1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the patch improved the game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by WorldWarIV, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Do you think the patch improved the game?

1. Yes.

23.7%
  2. No.

11.5%
  3. It improved it a bit but not enough.

23.7%
  4. I would say yes if it wasn't for all the new bugs.

43.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

I'm a bit on the fence about it. Things like the restart button are great, but the new font, missing Sean Bean, AI friendliness and penalties for not having nuclear weaponry are just weird. If the next patch is in another five months, I'm a bit underwhelmed.

2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Would have been nice to make this a poll response.

I like the changes to walls and monarchy and some of the weaker civs. Those are great changes. The missing tech/civics quotes are almost gamebreaking at this point for me. I already had to reload once because I forgot to change civics because I never got a civis popup. The only solution is not to select multiple techs or civis so you get a prompt each time you finish a tech or civic, but I'm not a big fan of that either. As sometimes I forget my intermediate range goals :), so having my tech path planned out several techs helps me remember.

Firaxis, if you are reading this, we are in desperate need of a hotfix. I'm not in love with Sean Bean or anything, but this is almost causing me to stop playing the game. I may actually quit after my current game. I need Sean Bean to remind me to change civics, or upgrade my units.

3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Yeah I really hope they can come out with a patch before the next DLC to fix the problems created by this one. I don't think they've done that before, but this is probably the most problematic patch release so far.

It's not that the patch content itself was bad - I think the changes do make the game better. It just clearly hadn't been tested enough before release and has introduced a bunch of new bugs. Which is disappointing given it was in development so long.

I definitely don't fancy waiting five months for the next patch.

CPWimmer and Tech Osen like this.
  4. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Even if they waited for the next DLC, I would think it would be less than 5 months.

I do think on the whole it's better, but yeah, the missing notifications is a really weird bug to have slip through. Maybe they'll hotfix it with a cross-platform patch in a few weeks.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  5. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

I'm sorry I don't know how to do that, I'll try to figure it out.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

That's what I am hoping.

7. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

And here you go. My first poll!

Olleus likes this.
  8. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

Sean Bean is still around, isn't he? Anyway, I like it, although I hope there is a hotfix for the new bugs. My favorite changes:
    * Walls are more useful now
    * Monarchy is better now
    * Aqueducts and sewers are less expensive
    * Restart button, oh how I have missed that. And I like being able to save configurations.
    * Good balance changes for some civs, like France and Norway.

A great update in my opinion. But they need to fix the worst bugs quickly.

9. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

In many cases, 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

We finally get a restart button, which is better late than never I guess, but I've heard it isn't functioning correctly (as in, it randomises the game when you restart which is the opposite of what its meant to do? I haven't tried it yet myself).
    Some good changes to walls and various other balance issues, but Nubia is going to need some adjustments.
    Improvements to AI are difficult to tell because they seem to be overshadowed by numerous and often game-breaking bugs. AI leaders are actually probably a little too friendly now as well.
    Why is there now a popup for changing values on the trade deal screen? It doesn't serve a purpose or make it easier to use. All it does it add another click to the process which is infuriating!

Overall, it's a decent patch but it's also plagued with bugs and I cannot understand how they made it through into the release version considering how long Firaxis made us wait for this update. I was expecting more from what, 5 months of development time??!

The update is in dire need of a hotfix.

AntoineS and Tiger Genocide like this.
  10. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

The restart button is a huge thing for me and I love that it's back.

Unfortunately, however; the game still can't seem to hold my attention. I tried a game with Nubia; got an amazing capital city start, Uluru just a few tiles north in a prime location for a Petra city, Cleopatra to my East, Kongo to my North. Set up as a very interesting game that I was super excited to play. I rushed some archers and quickly dispatched of Cleopatra (who had denounced me for being weak, go figure). Kongo is in love with me for my faith coming in through Uluru and after I asked them to not settle near me they stopped settling altogether.

Now I'm in the medieval ages with 10+ cities and excellent locations for probably 6 more. But I'm so bored. I'm doing the same build for every city over and over. Kongo won't attack me, they love me. All other Civs are across the sea and fighting amongst themselves. I really feel I have about 150 to 200 turns of pressing next turn and building cities just because I can before I win a science or cultural victory. I'm so sick of building the same 3 districts in every city, spamming ranged units for defense, and reassigning trade routes. It's so boring. I've never felt like this about a Civ game it's very discouraging :(

11. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

They did do hotfixes for Civ5, iirc., when some patches broke some things badly. We can hope they'll do the same here. Question is if they deem game unplayable in its current state.

12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

That's the thing though, it manifestly is not unplayable. The bugs are annoying, but not game-breaking. If they were, Firaxis would be obliged to release a hotfix. As it stands, I believe they will wait until the next planned patch (presumably cross-platform, unless that doesn't come out before DLC6).

13. Spudsie74

Spudsie74 Chieftain

Yes, definitely. It still has room for improvement :lol:, but I had to droop down from Emperor to King (mostly because of the inability to use the CQUI w/the new patch). It took about 3 or 4 games to get used to the changes. Most of the balance changes are a plus, although I am not sure about the settler increment bump...seem to demand even more early game aggression.:mischief:

I started a list of everyone's pet peeves about the game, and Firaxis in general, but ran out of room on my hard drive. :D Note that despite this, we are all busy playing...not perfect but still damn fun.:smoke:

Going to go back to Emperor with Austrailia (just one more game....). My main difficulty was being too lazy to go through all the screens necessary to micro-manage...(CQUI really spoils a person). Once I realized that I was just making careless mistakes (too lazy), it was fairly easy to adjust to the balance changes.

Improved gameplay, Si! :thumbsup:

Bugs, UI ect. No!:nono:

14. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

It's more enjoyable to me, for sure.

15. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Chieftain

Baby steps and they can't even do it properly. Do they test before releasing something?

16. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

That's a great question. For example, exactly how long did it take you, the customer, to realize that the quote notifications were messed up? Five minutes? Just sayin....

17. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

I got some new bugs that aren't game-breaking but they do mess up with my plans slightly...
    My Government Legacy Bonuses are broken. When I went from Classical Republic to Monarchy my CR bonuses disappeared! I wanted that GP bonus!
    (I was accumulating two government bonuses at same time, CR and Monarchy. When I switched to Monarchy both bonuses disappeared, and I started accumulating for Monarchy and Theocracy. :crazyeye:)

The friendly AI is a big plus to me. I've complained about the Diplomacy AI countless times on this forum. Before it was a mix of G&K aggressiveness and BNW warmonger-hating but now they settled down to BNW-style.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  18. empresskiova

empresskiova Chieftain

From the gameplay balance perspective I like the new changes. Now I have a reason to bother with walls, because Steel is a far way off. I do wish they would have left the auto-walls linked to culture (to give culture players that edge over science players), but oh well. Monarchy getting buffed is also a more than welcome change. It makes Monarchy runs significantly more doable.

I imagine the Civ adjustments are within reason. Scythia really needed that nerf. The envoys for Greece is also quite nice, giving Pericles a little nudge in the right direction.

And making districts cheaper is a fantastic change. The AI really needed the bump, since I imagine they ignore districts if they take 14+ turns... I wonder if your bombers can still destroy your friends' districts...

Tiger Genocide and RohirrimElf like this.
  19. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Chieftain

I was wondering if this is an old thing or an issue with the last update. But in my last game with Russia i diddnt really plan to go to war with my neighbour Poland. But when i looked at the military power of my neighbour it was at zero. Not just for Poland but the 4 least civilizations all had zero or very minimal forces. Those AI`s had between 3 to 5 cities at that point. At that time Poland had about 5 good placed cities and he was technologically about even with me. I just build 2 bombards. I diddnt really have much of an army but i attacked Poland immidiately with my 2 bombards and 1 fast melee cav unit. The city fell in about the first turn when my bombards blasted what much be the ancient walls. The next couple of turns my bombards blasted its defences to about zero and i captured the city with my only melee unit. After that i walked a bit across the map around some mountains and attacked another city i wanted. I repeated doing the same thing as the last city attack. I believe Poland build 1 or 2 units in the meanwhile but diddnt really use it in its defence. It just felt it took no effort on my part. I`ve been using AI mods before the patch made them broken and i did have more opposition in other games. But is this what happens to your games as well (the AI not building any forces?) The best AI`s had double my military strenght do.

20. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Chieftain

I was thinking maybe give this game another shot post-patch......iiiii don't think so...... Reading this forum is not encouraging. The gaming industry is on a downward spiral ... Sounds to me like the game is totally broken atm.

TheMeInTeam, AntoineS and Zuizgond like this.