Do you think the Matrix: Reloaded is Francophobic? - Spoiler

redtom

Proudhonist
I was watching Matrix: Reloaded the other day when the French sentinal appeared - he seemed to be arrogant, rude and self obsessed. Do you think he was added as an attack on France due to the current French foreign policy?

I think this movie was filmed before the anti-French sentiment appeared in the US. After all, it was only like, March (right?) that the French really made their stand against the war in Iraq?

What the guy before me said.

I don't think that they could have pulled off the character half as well without the French accent, though.

Also, he wasn't really French, French was just his favorite language.

Bah. If the Merovingian had a Russian accent, there would probably be accusations of "commie-phobia".

Only in America.

I loved that guy!

My favorite is his comment on cussing in French.

"It's like wiping your ass with silk."

Yeah. . .he was cool.

French people in America are often thought of as being stuck up and arrogant. Whether or not this is true is not my place to say. I have met some French people in RL, and of course the members here, and I don't have a problem with any of them.

Now, keep in mind here that I'm not expressing my views, but those that can be found here in America. I do not agree with that attitude/opinion.

The Merovingians were a Dark Ages Frankish tribe. I got the impression that he was French, or at least programed that way.

No way, this guy was GREAT :D

You should have heard the enormous burst of laughs in the theater when he suddendly started his serie of swearings in french :D

I think that he was made "french" because he was supposed to be arrogant, sophisticated, cultured and decadent, all traits which fits perfectly the french stereotype.

And well, even if he's the bad guy, he's just so cool that we can't take it as an insult :D

Do you think he was added as an attack on France due to the current French foreign policy?

No, he was added because he played a part in the plot. ;)

And, IMO, he was one of the highlights in the movie. :goodjob:

I watched the film today and that French guy (Merovingian played by Paris-born French actor Lambert Wilson) is very cool. I think he is one of the best parts of the film. :goodjob:

Originally posted by Akka
No way, this guy was GREAT :D

You should have heard the enormous burst of laughs in the theater when he suddendly started his serie of swearings :D

I think that he was made "french" because he was supposed to be arrogant, sophisticated, cultured and decadent, all traits which fits perfectly the french stereotype.

And well, even if he's the bad guy, he's just so cool that we can't take it as an insult :D

Exactly! Now I want to learn French (or at least learn to swear in French).

if they tried to bash France with that character I think they failed :p

I think they made him appear that way to contrast with the main characters (neo, morpheus and trinity)

today I saw the movie again and definitevly that was a great character :goodjob:

can anyone translate waht exactly that guy said? ....mmh.....ill ask my girlfriend she takes french ..........and makes fun of my german class

There were only three villains:

* non standard Smith (and innumerable replicas) agent
* the Merovingian with the refined taste and French accent
* the architect at the source who designed the matrix

The Merovingian was by far the best!

mmmh......i kind of like agent smith......still.......every single villain has its strenghts.

Top Bottom