barb's next turn - or killing barbarians/camps near the borders of AI Civs - akin to the inf for CS which I think needs to be extended to two hexes from the border instead of merely adjacent since I get screwed out of my easy inf by barb ships moving a tile away before I finish them off).

The only time I root for the barbs is when they're milling about near one of my cities (I STILL want "He Threw A Car At My Head!") or when a camp spawns between me and an AI that just DoW as they're moving reinforcements up.

The rare times I'll get miffed is when I'm farming a barb camp (got a unit close to max xp from barbs and waiting for one more barb to spawn so I can top the unit off - usually for a final sight upgrade for a scout - and a CS/AI does a drive-by camp clearing).

11. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Take THAT Gandhi.

Ninjaed a Camp from him.

12. Callonia

Callonia Deity

yes, and i have started wars over ancient ruins.

13. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

This. I have never stared a war over a barb camp, but have started many over ancient ruins. I dont care if the AI understands why or not.

14. wetroofwoof

wetroofwoof Chieftain

I did this once over a settler or a ruin, I forget. I thought I was being tactical. I lost the game. peace is valuable especially at Deity.

15. Xotite potancev

Xotite potancev Chieftain

Peace is over rated, it is not when you are at peace it is when you are at war.

If you get messages like, you are vile to prey upon the weak, or your trechery knows no bounds or if its Ghandi your doing it right.

16. on7green

on7green Chieftain

They will still keep sending. Unless of course you wipe out the civ that sent them... which causes other problems.

Maybe better to chill on the missionary coming into your territory and use inquisitors.

17. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

When I was teaching Fire Direction Computers at the Artillery School I used to put a sign over every computer that said:

"This Machine Does Not Care."

I still keep one over my own computer - it saves a lot of invective...

19. Callonia

Callonia Deity

That's pretty good strategy XD

Though my way to go at it, is imagine a pretty girl so I chill out quick.

20. Ghonasiflaids

Ghonasiflaids Warlord

No.

However I do sometimes declare war if an AI so much as dares to EVER send a settler in my direction. I don't care how powerful there army is, all I need to do is send a warrior over to it. They will just fail at their invasion anyway.