1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think you could beat civ6 on Diety right now?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by wiggawuu, Aug 30, 2016.

1. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

First run. With all the information released, do you any of you think you could do it? It seems like people are already figuring out the game mechanics. There are a lot of videos out there now. The base of the game is still civ 5. I bet there are some math quants out there that could do it by just going over the game code before they play.

:confused::confused::):crazyeye:

2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

What would be the fun in that? I mean, who wants to beat a new game on the hardest difficulty level on your first game? Enjoy the game first, then crush it.

3. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

It depends on military balance and AI, really.

Are we going to get a CIV where the AI showed up with a massive stack of doom and ate your lunch unless you'd figured out how to chop and whip an army and showed up on its doorstep first?

Or are we going to get a CiV where cities were weak, mounted was OP and wiping the floor with the AI was trivial?

From what we've seen I'd expect something in between. I'd bet that it'll be stupid easy to exploit agendas to play "nice doggie" in a 1v1 and perhaps even in a four-player game, but standard settings may prove more challenging if the AI makes early armies and knows what to do with them.

4. Lilykamen

Lilykamen Chieftain

I never managed to beat any of the Civ in the highest difficulty settings, so I guess that this one will not be the exception. :crazyeye:

5. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I mean, if I do a 1v1 duel map and play as Aztecs (maybe Scythia), I could make a go of it. Particularly if I can set the AI as a peace-monger with low military unit build bias.

But in a real game? Nope.

Edit: Thinking this through, I might have to do this as my first game. I mean, how awesome would it be to have your first victory be a deity victory, and in fact be one of the first deity victories of all.

Problem is, I almost always play as Rome or India first, and I'm not sure either will have an early enough booze to be particularly helpful. Rome might. I guess I could save them for a more full game.

6. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

I doubt it, and I also hope not. There's too much uncertainty in how things play and what's going to be powerful. An intellectual understanding of the game isn't really a substitute for practice.

7. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Nope, but it actually sounds like fun to start at the highest difficulty and work my way down to where I can win, then work my way back up. I usually start low and work my way up, maybe this will help me avoid developing bad habits like I have in the past. I've got a feeling that first game won't make it very far but I'm hopeful...

8. IronfighterXXX

IronfighterXXX Work Hard - Play Hard

Obviously I don't know, suppose so and really hope no :)

I hope that civ 6 deity will be much harder than civ 5, with not so many ways to fooling around and still win (for this are 7 other difficulties imo )

9. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I just hope the highest difficulty isn't easy-ish like with Civ:BE. I want Diety to be very challenging.

10. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Not for me, no way. And I'm quite fine with that. I'll start on prince or so and learn mechanics, behavior, and how agendas gel. And the freshness of it all will be quite pleasing.

11. Jarru

Jarru Chieftain

Beyond medieval era information about how all the mechanics function is very scarce and without that knowledge is hard to figure out strategy for deity. I'll start from second last level of difficulty (if we have civ5 difficulty levels) and, with information we have now, I expect to beat it.

12. Staler87

Staler87 Warlord

If the highest difficulty is difficult then no. If it is like civ V deity then maybe.

13. Acken

Acken Deity

Depend on :

-AI ability.
    -AI bonuses
    -Balance
    -Exploits

We haven't seen anything really threatening from the Prince AI so far so it's a possibility but there are ways to make the game really hard. It's a combination of all those. Take the civ5 AI, tune it, tune the balance, tune the bonuses and you get a really hard game. While I find Deity on the too easy side, it's still difficult enough to beat you on your first games. On the other hand I knew before CivBE launched that Apollo difficulty would be a joke and was able to beat it on my first game.

I'll be more confident to say whether or not it will be easy closer to release with harder difficulties footage.

Finally, I also expect Civ6 to be released with balance loopholes that when exploited will allow people to beat difficulties without much of an issue.

Also all this expect standard setting. If someone can beat an AI on a duel map with some options I really do not care.

14. Magil

Magil Monarch

The builds we've seen include the AI accepting any deal, like all their cities in exchange for 1 gold... so if it was that build, probably :p

15. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Yeah, I could beat Deity.

16. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

With 1UPT making combat very easy, I bet some expert Civ V players would have a good shot at Domination with standard settings. Especially as a powerful military civ like Scythia. It would take a little luck and at least a decent start, but I bet there are people here that can pull it off.

17. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Currently, I think I could on my very first game win a (mostly peaceful) space victory on Monarch in Civ VI, provided I pick Germany or India / do the same on Prince on my very first game if I pick a random civ on standard map size and default number of AIs.
    I think I could quickly move up to Emperor; but I'm hoping that Emperor with the new barb mechanic is enough of a challenge that I don't feel compelled to move higher than that if as in past civs the AI starts with a builder on Immortal and an extra settler + 2 builders on Deity. (This goes double if the AI gets free extra worker charges on these levels.)

18. Manetheren

Manetheren Chieftain

Deity? :lol::lol::lol: I think I'd rather start at the bottom (well, maybe not Settler) and work my way up.

19. rastak

rastak Emperor

I always start in the middle.

20. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

Answering that question by a Yes would be very pretentious. From what we saw so far, drawing any conclusion is tough as no end game mecanic have been showcased.

But really, it comes down to how the AI will perform militarily. I have no doubt they'll be able to build great powerfull empires with the deity level bonuses they'll get. But if you can still outsmart them to waste units as easily as you can in CiV well it might end up just like CiV Deity.
    The prince videos we saw so far showed 2 good signs for the militaristic AI : Efficient retreat decisions and quite big armies for the difficulty levels.

Sadly, we also saw AIs attacking in a an erratic way some CSes when they should have crushed it easily. And some wonky DoWs. But i suppose this is all still being worked on

Still, even if military AI remains similar to CiV, i feel the challenge might be a bit harder for the simple fact that there doesnt seem to be any obvious early tech\civic path so far that will guarantee you catching up with AIs. Nothing outside of the map seems to be as huge as NC\UniV\Labs were in CiV.

So games might be a lot more different from each other than they were in CiV, shining more light on the player s decisions.

So yeah, wait and see. For now, i'd answer OP s question with a very cautious "nope" and anyway i'll do a first game in king\emperor because i want to be able to fool around and not have to overthink or dismiss some stuff when discovering the game for the first time