1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you support the death penalty at all?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Xanikk999, Jan 18, 2007.

?

When do you support the death penalty.

1. Never Ever!

47.1%
  2. For any murderer or someone who commits treason.

5.0%
  3. Usually no, but maybe under certain circumstances.

15.0%
  4. Serial killers but not just someone who murders one person.

0.7%
  5. Any murderer.

2.1%
  6. I am very leniant about the death penalty, a wide range of crimes deserves it IMO.

7.9%
  7. Murderers, rapists, traitors.

12.9%
  8. Other

9.3%
  1. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

I don't care if they do it again. I don't care if the death penalty provents crime. Murder is an awfull crime and the murder should pay the ultimate price.

2. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

You're joking, right? Right?

3. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

No, my mental processes simply go a few steps beyond being able to sound like a smart alec and using smileys.

I'll bother to reply again when you say something of substance.

4. EdwardTking

EdwardTking Deity

No. Death penalty is unpleasant. I prefer not to joke about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler#The_Beer_Hall_Putsch

"On April 1, 1924 Hitler was sentenced to five years' imprisonment at Landsberg prison for the crime of conspiracy to commit treason. Hitler received favoured treatment from the guards and had much fan mail from admirers. Hitler was released on December 20, 1924 after the authorities decided that he was not a danger to the public. Including remand, he had served just over one year of his five-year sentence."

5. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

Please come home from Oz, and I'll come back to reality. :p

I'll await patiently the day when you see the error of your ways.

6. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

No, it is dishonorable for a man to kill another man who is defensless whatever his crimes may be. Honor is IMO important.

7. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

Some people have too many connections in the underworld, or are just plain too violent to be kept alive. Those people would hurt other humans if let live.

8. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Okay, then saying that a lot of deaths would have been avoided had Hitler been sentenced to death is the most illogical and irrational argument in favor of the death penalty I've heard in a long time.
    Should we automatically sentence to death every popular 5-year inmate on the ground that they could be the next Hitler?

9. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

[off-topic]Since we've reached a lull in the debate, I'll address your accusation. I noticed that you called me Katheryn, Sidhe. Why did you do that?[/off-topic]

10. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Because you both have the same avatar :)

11. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

[off-topic]Is that the reason, Sidhe? And, Masque, do you make the same accusation?[/off-topic]

12. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    That's the reason, Myzenium. I don't know what the avatar is, but when I see it think "Katheryn", since she posts more.

13. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

I'll let you deal with Sidhe. I think I'm on the same track as he is, but I wouldn't presume.

14. brennan

What accusation?

15. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

Bah, I care not if Sidhe sees my question. I'm guilty enough of thread-jacking as it is. My avatar is a piece of art from Civ4, provided by the CivFanatics mods. It's called "Free Religion". There, the cat's out of the bag, I'm not Katheryn, and I will disregard any further accusation by Sidhe that I'm breaking that forum rule.

16. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Do I support the death penalty? Complicated. I do think some peopl deserve to be killed. Saddam for example. Or a child rapist or whatever. However I don't think the state should have the power to kill people. Thus dilema...as obviously it is the state which enacts the law this means that I can't support it. if in a situation of anarcy where guilt of horendus crime was 100% proof then different matter.

17. brennan

Paranoia? Or maybe he simply mistook you for someone with the same avatar. It happens.

18. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

What Sidhe might have been implying is quite serious. I quote the forum rules:

At the very least, if I had been both Katheryn and myself, I would have had been given at least a warning, and all except one of my illegal CFC accounts would have been deleted. Not only that, but I think a lot of members of the community ostracize known owners of multiple accounts. That's why I felt obligated to defend myself.

19. CaptainF

CaptainF The Professional Poster

Well, as others have mentioned, the risk of executing innocents is paramount. Definetly something to avoid.

Yet at the same time, if someone raped/killed/wronged one of my family members or friends, I would want them to die like nothing else. Hell, I'd volunteer to pull the trigger.

Yes, some people do deserve to die. Some might even need to die if you catch my drift. But at the same time I do not want any innocents executed.

So, I'm undecided. If somehow a flawless Death Penalty system could be devised, I'd support it for murderers, rapists, terrorists, and other such goons.

20. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

When was the last time a serial killer escaped in the US? Supermax prisons keep them in well enough.

Legal fees associated with executions make executions more expensive then life imprisonment.