1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think we'll get expansions for Beyond Earth?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Leathaface, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I just feel that with Starships being linked in with BE, ie you can affect your Starships games with BE and vice versa, that there might not be any expansions for BE.

If Firaxis did make an expansion for BE they would have to alter Starships too, since that can tie-in with BE. Also the fact that BE is not a main game in the Civilization series, ie not Civilization VI, gives me more doubts.

2. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Yes. One.

3. Acken

Acken Deity

I'll bet on the no. But I don't think that's due to Starships. The interconectivity between the two seems rather minimal.

4. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Well, we can speculate and answer 'yes' or 'no' according to our own individual natures. No-one knows the answer to your question although you can be certain that some folks will pretend that they do. You will see folks playing the Civ4Col card and pointing out that this is a spin-off game and won't get the expansions that a full title will get. They might be right or they might be wrong. They don't know but they are correct in pointing out that Civ BE is not a title all of its own like Civs 1-5 are and there's no precedent for an expansion for a spin-off. Not that I'm aware of anyway. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be something. A lot has changed in the industry in the time since Civ4Col was released so who knows?

Or you can be optimistic and hope that there will be one expansion. Goodness knows, there's room for one of those. I would say that I am cautiously optimistic that there will be something more than just further patches. I think if Firaxis feel there is more money to be made, then maybe they will release something. There's a fairly good chance that there might be a small DLC release with a new faction or other but there is less chance of something bigger along the lines of G&K or BNW for example.

But, at the end of the day, this is not the only 'game in town'. If there is something, I'll buy it, for sure and if there's not, well, it really is not the end of the world for me ;) I'm too excited about the release of AGEOD's first content expansion for To End All Wars early this week to care one way or the other about whether there will be an expansion for Civ BE or not. The 1916 campaign start and the Rumanian scenario will both keep my evenings occupied for a long time to come.

5. s0nny80y

s0nny80y King

I could imagine expansions for Starships and increased interconnectivity between BE and Starships. Heck maybe 6 hexed underwater XCOM might push the agenda of life in extreme conditions that could help us survive an asteroid like crocodiles, fish, and underwater mockups of the ISS since Starships is following the naval theme.

Charlotte's first words to grandpa as he took care of her while her parents were hard at work was, 'what's a born again?'
    And Bill said, 'you know...'
    And she said, 'hell yeah!'
    And then Hillary announced subsidized telescopes in support of ISS.

6. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

I just don't know. I'm more curious as to how much they would charge for one since they charge $50 for Civ:BE

7. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

It's pretty obvious to my eyes that religion of some sort will make it into the game at some point. I say that since it is in the opening movie and it is in the game files.

I don't believe they will add a feature that involved in a DLC, thus I surmise at least one exp.

This is no ordinary spin-off. They are putting some eggs in this basket.

8. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

I don't see why an expansion would have to then change Starships. They aren't using the whole save game. They just have to keep that parts the do in the same format. Or they'd just need a patch for Starships.
    -
    I don't think the religion files mean they would do religion if they had an expansion. To me they look like an attempt that they thought better of and abandoned rather than something they didn't have time for and will get back to. Then again, the religion references in vanilla Civ 5 seemed to just be the civ 4 system, so maybe just like before they were going to just tack on the old system without improvements and decided to go all the way with a new system in and expansion, rather than rehash the same one from before.

9. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Not sure where that was, but I remember that the Devs said that they didn't really like how Religion played in Civ 5 and that it's unlikely that it will return the way it was in Civ 5. And that's probably a good thing, because I pretty much agree that Religion in Civ 5 isn't exactly a great design. It's fun on low difficulties, but especially on Deity it's nothing but a numbers game - one that the player just can't win (except for very specific situations), so the whole dynamic of spreading religion against each other didn't really work out anymore.

10. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Indeed. Also, why make an expansion for a game that, to put it mildly, isn't doing too well? So far we've seen two 'patches', both of which have been major overhauls of what should have been fixed before original release anyway. The game has been on sale twice within months of original release, yet playerbase is still minimal compared to CiV.

11. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Why have you put the word patches in commas in your post?

And balancing a game of such complexity after the release is quite normal and is both to be welcomed and expected. Civ V was the same* and no doubt the balance of major, central systems in Civ 6 will require rejigging for some time to come after the release too.

*Likely it was the same with Civ 3 and 4 too but I wasn't reading forums back then. Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken here ;)

12. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Warlord

I expect to see an expansion at some point, even if it takes another year or so. This is all guesswork, of course, but it would be weird for their efforts put into the game to dwindle to references in other titles.

13. Raider

Raider Warlord

It would be fantastic if an expansion made this game into what it should have been from days one, but adding depth and AC type flavor to the game, replacing current undifferentiated and bland factions and gameplay. That would actually give me a reason to buy the game. Not sure how realistic that is.

14. jmm

jmm Chieftain

I think the Devs mentioned one is planned, but management will crunch numbers before saying ok.
    A big part of the number crunching will be sales and sales curve analysis, however the current negativity towards BE is not ideal. Marketing and sales guys will see "sub-par sales, existing customers not likely to buy it" so the internal sales speech will probably not be good enough.
    Anyway, the negativity could be countered somewhat with a good patch

Starships is a non-issue, Project resources are already allocated. Worst case scenario: no expansion, resources allocated to new Project instead to Expansion team (If the new Project is Civ 6, then It is not the worst case scenario)

15. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

I believe Sid said in an interview about Starships that it took about 3+ years to develop a major, new game. I think it would be a very safe bet to say that work on Civ 6 is already well under way and is not a new project ;). If this is true, I don't think that further work on Civ BE or Starships would necessarily hold back work on Civ 6.

16. Acken

Acken Deity

Yes although I'd say the problem isn't really the mechanic itself (at least for me). The problem arises from faith not scaling well with eras but cost increasing crazily. And the second problem is that faith buys GP. This creates this stupid situation where a missionary is 400-600 faith and a great scientist is 1000. Yeah... sure.

If they got rid of GPP buys and gave more options to focus on faith generation I would enjoy the system a lot more. Then make Piety tree decent with benefits that scale with spreading and here you have a strong way to play religion.

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Is there evidence about this interconnectivity that's been published recently? I thought no-one knew about it.

18. ahawk

ahawk King

I have no idea what they intend for Civ;BE, at this point.

It is in the sort of spot Civ 4 Col was, as many have said, yet it probably has been more profitable since Civ 5 was so good that many more people got interested in Civ. Which means that maybe there will be an expansion.

On the other hand, the announcement of Starships so soon after Civ:BE's release, to me, looks like a sign that Civ:BE is already being sidelined, especially because Starships is supposed to somehow interact with it.

After the dust has settled, I have mixed emotions about wanting anything more from Civ:BE... factional DLC packs were great in Civ 5 because each civ was not just a minor buff and a leader portrait, but also a unique unit, unique music, etc. This time, though, Civ:BE factions can be created by modders easily without losing anything in the process since each sponsor is so less developed compared to the Civ 5 civs. And because of the way affinities are tied heavily into the teching process, I doubt that that could be changed much without also throwing off the tech tree. And adding tourism and religion wouldn't fit the setting very well.

So, at this point, while I'd like to see more for Civ:BE for mechanics and features, I doubt this will happen, and if such is indeed the case then there's no desire from me for Civ:BE DLC because sponsors are easy to mod at this point.

But like I said, who knows what'll happen in the long run.

19. Acken

Acken Deity

No you're right there's no official details (which is revealing imo).

I'll bet it's just about keeping leader affinity combination and some very minor stuff. A gimmick for those owning both games. That's usually how that kind of stuff goes in video games.

20. Manannan

Manannan Prince

This. Ultimately vision for the product plays second fiddle to sales projections, and it seems far more likely BE is quietly buried while other projects with better sales potential get assigned resources instead. Pity, as I think giving BE the Ed Beach treatment with an expansion could yield a good game, it's just unlikely to ever get there given the amount of work that would be required.