Do you think the Scots should be added to civ3?

Do you think the Scots should be added to civ3?

• Yep

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Nah

Votes: 63 59.4%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 15 14.2%

• Total voters

Pangur Bán

Deconstructed
I mean, they didn't add them to conquests...but they might have. So, just like the Assyrians poll, it a question of whether or not they should have been added.

PROS

1) Centre of Enlightenment
2) Scottish Intellectuals shaped much of the modern world
3) Scottish inventions shaped modern world
4) Scotsmen shaped the world more than most nations, almost everywhere, from Russia to Canada.
5) Last independent Celtic kingdom in the world
6) They're cool, esp. the highlander/clansman UU
:cool:
7) Neither proper Celts, nor English, the Scots have a pretty unique history
8) Although it's small, there are many civs just as small historically, that may or may not be as worthy (However, let's not go there...it's already been done on CFC)

CONS

1) Small
2) Never had a big empire
3) Europe is already waaaaaaay overrepresented
4) Not many Scots buying civ3??

Anyhoo, you're also invited to come vote on the Most Influential Scotsman Ever? :goodjob:

Nope!

ANyway, my vote is YES

My reasoning can be found below:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53718

Voltaire said at the height of the Enlightenment that "we all look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilization." He acknowledged what too many people nowadays forget, Scotland was not only important in its own right as a civilization, it was one of the most important. Just because it never had a big empire like the Mongols or the Huns, doesn't lessen this.

No. They just dont compare with the mighty empires of Babylon, Persia, China or Rome. If Europe was a fringe of Civilization like North America pre-1600 (which is the only reason why the Iroqois were in, who don't even compare to the Scots) then it might have got in but there are pleanty greater European civs.

I voted yes without even reading your arguements :)
The Scots are great. I'd like to see the Irish and the Welsh (although they have even worse city names than the Aztecs:p ) in there too, so they could all quench their feelings of inferiority by taking the :hammer: to the English :cool:
For Civ 4 I'd like to see an unlimited amount of Civs, or at least a limit that's even higher than in C3C. There are just soo many noteworthy civs out there. Besides, that way the Swedes could have their own civ and not blame us Norwegians for the fact that none of the 5 first Scandinavian cities are Swedish (and 3 are Norwegian, including the capitol ;) ).

Masque: I bet you Joan of Arc did too :)

It's interesting that so many people feel negatively about the Scots. Whenever I've seen group civ polls, the Scots have always finished in the top regions. In a poll I had before conquests, the Assyrians and Scots were in the same poll and the Scots finished higher. There are now two separate polls, asking individually if the Scots and Assyrians should be added. The poll for Assyria is about 3 to 1 in favor, the poll for the Scots is 3 to 1 against.

Curious...eh? :confused: :lol:

I thought that they were already in the game represented by the barbarians...?
What would their attributes be... Haggis breeding and bagpipes..?

;) :D

Morgan

Originally posted by Capt Buttkick
Masque: I bet you Joan of Arc did too :)

Jeanne d'Arc wore nothing but nicely worked plate armors. On sundays and weddings, she even had a pink one. :lol:

But Scots... they play music by blowing in a dead animal's stomach, come on. :)

:lol:
The scots should be in there, if for nothing else then their sense of humour. I went to England and Scotland with a couple of friends like 10 years ago travelling the countryside in a beatup VW beetle. It was the summer of the great whaling debate and we all wore t-shirts that read "We kill whales for fun" or something to that effect (I know, childish and provocative, but to my defense we were young and silly (now I'm older and sillier :p )). We were almost thrown out of England, came to Scotland and got one comment: "don't you eat them?" :D

Edit: Hey! One more vote for the scots!
Let's give'em one for Culloden!

NO, NO, NO

The sweaty socks never had an empire, dont have their own head of state, currency, army or a real govenment, they are Celts ruled by the English.

no

Aren't the Scots represented by the Celts???

Anyway, the poeple in south-east Asia, Caribbean, and Africa need MUCH, MUCH more representation.

My first off-the-cuff interpretation of Voltaire's comment is that people saw Scotland as a "savage" land just at the current moment *becoming* civilized. That would be a reason why everyone would "look to scotland" for thier "ideas about civilization."

I'm not saying that would have been a correct view to take about scotland, but based on what little I've seen about how Scotland was concieved at the time, that is how I interpret the quote from Voltaire.

A. Would you like my adress so you may come kick the crap out of me?
B. Does anyone have any information to set me straight?

-mS

It was written at a time when Scotland was at the centre of European intellectual culture. It wasn't "beoming civilized"; the Scottish lowlanders were the most literate people in the world at the time.

The Scots really do have a terrible image. People have so many prejudices and yet know so little...it really is a terrible shame :(

Anyway, another quote, from Winston Churchill:

"Off all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind. "

I voted the same way as I did with the Assyrian poll. Thanks for the third option. I guess it is better than an outright "no."

But, in any case... here's to the Scots!

I seem to remember you asked this question before...

3 people got banned for airing their views (me included) and you were warned for your role in that, and told not to start up again.

Seems like your showing a blatant disrespect of the moderators' authority by starting this lark again :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Nad
I seem to remember you asked this question before...

3 people got banned for airing their views (me included) and you were warned for your role in that, and told not to start up again.

Seems like your showing a blatant disrespect of the moderators' authority by starting this lark again :rolleyes:

No Nad...sorry that you're wrong again. You'd make a pretty bad mod, as I was told nothing of the sort. :lol:

The reasons the last thread was closed was because people like you hijacked it (and maybe also because in my opening posts I made national comparison).

And my respect for moderator authority will be obvious to the mods, who will be witnessing me tolerate posts and posts of ignorant nonsense without turning polemical. :p

Top Bottom