Do You Wear Designer Clothing?

Do You Wear Designer Clothing

• Total voters
What's considered "designer"? At any rate, I won't spend any more than $20 on an item of clothing. It's all the same as the expensive stuff.

I own one really really nice dress shirt that I perform in, cost about 46 bucks. I can notice a really big difference between that, and the other 10, 15 buck shirts that I own that are similar to it.

My most expensive piece of clothing are my black hightop chucky-ts, which were 50 bucks. Now I go to Ross to get my shoes, and they're about 15-20 bucks. With everything else, I won't pay more than thirty bucks.. Unless it is a very VERY nice shirt

And those jeans with the rips in them run past 40 dollars.

Throw me in with the Kohls crowd

After touring around various African markets, and seeing genuine Lacoste and Polo shirts selling for six bucks, I would say that the name on the lable is just there to create ridiculous mark ups on clothing to make people rich.

That is also illegal. In these cases, the factories produce more than they should and sell the remaining ones themselves. They obviously don't care about the creative effort that has gone into designing these clothes and therefore only factor in the bare production costs when setting the prices. If I can get my hands on these, I will. But going to Africa or China just to buy these clothes at low prices is going to be a lot more expensive than just buying some here.

Also, you can complain about how part of the money you pay goes into marketing and all that stuff that doesn't benefit you, but a lot of the things you buy are the same.

Merkinball said:
In appearance, what difference does the label on the tag make? How can one tell that my khaki's are $20 dollar sale khaki's, and not $80 khaki's from Hollister? They can't. And why would I want a girl to open her bedroom door for me because of my clothes? How stupid.

It's not just the difference in the label. Different labels cater to different sort of people. What do you look like? What is your body type? Who are you? What do you do? What do you like? What sort of men/women do you like? All these factor into the clothes you wear and help you express yourself better. Some clothes from Sears aren't going to help you do that very well. All they tell people is how lazy or how disinterested you are in relating yourself to others.

Anyway, people who express themselves better are more charismatic. And you could really be an interesting person, but how do people know that at first glance? It's not getting a girl to open her bedroom door just because of your clothes. It's because she can tell whether she'd like you or not.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on fashion, but I'm learning.

It's not just the difference in the label. Different labels cater to different sort of people. What do you look like? What is your body type? Who are you? What do you do? What do you like? What sort of men/women do you like? All these factor into the clothes you wear and help you express yourself better. Some clothes from Sears aren't going to help you do that very well. All they tell people is how lazy or how disinterested you are in relating yourself to others.

Anyway, people who express themselves better are more charismatic. And you could really be an interesting person, but how do people know that at first glance? It's not getting a girl to open her bedroom door just because of your clothes. It's because she can tell whether she'd like you or not.

All those clothes tell people is how lazy or how disinterested you are in relating yourself to others through your clothing. I don't really care to relate to someone who's going to judge what kind of person I am by how much I paid for my jeans.

I buy brandname jeans, because Old Navy is really easy when it comes to buying jeans. I'm in and out in five minutes there, and I like that when it comes to shopping.

Edit: though I own quite a bit of nice clothing. I look good when dressed up.

Honestly, I don't care at all who the designer of my clothing is. I think one of the greatest reasons the modern world is so sheep-like and consumerist is because of its bewildering preference of wearing an $80 shirt with a fashionable name tag to the identical $10 shirt at Walmart without the name tag.

Mmmh I think the world is sheep-like and consumerist because everybody buys $10 shirts at Wal-mart... Wal-mart sales figures are not even in the same league as those of famous designers.

But actually I'm a bit confused. What exactly are designer clothes? Would you say Levi's are designer clothes? Armani Exchange?

I shop in the high street, and I'd rather spend a little extra on something that actually FITS my particular body shape than go for cheap generic junk for a tenner.

Far from "designer" though...

All those clothes tell people is how lazy or how disinterested you are in relating yourself to others through your clothing. I don't really care to relate to someone who's going to judge what kind of person I am by how much I paid for my jeans.

QFT. If Gertrude Stein were here, she'd say this:

"A shirt is a shirt is a shirt is a shirt."

I think you're confusing how clothing looks with the brand name. I don't think the brand names matter that much. What is important is the looks. I mean, I guess you might be able to tell that somebody is a slob based on the way he dresses, but if he were dressed in name-brand clothing poorly, it's the same thing. He's still a slob. :p

I have some nice clothes, including, by chance, some designer clothes (it took me a year or two to realise that YSL actually meant something). Mostly I buy cheap clothes, for everyday use.
I do like my trousers to fit, however, so I have to pay a bit more for that.

I shop in the high street, and I'd rather spend a little extra on something that actually FITS my particular body shape than go for cheap generic junk for a tenner.

Far from "designer" though...

I agree with you. I'm willing to spend a bit more money to get something nice that suits me. I pay attention to what I'm wearing and I like looking good in my clothes.

I buy whatever looks good, which tends to be expensive brands, but I don't restrict myself to buying just them. In fact I recently bought a pair of shoes from a brand I've never heard of, and their the best shoes I've ever had (I probably sound like a woman now:rolleyes: ). I also got a nice suede jacket dirt cheap from TKMaxx, so you can get expensive brands cheap if you look hard enough, and are lucky.

That is also illegal. In these cases, the factories produce more than they should and sell the remaining ones themselves. - aelf

There's no textile factories where I come from. None. The Lacoste and Polo shirts in Djibouti come from the same place as America: China. It's just that in Djibouti, they are sold for what they are worth, a thousand francs, or six bucks. Sometimes ten bucks, but who cares right? They are EIGHTY dollars here in the states and in catalougues. There's nothing illegal about it if stupid people buy it.

They obviously don't care about the creative effort... - aelf

Oh yeah. That little alligator is so worth the $80 pricetag. What is creative about a Lacoste shirt? Lacoste shirts have gotta be the most uncomfortable clothing on the market, yet idiots buy it up for status. What creativity is there in putting a stupid embroidered horse on a shirt? Nothing. It's just a name.

But going to Africa or China just to buy these clothes at low prices is going to be a lot more expensive than just buying some here. - aelf

You've given me an idea. I can make $70 PER SHIRT. It costs $1200 to get to Djibouti from JFK if you play your cards right. How many shirts to need to bring back to pay for my airfare? Pick up an authentic antique Ethiopian bible and some authentic antique Ethiopian Orthodox religious art, and I could turn it into a business!

Different labels cater to different sort of people. What do you look like? What is your body type? Who are you? What do you do? What do you like? What sort of men/women do you like? All these factor into the clothes you wear - aelf

Yeah, maybe if you feel playing into stereotypes...

It's not getting a girl to open her bedroom door just because of your clothes. It's because she can tell whether she'd like you or not. - aelf

A girl who thinks she can read someone by their clothes is a dilluted, contrived individual who I'd never spend five minutes with.

i dont wear clothing

Top Bottom