1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think they will make the AI understand naval warfare?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by JtW, Jun 1, 2016.

1. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well that sounds almost like the old system.... but
    It does have problems with the corps/army system.
    One possibility is that the XP meter+ promotions are shared across a unit type. So when enough Warriors have survived battles, you choose a single bonus for ALL your warriors.

2. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I think the designers will successfully get the AI to move and shoot this time around, which alone will vastly improve naval performance. I think they might be able to cut down on the random and unnecessary embarkations of land units in the middle of combat, too.

But designing an AI that can plan and conduct amphibious operations has been a notorious bugbear for strategy game developers, and if the Civ VI AI could manage it that would be a first. I'm not expecting miracles. Water maps will probably still be easier in this regard.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

One possibility is that if Warrior 1 has promotion A, and Warrior 2 has promotion B then Warrior Corps 1+2 has both promotions.

Another possibility is that there is no promotion choice, and Warriors always get promotion A then B then C.

(not that Warriors will be forming Corps, as that's not available until Renaissance/Industrial time frame)

The question then is whether these unit-specific promotions are retained when a unit is upgrade (say from Warrior to Swordsman). I would guess that the answer has to be yes. Which would be cool. Veteran units gain a wide variety of different promotions, instead of Godliness III.

4. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

If it works anything like CivRev, the 2/3 units that combine will turn into a new stronger single unit with a new unit graphic.

The only confirmed stacking is support units

5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Behavior of promotions affects how players will promote different units.

If all units contribute to corps/army promotions, this probably means similar promotions are lost, so you need to have different specializations.

If only first unit contributes to corps/army promotions, it's worth having super-units with maximum upgrades, thus using the same units as much as possible instead of cycling.

If promotions are discarded, we'll needed even smaller set of super units, which will no go into corps/armies, making them from blank ones instead.

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well, possible solutions to that issue. Since they have promotions
    1. Can units of the same type have different promotions? its possible they can't. (I'm hoping they can't)...if so then its not a problem.

2. Units have a # of promotions corresponding to X experience. When you merge units you 'convert' the promotions into experience, and buy new promotions.

7. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Yes, both options could work. I surely like the last one, it could cause some interesting decisions. For example, bonus vs. barbs is a good thing for warrior, but you don't want it for your late game unit. Ability to switch it for something more modern would be nice.

8. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

If you do it when merging, they might force it on upgrade too.

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Yes, but this will make less specialized units. Joining to corps/armies appear maximum 2 times per game, while in Civ5 some units have 7 upgrades. I don't expect that much upgrades as Civ5 units obsolete too often and I expect the upgrade tree to be flattened, but still there's a lot.

10. Callonia

Callonia Deity

There's a mod for civ5 that tells the AI how to do Move+Shoot in same turn. Whether Firaxis figures it out or not is up in the air. If firaxis figures this little part to the AI will result in higher causalities for me in naval battles and land battles. Cuz AI miss out on so much kills this way.

And knowing when to hold their bombers back for repairs will make them tougher as well.

I've seen a bunch of small naval invasions in civ5. Only Hiawatha managed to pull off an massive naval across the ocean invasion with a large navy. He and Netherlands was nuking each other then I jumped in from behind and exploded hiawatha's navy. Only to fight him to a stalemate. Because hundreds of ships.

I felt like I was fighting a deity AI on King difficulty somehow. It was atomic age navies versus each other. Well what really hurt Hiawatha from having his 300+? warships rolling over my 150+ warships is cuz they couldn't move and shoot in same turn. I although this was when I didn't know that AI couldn't move and shoot back then.. Just.. never noticed it somehow. Just thought the AI ran out of movement points and couldn't shoot.

I don't know if Firaxis can do it or not at all.

11. JtW

JtW Prince

Semi-related because it happens both for land and naval units: I hope they manage to reduce pointless unit shuffling in peace time. Once a unit is in the desired defensive position, it shouldn't move, period. They could make turn times so much better if the AI understood this...

12. The_Reckoning

The_Reckoning Prince

The engine has been rebuilt from scratch, which means the AI is likely to have been too.

Cautiously optimistic here - and I am one of those people for whom AI is the most important aspect.

13. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

That would make more specialized units, (since you get to refocus your specialization when you upgrade) it just would mean it doesn't Matter how they specialized before they upgraded.

However, I would actually prefer Less specialized units...have all your warriors with tthe same promotions would help the AI, and make the UI easier.

14. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Somewhere I read that diff. unit types will have diff. set of promotions -
    so eg. scout and warrior being different in this regard...

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Except that was true in CivV too (now if warriors and swordsmen same 'type' have different promotions, that would be new)