Do you want tech spillover

• Yes

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 25.6%

• Total voters

theis81

Warlord
Am I the only one finding it unrealistic that neighboring civs can be at two different development levels. I think there should be some kind of technology diffusion. Do you agree?

Ways to do it:
1) Give a research bonus when some else have a certain tech you are researching.
2) Give a few points in techs when someone else has it.

The bonus 1) or number of points 2) could be dependant on distance between each other, trade between each other, open borders, size of the empire with the tech etc.

Please vote and come with ideas for designing this.

I think a lot of people are going to think you are referring to beaker overflow with this poll, which just about everyone would say yes to. It is what I was expecting the poll to be about when I clicked on the thread.

An alternative name that would perhaps be a bit clearer is tech diffusion.

I think a lot of people are going to think you are referring to beaker overflow with this poll, which just about everyone would say yes to. It is what I was expecting the poll to be about when I clicked on the thread.

An alternative name that would perhaps be a bit clearer is tech diffusion.
hehe i did exactly that. So my yes vote should be a no vote after reading this thread mroe carefully. ;)

Am I the only one finding it unrealistic that neighboring civs can be at two different development levels. I think there should be some kind of technology spillover. Do you agree?

Ways to do it:
1) Give a research bonus when some else have a certain tech you are researching.

The bonus 1) or number of points 2) could be dependant on distance between each other, trade between each other, open borders, size of the empire with the tech etc.

Good idea

Agreed, the poll should read "diffusion" instead of "spillover". I misunderstood the question until I read the first post. Given that many people will probably answer the poll without even reading the first post (the question seems so clear that it might not seem necessary to read the OP), the poll will be extremely inaccurate otherwise.

I agree with this post. It's pretty standart in most World builders Strategy games with science tech trees that your science developement somewhat affects your neighbours and vice-versa. I don't see why Civ V did take a step back on this.

I'm glad they took out tech trading, but also agree that I'd like to see tech diffusion. Realistically (and balance-wise), it should be much easier to research Iron Working if everyone else in the world already knows about it.

I would like to see something like this. In my current Pangea game, I finally gave up holding off on some crappy sailing techs that I didn't need because one of my research agreements gave me them (a huge waste of a research agreement because they were so outdated that they would take like 4 turns to research, opposed to like 20 or so for everything else). After a certain point, there should be a bonus given to researching outdated techs or something like that.

On a side note, it also makes no sense that you can start up research agreements with backwards-as-hell nations, I liberated Germany back from the dead and they're barely in the Medieval era while I'm walking around with rifles and artillery and yet we can work together on research. Yeah.....makes a lot of sense

I definitely did not answer the intended question.

Personally, I wish tech's would go back to the early models where...

1) Tech costs were based on order reseacrhed rather than playbalance costing
2) Tech costs were unknown because the base value marked the start of the possibility to discover rather than the discovery itself

This is how the research agreements should work in my opinion, instead of a free random tech.

I voted yes because based on how the poll was wored I thought you meant beaker overflow. See PeaceofMind's post....

:(

Am I the only one finding it unrealistic that neighboring civs can be at two different development levels. I think there should be some kind of technology diffusion. Do you agree?

Ways to do it:

This would perhaps be a more realistic approach to take towards science, but it would run the risk of disincentivising research supremacy (it would effectively equate to giving bonuses for lagging behind). Of course, the obvious counter to that is that 'but you have big advantages if you have the tech lead', and yes, that is the case, but that doesn't mean that that incentive to stay out in front should be taken away from.

Now I had some funny feeling that something like 1 & 2 already existed to some small extent; possibly I'm imagining this. But making research cost partially dependent on what your neighbours have researched kinda circumvents the object of skill in the game. You shouldn't really be getting too many bonuses for things that you haven't done.

This tech diffusion is in the Total Realism Mod (and probably others) for cIV. It works quite well - and it only works when you have an Open Borders agreement with the Civ that already researched the stuff you want to research (but I'm sure other models could be found, too).
In my opinion/ experience, it is no disincentive to being the technical leader. I mean, on higher difficulties some wonders are really hard to get by if you're not the first one to discover the associated tech.

So, I think this is a good idea for ciV as well.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Civ4 have something like this? I'd heard that techs in Civ4 were cheaper if more civs had researched it previously.

Tech diffusion would be good. It ruins the game when you have mech. infantry and your enemies are still using riflemen. :eek:

I think they need to "unstreamline" the tech tree first --

I love tech diffusion in RoM/AND -- and I think it's a sound and good feature.... but you really need an expansive tech tree for it to be valuable.

I think the current tech tree is far too streamlined and choppy for a tech diffusion layer... but I do very much like the idea.

In my opinion, a tech advance should get cheaper for civs that haven't researched it with every civ that completes it that they are in contact with. However, in order to balance this, techs need some kind of "finder's bonus" in order to give incentive to be the first to research them

I vote yes too, and do not know how they think about that.

For example, I believe that if the Greeks were the sludge and those of the French (both with open borders) have the technology education but have agreed to search, you know, theology, math, finally, the Greeks opened the border should or could win research points to discover education.

Top Bottom