Do you use nukes much?

Do you use nukes?

• Rarely, if ever.

Votes: 54 60.0%
  • Sometimes, depends on situation.

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • "Nuclear Holocaust" is my middle name ;)

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

Artifex1

Warlord
What is your philosophy on using nukes in civ 5? Do you use them or not?

I don't war very often, and when I do it's early in the game. I usually build a couple of nukes then ban them in the UN. I don't want any foreign civs nuking me in my quest for a diplomatic or cultural victory!

I haven't played in the era of nukes much lately, but I usually only use them when I think it's necessary for something. Maybe if the enemy is really strong and has to be defeated, or if I think they're going to nuke me if I don't nuke them first. :nuke:

I like to build and ban. I never use em though. I just like the sudden improvement in attitude from those little kingdoms who have been talking smack for three hundred turns.

I barely fight long battles. I love trade and build peaceful empires. But, if my enemy deserve that I nuke him and not once but many times.

I usually use a mod that disables them. They feel like cheating imho and make later wars really boring.

I hope they do a better job at restricting orbital/suitcase-nukes in BE.

Lately I've been role playing as America & playing "Arsenal of Democracy" style so nukes are a pretty big no-no unless it's on strictly military targets. What I often do is to buy up all the uranium, buy all the City-States w/ uranium, build all the A-Bombs & ICBMs I can, & then ban em! So no one can use them on innocents

My Civ use of Nukes are much like my personal belief.I am a hawk in real life you take out the enemy and you do it however you need to including Nukes but you better have a good reason.I hate what it does to humans and I think the use of nukes are a weak way out of conventional war.So I very rarely use them even on Civ. I will use them if I am feeling like winging it a little and flexing my muscles for fun.

In GnK I sure did. It was really good for defence. But in BNW I get a little paranoid about world opinion, so I haven't quite used them yet. But I'm ready to try it on Deity, since the cash/hammers ratio is so good. And Deity tends to have more concentrations of units.

you need never option

I'll second this.

Nukes are a touchy subject for a lot of people, I know Civ5 is just a game, but I would never use a nuke. I managed to win a game in the past when fighting against Russia who were employing a scorched earth policy even on Moscow when I took it. I have learned from this and now know that taking on a nuke happy AI is a piece of cake as long as you are up with techs.

I nearly never had to use them. I use to win before or I have enough science to get Stealth bombers and X-Com. So building Manhattan or nukes is too long.

I think I used them once; in one of those GotM games. I don't often go for Domination Victory, and when I do I usually never think to build them. I already have my upgraded Artillery and Bombers, and my lingering infantry/ranged, and then there's that pesky Manhattan Project that I never feel like going out of my way to build.

I used one of them once in a multiplayer endgame battle in a desperate attempt to maybe keep my capital. Fired it on a battleship, and it wasn't even destroyed after that. Never used them again after that.

I like to build one or two defensive nukes at the least in my peaceful games. It usually makes the rest of the world afriad and buys me time to build my peaceful late game buildings like nuclear plants, hotels, etc. My goal is to use them only as a last resort to save an important city from a giant wall of incoming troops when I know I will lose the city otherwise.

If going for a domination victory, I usually use nuclear missiles to quickly finish off the last two or three capitals. Without them, wars can become soooo drawn out and exhausting as I slowly advance my invasion force from the other side of the world against hundreds of infantry and literally hours of bomber animations. Also at that point, I don't care about diplomacy because the entire world hates me beyond diplomatic repair anyways.

[...] Without them, wars can become soooo drawn out and exhausting as I slowly advance my invasion force from the other side of the world against hundreds of infantry and literally hours of bomber animations. Also at that point, I don't care about diplomacy because the entire world hates me beyond diplomatic repair anyways.

Too make things quicker, you could turn quick combat on. It also makes turn times of the AI much quicker. I really like the animations, but now play without them, since otherwise it really does take to long.

Top Bottom