1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DoC has moved from SVN to Git

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I am here today to announce that the 1000th revision of DoC will be the last ...

... since the code base will relocate to GitHub instead (which doesn't use revision numbers).

What do these words mean?
    DoC has used version control software for a long time to allow me to manage my changes remotely between different devices, and to allow players access to the current development version. Until now, SVN has been the underlying software behing this mechanism to the point where the name was basically synonymous with version control itself. SVN was pretty much the state of the art when DoC adopted it, but by now Git has largely replaced it. Git has several advantages over SVN, which I will explain later as far as they apply here.

How does that affect how I can access the development version?
    First of all, the repository has moved to a new online location: https://github.com/dguenms/Dawn-of-Civilization

Unfortunately, to access this repository you will also need a new windows client. TortoiseSVN, the recommended tool for accessing the SVN repo can technically access Git repos, but the resulting folder will not have the format required by BtS to actually run the mod (because TortoiseSVN can only check out all existing branches of the repository at the same time, creating multiple subfolders in the local repository).

Fortunately, there is the Git counterpart TortoiseGit. To install it on Windows, you first need to install Git itself using Git for Windows. Next, install TortoiseGit. Both installations will prompt with numerous settings. The defaults here are intended for unexperienced units and will have minimal impact on your system, so I recommend not to make any changes and accept them as they are.

Git uses different verbs to describe actions than SVN. While they are not completely equivalent "under the hood", for the player it is sufficient to know that:
    * svn checkout = git clone (creates a new local repository by downloading from the remote URL)
    * svn commit = git push (what I do to upload my changes to the remote repo)
    * svn update = git pull (what you do to get my latest updates)

Besides the new verbs, everything works like before. To create a new local repo for the first time, right click in the Mods folder, select "git clone" and paste in the above URL where required. A new folder with the name "Dawn-of-Civilization" will be created, which you need to rename to "RFC Dawn of Civilization" as usual.

To get new updates, you can right click the RFC Dawn of Civilization folder and select "git pull". This command is not in the top level of the context menu by default in TortoiseGit, this place is taken up instead by "Git Sync...". This command has a lot of extra functionality that you don't need, and to avoid mistakes and extra clicks I would recomment to use pull directly. You can move "git pull" into the top level of the context menu in the settings -> context menu configuration.

This only sounds like a lot because I like to hear myself talk.

TLDR: checkout becomes clone, update becomes pull, don't worry about the rest.

Why the change?
    As I mentioned above, Git is the standard in software development right now. In fact, DoC was the only project I was still using SVN for. Here are a couple of advantages I get from using Git:

1. Integration on github.com: Git and github are very closely integrated, with the website providing a lot of functionality to manage the repo. Assembla has improved over time, but github is still better by far. I think this is also a benefit for players, just follow the link and take a look.

2. Additional github features: Github also offers additional features that might be useful for the mod, for instance:
    * wiki pages
    * option to download the current repository state as an archive
    * code and history browsing
    * ways to collaborate and contribute, more on that later

3. Branches
    I've already mentioned branches, which basically means different states of the repository that can exist in parallel. The main branch I'm working on is called "develop" by convention. This feature allows me to work on multiple features at the same time without them getting in the way of each other. It also allows me to work on bugfixes when I'm in the middle of a larger feature, so no longer will I be able to use the "will look at it when I can revert my working copy" excuse.

4. Two-step commit process
    In SVN, I could either commit my changes to the remote repo or keep them local. With larger features, this is messy and potentially dangerous (what if changes are accidentally deleted). On the other hand, commits require complete and crash/bug free features as well as an internet connection, which I don't always have. In Git, I can make commits but an extra push command is required to release the changes to the remote repo and the rest of the world.

5. Additional repos
    While this also would have been possible on assembla, github makes it a lot easier to create repos for the additional modules (VD, soundtracks ...). Unlike the main mod, these repos also don't require recompiling the art into FPKs, so downloading the repo always provides an up to date version of these modules.

6. Labeled commits
    Github supports a tagging features which would allow me to label commits that break savegame compability, or comprise a new release.

If we can download an archive on the website, why install the Git client?
    You'd have to redownload the entire archive for every change I make. The client only downloads changed files as you are used to from Git.

Why now?
    Around release is the best time to make that kind of change, which I had already planned for a while.

How does Git allow the community to contribute?
    Git has another feature called fork. If you have a github account, you can use it to create a copy of the current state of the remote repository that you have complete control over. This should make it a lot easier to develop modmods that are based on DoC. You can always do a pull from the main mod into your mod to bring it up to date with the main mod.

This feature can also be used to help working on or suggest changes to the main mod itself, that goes beyond just making suggestions or posting files on the forum. For instance, if you see an error in the city name manager, instead of only reporting it to me (which might leave the problem at the bottom of my priority list for a long while), you can fix this in your own fork and then create a pull request for the main mod. This basically means that I receive a notification about the changes you have made, and only need to press a button to integrate them into the mod. I could see that feature to be very useful to help people contribute in areas like city names, dynamic civ names, text corrections or the civilopedia. If anyone is interested, I will follow up with an explanation on how to do this.

Github also has an issues option. You can use it to report bugs there, which should be more organized than using the bug reports thread only (although I would appreciate reports there as well to be able to ask for a save and the like).

Any further questions? The main info thread will soon be updated.

2. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

It seems this makes things a lot easier for me. Although it will take some time to get used to it.

3. char81

char81 Chieftain

Github is pretty good, I've used it for class and it's very easy to use and it's much easier to access the information you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

If Git does not use commit number how are we are going to refer to the particular commit? By the date?

5. sercer88

sercer88 Chieftain

Ugh. I must be old. I barely understood any of this.

I didn't use SVN and I won't use Git ... only updating to the full releases you post on the latest version thread. Sure, I don't get to have the absolute-up-to-date version, but it's less of a hassle.

Just giving you one man's reaction to this news, not trying to rain on anyone's parade :p

6. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Your loss. :p

Really, everything is actually a lot simpler than it seems. Almost no thought involved, if you just want the latest version.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's okay. Actually this change can make things easier for you too, because you can always use the download button without me preparing a separate RAR file.

Git uses an alphanumeric hash to identify commits, they just aren't sequential anymore.

8. Shadow Warlord

Shadow Warlord Chieftain

So before we install Git, do we need to uninstall Tortoise SVN? Do we need to worry about the two conflicting with each other?

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No, if you don't mind the cluttered context menu, they can coexist without problems.

10. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I managed to get create a fork. I created a test pull request to see if it works. (It incorporates the suggestion made by tigranes, but I didn't test it by building the DLL.)

If you make a commit, will my fork update with your changes if I do a pull?

My username on git is MeuhV1 instead of merijn_v1.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It worked, thanks for giving it a try. In general I will reply to pull requests in the github comment section. For now, all PRs will have to wait until release before I incorporate them.

Your fork will not automatically update when I make a commit, so you would have to trigger the update automatically. Not sure how to do that actually, but it probably involves merging the develop branch of my repo into your fork.

For the pull request itself, that is not immediately relevant. As long as the involved files can still be merged it will remain compatible. Otherwise I have to manually merge the file, or ask you to merge the current state of develop into your fork again.

12. ales_

ales_ Heir

I get the following message:
    Code:
    git.exe clone --progress -v "https://github.com/dguenms/Dawn-of-Civilization" "C:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dawn-of-Civilization"

Cloning into 'C:\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dawn-of-Civilization'...
    POST git-upload-pack (200 bytes)
    remote: Counting objects: 23332, done.
    fatal: early EOF
    fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
    fatal: index-pack failed
    error: RPC failed; result=56, HTTP code = 200

git did not exit cleanly (exit code 128) (1485969 ms @ 11/11/2015 00:01:38)

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Looks like your internet connection timed out.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

By the way, if you don't like TortoiseGit, you can also use Github for Desktop. In case you prefer a nice and clean GUI over simple Explorer integration.

15. ales_

ales_ Heir

Thank you, it's working now. How can one update to an older revision?

16. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Why that name.

17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Depends on the client you use I think. In general, commits now have alphanumeric hashes instead of revision numbers, so you have to specify those to go to a specific commit. I will try in the clients later.

Never asked myself that question:

18. ales_

ales_ Heir

I'm using TortoiseGit and I don't see the option anywhere.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Had to look for a bit myself. It's the switch/checkout option. You can use the "..." button in the "Commit" row to browse previous commits as in TortoiseSVN.

20. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Gah, that was rhetorical. I didn't really want to know.

I suppose it's time I abandoned my whole 'stick furiously to official versions' rule, if only to help the mod develop.