1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you support the death penalty at all?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Xanikk999, Jan 18, 2007.

?

When do you support the death penalty.

1. Never Ever!

47.1%
  2. For any murderer or someone who commits treason.

5.0%
  3. Usually no, but maybe under certain circumstances.

15.0%
  4. Serial killers but not just someone who murders one person.

0.7%
  5. Any murderer.

2.1%
  6. I am very leniant about the death penalty, a wide range of crimes deserves it IMO.

7.9%
  7. Murderers, rapists, traitors.

12.9%
  8. Other

9.3%
  1. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    @Myz: I don't think he was accusing you of sock puppetry. You just have the same avvie as a very noticeable poster here, that's all.

2. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

That's something a lot of people here have asked Myzenium, so far without any answer...

3. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

Are you saying then, Perf & Masque, that the government should report any escaped murderers of any kind to the press immediately? Heads would roll if the Texas Chainsaw killer escaped jail, and I'm not just talking about victims' heads. We live in a real world, where politicians will take responsibility for security oversights. One wrong move, and re-election is not a option, and resignation begins to look like a true friend.

Even if the government was perfectly honest about all prison escapees, it matters not to me. Any prisoner could escape, and a small percentage of them are serial killers. Serial killers are usually educated, and they often use any means to conceal their identities, and often attempt to frame others for their murders. They are among the worst section of society, and I wouldn't give them the chance to repent of their crimes, for they cannot be trusted at all.

Who pays those legal fees? If you say 'the government', then I would say that's one more reason to be ruthless to the convicted murderers. It's no secret that the federal government of the USA has been saddled with tremendous debt for some time, and frankly I don't want them incurring any unneccessary expenses. Take away the death-row inmates' right to appeal, and I'll be happy.

4. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Do you know how many people have been given life sentences in jail and sent to death row that were actually innocent? There is an entire website dedicated to this issue that shows all the accounts of people wrongly accused that have spent years and years in jail or were executed that were later proved to be innocent through the use of genetic testing.

5. Atlas14

Myzenium, this might help:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/

It shows numerous people that have been wrongly accused but only after decades and decades of jail time were they released due to genetic testing evidence. Mistakes happen, and the final verdict is not always right.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Any person who commits an act that takes away another human being's life in cold murder should recive the death penalty.

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

That's just unevidenced paranoia.

The chance is so small, that I think we can consider it insignificant.

Indeed it is the government. That's why we should get rid of it.

Take away the death-row inmates' right to appeal, and I'll be happy.[/QUOTE]That would destroy a crucial part of our justice system. The right to appeal is essential.

8. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Atlas. I realize that there is a long list of wrongfully accused, but my stance remains the same. I don't care if someone frames me for murder; I would understand the need to have myself executed. I'd rather have 10,000 innocents be executed than 10% of serial killers escaped. This may seem irrational to you people, but that's my take. You may value the lives of the innocent more than I do. That's your opinion, not mine.

9. Atlas14

Why? Why would 10% of serial killers escaping not be preferable to 10,000 innocents being wrongly executed? Do you really suppose serial killers are that uncatchable, and would not be caught again if they did happen to escape?

10. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Now your just lying. That is all.

11. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

State your stance clearly, and I'll mock you. Seriously, I don't expect you to believe that people lie. You of all people should know about honesty.

Frankly, it's more likely that a serial killer would escape than a petty thief. As I said before, the serial killers are the real deal in criminal wrong-doing.

I don't know what you mean by this. You're up to your old tricks, I see.

How is a death-row inmate's right to appeal 'essential'?

12. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Anyone whos life is at risk certainly has an essenital right to an appeal.

If the penalty is death it certainly is more essential then any other crime.

13. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

Now I'm really on trial. :p

Explain my motive to lie about my opinion in this thread.

14. Atlas14

To prevent people from being wrongly accused, to promote democracy. Have you read anyone's posts? Read the website about those being wrongly accused. That is partly why the right to appeal is vital.

15. Atlas14

Lame attempt for attention.

16. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Nobody in thier right mind would accept death as a punishment if they were innocent without a fight.

You practically agreed with the punishment in the post i quoted. :lol:

17. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

First, who lives, if the murderers go unpunished and repeatedly escape? Who lives, if no one kills the murderers and the rest of humanity dies? The criminals, of course. This is my home too, and I won't surrender it to them without a fight.

And yes, it is hard to catch a serial killer.

Now I'm being called crazy. Not the first time. I think I've had enough abuse for this month.

Which quote we talking about?

18. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

I read your post, and I don't need to read any sad stories tonight. I get enough depressing stuff off the daily news. How many hours you think I got to read everyone's life story? :p

19. Atlas14

You make it sound as if when one of these criminals escapes all of humanity is doomed :lol: . Believe me, criminals cannot repeatedly escape, the security is just too tight. And actually yes, it is typically easy to catch an escaped inmate because they are wearing prison clothes and have their face known all over, and they have no car and no money, so must resort to crime to get back up to speed. When they commit even their first petty crime right out of jail, they usually get caught.

I think it is way past your bedtime. Are you actually equating the escape of a criminal to the invasion force of a foreign army? :rolleyes:

20. Myzenium

Myzenium Regent

One criminal can't do much harm in a lifetime, but all of them put together could cause a lot of mayhem. Execute all convicted murderers, and they can't do more harm. My turn, Atlas. Why do you value the lives of every person so dang much? I don't even value my own life that much, btw.

CriminalS, Atlas. Plural. There are thousands of murderers on the books, and if they all escape, a lot of people will suffer. At least the executioner gives every detainee, innocent or otherwise, a swift death.

I agree that I'm feeling rather down (a lot of insults tonight), so I'll just call it quits for now (or for a few months, depending on how I feel in the morning).