Do you want any historical building made?

well I wasn't expecting you to make all my requests... :lol: Really anything you can help me out with is fine. "Even" the Temesvar/Timisoara cathedral would be useful.

There are problems with the Timisoara cathedral, since i cannot find any pic which shows the side of it (only some diagonal views are to be found) and also i am worried that the smaller windows will be lost in the resize anyway, so i may not do them in the model but use 2d work later on.

Perhaps you could use the serbian and orthodox cathedrals as well in your mod :)

Attachments

• timibk.PNG
    timibk.PNG
    106 KB · Views: 44
varwnos said:
Perhaps you could use the serbian and orthodox cathedrals as well in your mod :)

Definitely. My mod (which is about 1/3 of the way done) will have 27 European civs with heavily civ-specifically customized tech trees. Serbia is one of the Civs (alas the Serbian cathedral will come in very handy) and the Thessaloniki cathedral will be for the Greeks. So yeah, they will go in my mod!

Since you are Greek, here's my concept for the Greeks. The start out as a basically Mycenean/Homerian culture, then morph into the classic Greeks (Sparta/Athens/Thebes), then the Makedons/Hellenes and after that morph again into the East Roman Empire/Byzantines. At the end of the middle ages, there won't be any more civ-specific techs until the beginning of the industrial age, when Nationalism emerges and Greece morphs one last time into modern day Ellas. Now, I was thinking that the Golden Age should be the Byzantine Times, but arguably, the classic or the hellenistic period would also work. What's your take on this?

Did ever someone do Buckingham Palace or Houses of parliament (with BigBen)? I belive there could be some mods out there use them quite well...

The Big Ben was made a long time ago... it may have been by Ukas or Rufus T Firefly. Ya gotta search the forums...

varwnos said:
There are problems with the Timisoara cathedral, since i cannot find any pic which shows the side of it (only some diagonal views are to be found) and also i am worried that the smaller windows will be lost in the resize anyway, so i may not do them in the model but use 2d work later on.

hope these pics help to fill in the blanks about the sides. I know that these aren't any side views, but the "mc" pic is an 80% side view, blocked by trees. ;)

Are you gonna model the gorgeous brickwork, with the different colors? Man, this church is a beauty!

I already have these pics ;)

The problem is that that there is no pic of the side 100%, and from those i cannot understand how the side looks like, since it has four towers and some escalations of red roof. So i decided to not model everything.

I only have to add two more towers, and design the windows. Then it is off to 2d correction :)

About the texture: i will see, after i have completed the model ;)

Btw does this look enough like the original to you? (dont mind the windows, they will be done in the 2d correction phase)

edit: as for your mod question: either way makes sense i think, although the ancient age makes more sense, since most of the other civs were lagging behind, but i guess that can be said about the pre 1204 byzantine era as well. Possibly ancient.

Attachments

• romanianchurchbk.PNG
    romanianchurchbk.PNG
    129.6 KB · Views: 42
I must say, it looks very close to the original. VERY close. A couple of comments though:
(1) re: towers/spires. Aren't you missing two additional, larger towers on each side?
(2) re: roof coloring. I'm sure the dark blue is just a placeholder, as the original building has dark green roof tiles with other color accents?

Also, do you have this picture? It is a better view showing the S side elevation.

Ty Trai :D

Well, here is a first version of it.

It looks a bit cartoony compared to the Ravanica, but i think that it doesnt look bad.
Due to the model being quite large and tall, it was very difficult to present a lot of details, so a sketchy approach for the windows imo is better in this case, but i am still open to suggestions ;)

I'm experiencing the very same thing with the Taipei101 building. You can imagine with such a vertical building!
Maybe you should try bringing the shadow forward and boosting the darkness a little in the shadow settings box.

varwnos said:
Well, here is a first version of it.

'First version"? Pretty darn good if you ask me. Now just add the red brick in the walls and you're done. That'll also take care of the "cartoonishness", I think.

Not finished yet? Wow... Vaw...you are exceeding yourself! The preview is a serious piece of eye candy (and a terrific teaser, I might add!) ;)

Wow, it looks so real!

I personally like the roofs. I don't think you could make the roofs more detailed. It would look strange, because the roof has so little pixels and that lines/dots would be too thick. But I think the white/yellow things below 3 of the roofs are a little too bright. Also the entrance is a little too bright. Maybe the bricks are a bit too red, but it looks good this way too and it would be a lot of work to remake them. I think the crosses from the top of the church need to be that color, otherwise being unseenable.

The crosses in reality are dark, as in this :)

I will have to work on the entrance, which is one of the few parts of the model where 2d work has not yet reached

Attachments

• timisoarabk.PNG
    timisoarabk.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom