Do your social policies reflect your personal beliefs?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Emperor Giulio, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Please stop the bickering about RL stuff, concentrate about the connection to the game.
    And please all, be a bit more friendly.

2. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

LOL! You can't classify a policy as "evil" or "good". Piety can be bad in the form of religious wars, but it also gives people comfort, community, and create moral codes. Rationalism is good because it strives to improve human conditions, to understand nature and how humans can control nature to better mankind. It can also be bad if science is used in warfare & it can leads to multiple ethical dilemmas.

In short, people only complain that Piety is BAD and Rationalism is GOOD because they look at the past so critically, but not at the future so much. You people ever think that science in some way is a religion?!? (except it is more critical because of the scientific theory)

3. KeyCey1995

KeyCey1995 Chieftain

:agree:

A bright head...!:D

4. starrywisdom

starrywisdom Warlord

Trying to compare science with religion is a very tired and tried question/comparison - one of which leads nowhere. You can attempt to rationalize religion as good as it can bring peace and comfort - but so can some illegal narcotics, and many 'evil' things. Religion may offer piece and comfort but it comes at a high cost. Although this discussion is a little off-topic. If you would like to create another thread in the appropriate forum - please do so :)

5. KeyCey1995

KeyCey1995 Chieftain

Then it won't be at this site...
    There's not really any off-topic category in here.

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: This is the off-topic forum. Please feel very free to use it. But no more off-topic discussions here please.

7. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

Seconded.

8. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

Just for the record, I was only kidding when I said autocracy was "evil", I don't actually believe in good or evil.

9. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

ANYWAY...

The policy branches I chose sort of reflect my views - I always go Rationalism, Freedom, Liberty - but not all of my decisions are based on that. I often go Commerce because I love being called a Doge. But anyway, other than that, I live in New Zealand, and never more than a stone's throw away from a beach. So in the game, most of my empires, unless forced otherwise, are mass costal stretches.

10. TImithius

TImithius Chieftain

I tend to create a sort of moneygrubbing, production spamming bureucratic republic. So I usually take Tradition, Liberty, Commerce, Order, and Rationalism. Although I hate the concept of communism and know its many flaws I love to adopt in this game. Order usually solves all my problems in the end of the game

11. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

I always laugh when I get that 'science is a religion' rubbish.

Anyway, to keep on subject, and to summarise what I've said in this thread, I think that you are only restricting your own enjoyment by rejecting certain playstyles due to your beliefs. Being an evil dictator can be fun in civ, it has no bearing on reality.

12. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

I agree with that, like I said, i've used piety, and I don't believe in it. For autocracy, I certainly would never want to live in one, but I can play the role of evil dictator in civ for enjoyment because I know its not hurting anyone.

If you haven't already, check out this site: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

It helps to determine positions on the left and right political specturm, in regards to economic, and social questions.

I'm slightly left of center

13. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Dude, that's a tiny bit ... analretentive ...

14. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

That was actually a simplified history of the U.S. from the founding, to the gilded age, and into the new deal era told in somewhat civ terms.

It's not that it's anal-retentive, those are some broad issues political leaders deal with. A lot of those concepts I spoke of are actually old concepts from previous games that were removed to make civ more streamlined for a broader audience. There's a lot of people out there that want Civ to revert back into a more complex game.

15. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

an additional penalty to industrial capitalism would be an occasional halt to production in some cities, and an uprising similar to what happens in civ 5 if happiness is on red too long. A real-life example would have been the Railroad strikes of 1877, were federal troops were called to suppress the strikers.

Also an occasional depression, capitalism is a volatile system of booms and busts.

sorry... I was brainstorming :D

16. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

How about a special event where your nation default on debts and everyone dies...

17. strhopper

strhopper Okie

Took your test, put me center/right libertarian. Which I knew I was. Thanks for the fun little test. Questions though did seem a little slanted to the left but fun none the less

18. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

Your welcome, and yea I noticed the slant too.

I basically said no to all the religious/social conservative stuff, and yes to capitalism with some regulation.

19. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

lmao!

20. JWAT44

JWAT44 Prince

look at this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10728501#post10728501 its my idea on a more complex economic system for a future game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.