Do you turn your hamburgers upside down?

BvBPL

Pour Decision Maker
When consuming a delicious hamburger, do you ever turn it over, bun and all, either to rest it on a plate or to eat it (or both)? Why or why not?

To rest it on a plate, yes. It's easier to pick it up and rotate it to my mouth rather than holding my arms at awkward angles to hold it level.

You Americans with your delicious but enormous Burgers.
Our burgers can be eaten one handed, though the slow creep of US sized food and portions is happening here too. No need to turn over the burger, squish it up or do the hunch and unlocking of ones jaws.

Yeah I do it to rest it on my plate sometimes if it looks like it's going to sit better at that angle. Nothing worse than putting your burger down only to have the top half of it slide off.

I have never thought about this before. I don't...think so. At any rate, when I eat hamburgers I eat `em home-grilled, and with no bun.

Maybe that's not a hamburger, but just a steak of chuck.

Speaking of burgers.
The American invention of Sea, Air and Land burger by buying a Cheeseburger, a Fish burger and a Chicken burger then combining them all together into one burger. Is both Awesome and crazy.

Depends on the burger. Home grilled the meat tends to be thick and juicy, and the bun top contains the juice without disintegrating. Those get turned over usually.

Quite often. The juices and condiments can begin to soak through the lower portion of the bun. Moreover, that portion is often the smaller of the two, if only because of the convex pattern of rising during the baking process. In holding the hamburger, the fingers exert more pressure on the underside of the unit. This, in combination with that portion becoming moistened can mean that the bun begins to tear through during the process of consumption. Turning the unit over positions the often-larger, heretofore-dryer portion of the bun in the position that bears the greatest finger pressure and thereby increases the likelihood that the entire unit will remain intact while it is being eaten.

Edit: Cross post with tim, who made my point more succinctly.
(Of course, my aim was precisely to make my point elaborately rather than succinctly!)

Actually, you included the part about the fingers tearing through, which I was noting to myself as something that I should have included.

I cut it in half and then eat it with knife and fork.

Only wimpy hamburgers are compact enough to put into your mouth with your bare hands.

You just need a big mouth, and huge mitts.

:D

I eat burgers layer by layer. With Big Macs at least, I start with the top bun, then the first meat patty, then the middle bun, then the meat patty with melted cheese and lettuce, then the last bun. I follow a crude approximation with other kinds of burgers. I don't like mixing all the different components, and it is much cleaner too.

I rarely if ever intentionally invert a hamburger. As long as it can stay minimally intact right-side up, it stays that way.

I cut it in half and then eat it with knife and fork.

Only wimpy hamburgers are compact enough to put into your mouth with your bare hands.
It is consumption of hamburgers with a knife and fork which is wimpy. Cutting them in half is fine, but eating them with a knife and fork is sacrilege against the American Way, unless the hamburger has disintegrated thoroughly. Even then, fingers are better.

A true patriot is someone who takes their giant juicy hamburger and consumes it no matter the structual integrity. Grease and excess condiments may drip down onto the plate, your lap, or your hands and arms, but this is just a price we pay for freedom.

edit: Forgot you're from America Jr. Continue doing whatever wimpy thing you want with burgers as long the thick, sticky tar sands keep flowing. :p

I rarely if ever intentionally invert a hamburger. As long as it can stay minimally intact right-side up, it stays that way.

It is consumption of hamburgers with a knife and fork which is wimpy. Cutting them in half is fine, but eating them with a knife and fork is sacrilege against the American Way, unless the hamburger has disintegrated thoroughly. Even then, fingers are better.

A true patriot is someone who takes their giant juicy hamburger and consumes it no matter the structual integrity. Grease and excess condiments may drip down onto the plate, your lap, or your hands and arms, but this is just a price we pay for freedom.
Zelig is Canadian, and therefore not obliged to be concerned with American notions of patriotism. :p

Canadian or not, it is still wimpy, says this Australian. We raraly use a knife and fork at all, just our bare hands and what we want we just rip it off the animal and grill it to our liking.

If condense gathers between the burger and the plate, I'll try to rotate it to avoid the bun getting soaked. This usually only happens with microwaved leftovers though.

You people are seriously failing at bun sealing. Mayonnaise! It helps seal the bun from juice absorption. Plus, it tastes GREAT!

As to the original question, I will frequently lay it down on the plate upside down after I've already started eating it, assuming I don't finish it in one go, which admittedly is frequently the case. It just seems the natural way to put it down based on hand motion.

I often turn it upside down when I'm eatng a hamburger for better handling, but having it rest in the upside-down position? That's just weird!

Top Bottom