Do you think Civ VI is the best in the series?

Not until it has better modding support. I think vanilla Civ VI is quite good, although perhaps less coherent than Civ V after all expansions, but the fact Civ V has essentially limitless content extensions available and Civ VI doesn't just puts Civ VI further behind.

I think it's the best in the series, by far. The gameplay, the content, and replayability are better than in previous games. I don't use mods though, and I really don't care about mods and modability at all. So I can't judge on that.

Yes, I think it is the most fun and most accessible entry in the series, I can't go back to older iterations now that I am hooked on VI, but it's also the most frustrating entry since I see so much wasted potential.

As fanatics we tend to fixate on the problems but I do think it's good to occasionally remember how much you love the game, despite its issues.

No, I don't think so. It started out much better than vanilla Civ5, but the expansions have improved much less on the experience than the Civ5 expansions did. I find variation between games to be much smaller in Civ6 than it was in Civ5, and end game (post-industrial) is a complete bore.

This will probably be the most subjective and divisive topic on this forum :)

Even though the game is not perfect and I see much that could be improved, I really enjoy Civ VI. Is it the best Civ game ever? That is a tough call.

When I first discovered Civilization (1) as a teenager in the early 1990s, I was completely fascinated by it. The ability to build my own civilization, enjoy its development and success, balance its income and expenditure, to explore a huge world, was something I had never experienced before. You can only get a feeling like that once, and from that point of view, Civ I was the best Civ game (for me). I am much older now, and I no longer get that excited about anything, sadly.

The following several iterations of the game, up to and including IV, were pretty much the same game, each time extended and improved, but unchanged at its core. The huge change came with Civ V, its hexes and the one unit per tile rule. I really enjoyed those changes, since I always hated the cheesy mechanics of stacks of doom, which reduced combat to a Schwartz lenght contest. Stacks of Doom were one of the reasons I do not share the love for Civ IV, which is so common among CivFanatics. Still, I played Civ V for years, I liked it a lot, but I did not love it like I did Civ I years before.

Civ VI with its expansions and DLCs builds upon Civ V, and I really enjoy the new features - disctricts and their placement, natural disasters, loyalty. The number and variety of the playable Civs is also amazing. Each time I start a new game, I look forward to discovering the world, and making the most of it for my civilization. There is always something fun to do - getting that perfect Petra spot, or the ultimate location for an Industrial Zone, or a godly Campus blessed by multiple Geothermal vents. Some of that excitement I felt as a teenager is back.

For me then, the best Civ game ever is either Civ I or VI. Considering how hard it is to make an impression on me these days, and keep me playing for 1500 hours, Civ VI - which managed to do it - is probably better than Civ I.

If so, why do you believe so? Does Civ VI compare favourably to previous games in the series?

No, for the simple reason that it seriously violates the KISS principle.

A good game should have few rules that create a complex game. Civ VI has huge amounts of rules and game mechanics which are largely superfluous or ignored by the players.

Sometimes less is more. And that is not only true for civ vi but also other games.

I've been playing since Civ1 and I think that each sequel has been an improvement on the last, even if there are some really enjoyable elements that are lost. I have never been able to go back and play earlier versions once I've gotten into the latest one, as the newest version always seemed to have more complexity and challenge.

Having said that, the switch from V to VI was probably the least amount of improvement I've seen. Theres a laundry list of things I would change/add/remove, but ultimately it just doesn't hold my attention as well as V did, particularly in the late game. In most previous versions I would play games as long as possible even if I was losing, just because it was so immersive. Now I find that I quit by the industrial age even when I'm winning because I just don't care enough to see the rest through.

I was really hoping for a BNW level improvement for the latest update, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Fingers crossed for VII I guess...

I came in with CivII, and remember finding that enthralling enough to keep going for ages after the game had been won. CivIII added little, though I remember liking the Napoleonic Wars scenario. CivIV I still go back to, less for the main game than for Rhyse and Fall, which for my money, has not been bettered as a scenario. I was very fond of CivV by the end, but I don't now go back to it. VI, I go back and forth on. I think the attention to the map can make for very interesting games, but I also find myself getting bored quicker than with earlier iterations. Could be age... So I don't know where I'd land on best in series - most have had their charms. But I guess the fact I can still go back to IV after all these years and get something out of it probably gives it the edge.

Yes. I started at V and loved it. I feel VI is an improvement is just about every way. I tried playing IV after V and just could not get into it.

After playing IV early this year, I think it's the best one. So no, VI is definitely not the best, and in some ways, it's actually getting worse. At release it had a coherent design, but with the expansions and additions it become more and more disjointed.

I think the fact that Yogscast and that PotatoMcWhiskey youtube guy are currently playing a modded version of civ5 a couple weeks after the civ6 new frontier patch came out isn't a good sign for civ6 being the best in series:
https://www.twitch.tv/yogscast

I think civ6 is a great game, but overall civ5 is better (especially with mods)

Started at civ 1, the one i probably got most addicted too and enjoyed the most is still civ iv.

But i do like 6 more than i liked 5 in fact

One thing i just dont like i am afraid is world congress, it doesnt feel like one at all - just added on busy work...and flavour is important to me

Last edited:
Why on Earth would I judge my own enjoyment of a game based on the experience and practice of other people?

Well obviously you wouldn't, and neither do I. My point was, I think it's telling that a large part of the Civ community still plays Civ5 even after all the expansions have dropped for Civ6, especially people who are fanatical about the civ franchise, like these guys.

Mechanically, yes.
Now, with DLLs it would be truly limitless power... but you could make civ5 in civ6 almost wholesale right now. Can’t do the reverse. I think with source code access you could make a hex based Civ4 as well (as is stacking units is possible via modding but the stack combat rules are Wonky.)
You cannot do that the other way. This is good!

While I think the game-product that is civ6 is a Mile ahead of 5, I also think the current point of balance is not everyone’s cup of tea because it’s a bit different from past games.

Mechanically, yes.
Now, with DLLs it would be truly limitless power... but you could make civ5 in civ6 almost wholesale right now. Can’t do the reverse. I think with source code access you could make a hex based Civ4 as well (as is stacking units is possible via modding but the stack combat rules are Wonky.)
You cannot do that the other way. This is good!

While I think the game-product that is civ6 is a Mile ahead of 5, I also think the current point of balance is not everyone’s cup of tea because it’s a bit different from past games.
This. Though I still would give the overall trophy to Civ IV for various reasons, I rarely go back to it (though I actually do sometimes) simply because I hate endless unit stacks. Civ VI is so so so so close for me though.

Top Bottom