Do you sweeten your tea?

• Of course, with pride!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Never! Blasmphemy!

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • When the mood strikes me

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
When I make my own tea, I drink it straight (no sugar, lemon, milk, cream, anything). I do occasionally have iced tea and some of that is sweetened. Nowhere near Southern-style sweet tea, though, that is an abomination.

English Breakfast? A little sugar and a little milk.

Earl Grey? Nothing added.

Earl Grey is excellent on its own; it comes with an extra kick of citrus. Some kind of orange, I think.

Southern style sweet tea has an addictive taste and that taste is the only way I can stand to drink tea. If the amount of chill and the amount of sugar varies in the slightest, then it is not palatable. I will not waste the tea though, but drink it any ways.

Hot tea? Used to when I was a kid, don't bother anymore.

Iced tea? Gotta have sugar, no other way to drink it.

I prefer my tea plain and very steeped.

Tea with meal - no sugar
Tea by itself - add sugar

Sweet tea is a southern tradition -- we make tea by the pitcher, serve it cold, and pre-mixed with a cup or more of sugar. It's one I abandoned when I started losing weight, though; I've phased out sugar to the point that the most I put into a multi-gallon pitcher is an eighth of a cup. That stills seems a lot to me, even though I can hardly taste the difference. I've grown completely accustomed to the taste of unsweet tea as a result.

I live in the North and actually gave up sweet tea, but then McDonalds brought it back, and now I am addicted again. They don't always get it right, but the days they do, I am amazed.

Honey is good in tea as well.

^ This. I nearly always drink my sweet tea with honey. I like tea with milk too, but I don't drink it as often. Mixing liquid chocolate and tea is also delicious but don't do that as often as I should either [Most chocolate packs in the US are utterly disgusting reason being]

I never sweeten tea, either hot or iced.

Apparently Texas is unlike much of the former Confederacy in that sweetened iced tea is the exception rather than the rule. A lot of restaurants with self-serve iced tea will have an urn of each available, but if there's only one it's probably going to be unsweetened.

Milk and sugar, as a rule. Anything else is for great Southern pansies who still have all their teeth.

I very seldom drink tea, but when I do, it's always sweet tea brewed in the Southern United States.

Edit: Given the post above this, I find it amusing that geographical stereotypes for tea-sweetening are flipped across the Atlantic.

You'd kind of expect that if McDonald's is going to get something right that it will be consistent about it.

Tea is brewed fresh. It is not a pre-made frozen drink, or syrup. It is vulnerable to human error.

I started drinking green tea. When I made it I would put honey in it. Then I realized the amount of honey I had to put in to actually make a difference in taste would be a lot. I just drink the green tea as is now.

I drink hot tea straight.
I drink iced tea as it is served by whoever is serving it. I drank sweet tea when we lived in NC.

The thread on reusing tea bags reminded me of one of the great philosophical questions of life - whether to sweeten tea or not. Some people consider it mandatory, others consider it heresy, and I'm sure there are a few who go back and forth and are considered blasphemers by both sides.

Myself, I toyed with the concept of sweet tea while living in the U.S. south, but ultimately concluded that the focus should be on the tea, not the sugar, and have since recanted for my former ways and no longer sweeten my tea.

I drink tea that is good enough to not need sweeteners. I drink Celestial Seasonings green tea (It has white tea mixed in) with honey/lemon ginseng. If I drink something like generic Lipton's black tea, then I'd need sweetener. But given that choice, I'd rather just drink water.

Top Bottom