Do you throw in the towel?

sterben

Chieftain
So, I had a game going the other day where I was Huayna Capac (random leader)/Monarch. I started out next to Shaka so I took him out pretty early and made his capital my GP farm (it had 3 clams, some agri tile (wheat iirc) and a lake surrounded by forest grasslands (which got chopped for some wonders, great lib national epic and maybe something else), with a grassland hill or two. I found myself sandwiched between napoleon and zara, both of whom were hindu (my religion); zara's culture invasion was kept in check by the wonders in the gp farm so that wasn't so bad. Napoleon eventually changed religions and started getting all huffy with me, so I built up a pretty decent defense force in my gp farm (the nearest city and logical point of invasion for him) and started heading towards rifles so I could take him out. He eventually declared war, took out a unit I had on the border keeping an eye on him, and then the AP vote came up (I was leader) and the war was ended just as quickly hehe.

Anyway, eventually he attacked again, and while I had thought I had a pretty good defense force (I was making rifles and he had knights) and was keeping an eye on his buildup, he was still able to take my gp farm and wipe out a large portion of my military (he had something like 8 trebs, took all my city defenses down in one turn). For funsies, I reloaded and revolted to nationalism, drafted 3 rifles (all I had time for), went a few turns at 0% science and upgraded all the macemen I could to rifles, and sent troops down from another city, hit his stack next to the city with 4 trebs and 2 cats, and he still took it. Of course, the next turn the stop the war against Sterben vote came up again and I ended it, but at that point I was too sad to continue.

Obviously I didn't prepare enough and it cost me. However, at this point I have no ambition to finish the game. The GP farm was also my main science city and while I could maybe still pull off a victory, the loss of that city sort of takes the fun out of it. If it had been a random commerce city I wouldn't have minded as much, but this was one of my major cities :(

Anyone else ever feel this way, just quit a game when something like this happens?

Don't sit and wait for colleteral to beat you up... counter attack with surperior numbers...

Yeah, attack his stack. Get some horse units with flanking and see if you can't take out the seige.

The main reason People steamroll the AI is that the AI waits for you to root them out of their City.

Don't do that. It's better to fight small skirmishes to weaken the main force.

Horses and siege are offensive defense units. Possible target cities must always be strongly defended by counters to all units the possible offender might bring, along with horses and siege.

Re: Title
I never give up, always play until someone wins or I die.

Yea, I realize I messed up and should have gotten some knights up when I saw the number of siege he had before the invastion, but I guess I was just curious how many others just quit after a debacle like this...

I've been to a British boarding school, and the second most important things I learned there is that you don't throw the towel, you roll it up and spank them.

I've given up before in similar situations. I work my way through the stages of grief, then start again even more determined to kick AI butt.

In your situation, I probably would have given up. Even if you do manage to recapture your GP Farm, it will likely have taken so long that it will cripple your chances at a victory. However, by playing it all the way through, you can learn from your mistakes. For instance, if you had built walls and castles in your border cities it would have drastically increased the time it took him to lower your defenses, even with trebs.

Top Bottom