Do you think that the expansion will really improve this game?

See title

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 66 21.6%
  • It will add new stuff but will not fix the fundamental issues, so not really

Votes: 116 38.0%
  • Not at all, it will be just Firaxis milking the cash cow even further

Votes: 68 22.3%
  • It could go any way, we'll have to wait and see

Votes: 55 18.0%

• Total voters

lordsurya08

class-A procrastinator
Vote and discuss. I personally believe that an expansion works only if the game beneath it is good to begin with, IE as BTS was for Civ 4. In case of Civ 5, the fundamentals need to be fixed before anything else...

Vote and discuss. I personally believe that an expansion works only if the game beneath it is good to begin with, IE as BTS was for Civ 4. In case of Civ 5, the fundamentals need to be fixed before anything else...

Who said there was going to be an expansion? I'm not sure that firaxis will do anything more than release more DLC.

Who said there was going to be an expansion? I'm not sure that firaxis will do anything more than release more DLC.

Chances are that if there ever is a Civ5 "expansion pack" , it will just be a bunch of already-released DLC's bundled together at a discounted price.

To answer the OP's question, I do not think that an expansion pack can really improve the game any more than adding a second storey would improve a house with shoddy foundations. The result would just be a two-storey house with shoddy foundations.

I believe the game is fundamentally sound. It needs some tweaks, but with each patch, so far, the game has improved. I enjoy it quite a bit. I, unlike many others, will not compare it to CiIV BTS. That game was well beyond CiIV Vanilla and Warlords.

The developers designed a damn good game IMO - not perfect, but damn good. Expansion will add elements to gameplay that will make it much more complex and challenging as was done with previous Civilization games. Although many people don't like the game, I enjoy it and will continue to play it through patches and expansions.

There are three things that are horribly irking me at this point and really stop me from enjoying the game. They won't be fixed by the addition of new content in the form of an expansion. Having said that, if even 1 of them were dealt with in a patch, I'm positive I'd be playing the game with the the same furor I played Civ4.

I think it will, the main issues with Civ5 for me are AI problems, if they get those sorted out I'm cool with whatever they add

I need more info on this expansion before making any rash voting decisions.

I really don't believe that civ 5 is "fundamentally flawed."
And if it were, it wouldn't be difficult to change those aspects of gameplay you you despise the most. Unless you're talking about the source engine.

What civ 5 lacks is depth. An expansion is supposed to add that.

I really don't believe that civ 5 is "fundamentally flawed."
And if it were, it wouldn't be difficult to change those aspects of gameplay you you despise the most. Unless you're talking about the source engine.

What civ 5 lacks is depth. An expansion is supposed to add that.
I would argue that the happiness system is flawed, and despite months trying to think of a decent solution that isn't overly complex but still preserves "global happiness", I can't think of one.

It seems hard to believe an expansion wouldn't improve the game to some degree. Much like how the patches have gone a long way to improving the overall experience. It will add more options, more choices and depth to the game as one would expect. One could only hope it will bring a more balanced experience as well, but that is hard to do.

That being said, those who dislike the game because of it's perceived fundamental flaws will be throwing their money away by purchasing any expansions.

I would argue that the happiness system is flawed, and despite months trying to think of a decent solution that isn't overly complex but still preserves "global happiness", I can't think of one.

ditch global happiness. we already know that cities can have their individual stats. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch, or even much of a departure from pop cap happiness.

Or, have global happiness work as a modifier along side city happiness. I don't really know.

Last news we got from them is when Shafer left. I think they're way over there head with this and all the staff is on the "boring" facebook project.

They cant even come up with a real patch, what make you think they will come up with an expansion... certainly not this year! Unless this...

Chances are that if there ever is a Civ5 "expansion pack" , it will just be a bunch of already-released DLC's bundled together at a discounted price.

I need more info on this expansion before making any rash voting decisions.

You can vote 'we'll have to wait and see', because that is basically what you are saying. Is that too rash for a reasonable man like yourself? :mischief:

I think they will add more bling-bling and "forget" the AI issues for now.

AI is the nerveous system of the game and they will have to rewrite a fair bit, to make it just a little bit better. To make it fantastic, they'll have to rewrite the whole idea.

Don't expect another BTS kind of expansion from this game soon.

The whole point of an "expansion pack" is that it expands on an already good game.

The idea of paying to rescue a disappointing, shallow game with a laughable AI , is itself laughable.

Fool me once Firaxis, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

So no, I'm not going to pay to Firaxis another penny.

Who said there was going to be an expansion? For all we know firaxis might continue down their dirty, greedy path and release nothing but over expensive DLC like they have been.

However if they could release an expansion that contains new concepts, intelligent AI, new civs, more intelligent AI, and intelligent AI, that would be really great. Of course all for only like $20.
From what we've been seeing, $5 for a civ, I'm not sure if this expansion will ever be less than $60 effing dollars.

As the fundamental design is flawed in almost each and every aspect, even under the assumption of an expansion to be released, it won't help the game unless it completely changes the core ideas.
So, no, an expansion won't help the game.

The whole point of an "expansion pack" is that it expands on an already good game.

The idea of paying to rescue a disappointing, shallow game with a laughable AI , is itself laughable.

Fool me once Firaxis, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

So no, I'm not going to pay to Firaxis another penny.

Excellent post and I feel the exact same way.

When the foundations of the house are made of rotten cement it makes little sense to add another story unto it.

Nice sigs as well. :)

When the foundations of the house are made of rotten cement it makes little sense to add another story unto it.

Unless you are a cowboy builder, targeting gullible pensioners.

There's bound to be an expansion, even if it's only repackaged DLC.

I believe the game is fundamentally sound. It needs some tweaks, but with each patch, so far, the game has improved. I enjoy it quite a bit. I, unlike many others, will not compare it to CiIV BTS. That game was well beyond CiIV Vanilla and Warlords.

The developers designed a damn good game IMO - not perfect, but damn good. Expansion will add elements to gameplay that will make it much more complex and challenging as was done with previous Civilization games. Although many people don't like the game, I enjoy it and will continue to play it through patches and expansions.

Thanks for that comment. Where can I sign? :)

Top Bottom