1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you support a ban on smoking in bars/restaurants/cafés etc.?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Jan 30, 2007.

?

Do you support a ban on smoking at public places?

1. I am non-smoker - YES

95 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. I am non-smoker - NO

32 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. I am smoker - YES

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. I am smoker - NO

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. I don't know/don't care

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

I'm a non-smoker. I like the ban, but absolutely don't support it. The free market should decide. I only go places that don't allow smoking, but don't want the gov't dictating that everyplace must be.

2. Commodore

Commodore Deity

How strict is Wisconsin's ban? Does it also state that smokers can't even smoke within a certain distance of public buildings?

That is why I am whole-heartedly against the ban in Ohio. It basically makes it so smokers don't even have the option to "step outside" in the metro areas (which is where the highest concentration of establishments affected are located).

@punkbass2000- Please address all the points raised in my post instead of picking out the bits and peices that you can refute in an effort to discredit my entire argument.

3. rbis4rbb

rbis4rbb Sid

Still no links...

4. Old Spice

Old Spice King

No

I don't care what you do, just keep it in a private setting.

5. raen

raen Coat of Arms

My father died with lung cancer in 20 Febuary 2006, one year of agony, the limit is one year here, and you drop dead.

I was always against it, telling my father to not smoke, first because of his health second about mine, he said "but im going to the window", but I said to him smoke enters at same, the air goes in and out.

He stoped 8 years before, but it was too late.

Here in Portugal you see, not so often now fortunely, doctors smoking in hospital?!!?
    You see a mother smoking nere to her baby?!?!
    In metro was banned, but there are some people that smoke until they put their foot in station, even passing by a tunnel that is closed to air ventilation?!!!!

the only explanation I find is that or are people plain stupid or are addicted and dont see nothing more.

Many say if you dont want to smoke it dont go, and what about if you have to go to hospital? or for fun to soccer game you love or to a rock concert, where its banned but people smoke at same hard drugs and all.

I dont go to bars, I go to a restaurant that have two areas, is just a division not really implemented ventilation, but helps.

I think it is question of civic atitude, is almost like people who litter.

I dont mind you smoke, if you are good with it, die at will, but dont smoke if that means hurting others.
    Of course if is someone I care, I will be very worried for that person.

6. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Outside tables at a bar are still in the public. Should they count if there is a ban against public smoking? What about while strolling through the park? I still can't vote because nobody has defined "public" to my satisfaction. Everything outside of your home, and possibly the inside of your vehicle, is technically public.

7. raen

raen Coat of Arms

IMO, technically, public places are places where runs services for people, where people go to have that services.

OutSide, there are no rules, people can do whatever they want, well almost all.

But in my opinion, the problem with smoke is if is near someone else, for me should be banned to not hurt the other person near by. If people cant behave then they have to make laws.

8. mdwh

mdwh Deity

That's a bit misleading - it's property rights specifically when it comes to running a business. And in particular (in the UK at least), it's whether you believe that the rights of employers are more important than a business running itself how it likes.

Out of interest, do you believe there should be no Government laws whatsoever on how a business operates, if that's "sticking its nose into what you do with your property"?

9. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

:lol::rotfl: