Doctor who helped locate Osama given 33 years jail term

I suggest if they keep him prisoner, put the next spy of theirs we catch to death. (Then again, I'd support doing this anyway:p)
So you don't actually care about this person whom you could save from the sentence by releasing the spy who you would so gleefully put to death?

If they weren't, why did they take issue with what we did?

It defies logic.
You are aware of a concept called national sovereignty?

It is insulting to the word justification to argue with might. The honest thing to do would be to say, that one does not care about a justification.
I would even say that assaulting bin Laden's hideout was still the right course of action.

But there seem to be some people who simply can't put up with the thought that something that is necessary is not at the same time morally right.

Let's say America did the right thing and told the Pakistanis about the whereabouts of Bin Laden, what do you think they would have done?
They would have immediately surrounded the house and arrested him? And they would have likely done so without killing all the males and shooting one female, just like civilized human beings do in any other police operation in similar situations?

Ironically, they would have also probably done exactly the same thing months before the US finally got around to completely screwing up the operation with a near loss of life to everybody aboard one helicopter, a time period where bin Laden could very well have escaped someplace else. They should have contacted the Pakistani government the moment they suspected bin Laden was there and responded immediately. Doing anything else was sheer incompetence and paranoia on their part.

They would have immediately surrounded the house and arrested him? And they would have likely done so without killing all the males and shooting one female, just like civilized human beings do in any other police operation in similar situations?

Ironically, they would have also probably done exactly the same thing months before the US finally got around to completely screwing up the operation with a near loss of life to everybody aboard one helicopter, a time period where bin Laden could very well have escaped someplace else. They should have contacted the Pakistani government the moment they suspected bin Laden was there and responded immediately. Doing anything else was sheer incompetence and paranoia on their part.

You really think that they would arrest bin laden? After all he was found in an area that was basically close to Pakistani intelligence and by all cases were complaisant in his whereabouts, since it is like having a wanted terrorist just miles away from West Point. I just don't see Pakistan doing that and he would not have been captured and we still would be looking for him.

So you again have no proof whatsoever that Pakistan was complicit in hiding bin Laden from the obvious incompetence of the US government, which spent untold hundreds of billions of dollars but failed to follow a known courier for years? A government which was so obviously incompetent that they failed to take immediate action so he wouldn't again disappear?

I really don't understand why some people continue to blame Pakistan for the obvious blunders of the US government, which date back even before 9/11.

The only real answer that seems to make any sense why the US government didn't want to involve Pakistan appears to be that the US government decided to assassinate bin Laden and all the males present. They couldn't very well do that with so many witnesses present. But the cost of doing so is that they have now lost all credibility with any similar government aiding them in the future. No government is going to be willing to work with a country that deliberately makes them look like terrorists themselves.

And that was no "West Point". It was more like a Citadel. Do you really think that would make any difference to a wanted suspect hiding in the US, even if it was the former?

How exactly was bin Laden going to escape given that he was already surrounded by operatives, and he would have been surrounded by far more if the US had decided to involve the Pakistanis?

The fact that it obviously cannot be shown that the Pakistani government is controlled by a few people in the ISI is what is actually "troubling" to me, and what is so insulting to what used to be a loyal ally of the US.

That is like saying the US government can never be trusted again because the Bush administration found a few intelligence analysts willing to lie about Iraq.

Let's say America did the right thing and told the Pakistanis about the whereabouts of Bin Laden, what do you think they would have done?

Absolutely nothing;)

So you don't actually care about this person whom you could save from the sentence by releasing the spy who you would so gleefully put to death?

I thought I implied if they WOULDN'T release our spy.

You are aware of a concept called national sovereignty?

I don't really agree with it anymore than I agree with state or local district autonomy. In any case, I think we had the power to take Bin Laden out, we did, and Pakistan should deal with it.

I don't really agree with it anymore than I agree with state or local district autonomy. In any case, I think we had the power to take Bin Laden out, we did, and Pakistan should deal with it.

And here I thought you were for states' rights.

How did you suppose that?

What else would they have done? Killed all the US operatives already surrounding the house, not to mention the hundreds of others and even likely the press which would have been in place when the operation started? Don't you think someone would have actually noticed instead of merely speculated with no actual facts?

What else would they have done? Killed all the US operatives already surrounding the house, not to mention the hundreds of others and even likely the press which would have been in place when the operation started? Don't you think someone would have actually noticed instead of merely speculated with no actual facts?
What are you talking about?
I was asking for you to clarify your theory that alleged that Pakistan would have peacefully arrested Osama in a, quote, "civilized" way. Like maybe provide some evidence for that. I mean, I can give lots of evidence that says they probably would have busted down the door and slaughtered people just like the Americans did.

That is a weird statement. Everything is necessary for something.
... doesn't that make it an evident statement? :confused:

Who says we wanted to arrest him "Peacefully"? I don't see why we should have. I see no good reason, in this particular case, not to shoot to kill. It would have been akin to Adolf Hitler. He was obviously guilty, so why waste time on a trial?

Obviously, if you don't apply this VERY narrowly, it could easily become a slippery slope...

What are you talking about?
I was asking for you to clarify your theory that alleged that Pakistan would have peacefully arrested Osama in a, quote, "civilized" way. Like maybe provide some evidence for that. I mean, I can give lots of evidence that says they probably would have busted down the door and slaughtered people just like the Americans did.
Ah, so you want me to provide the evidence that I'm not the one wildly speculating in this thread. That wasn't clear at all from your previous question.

Millions of people are arrested every single year without everybody being "slaughtered". Do you really want me to provide numerous examples of the obvious?

Even in this particular case, numerous women and children present were not shot except for one, while every single adult male was killed.

And out of curiosity, why aren't you demanding similar proof from the others in this thread?

Who says we wanted to arrest him "Peacefully"? I don't see why we should have. I see no good reason, in this particular case, not to shoot to kill. It would have been akin to Adolf Hitler. He was obviously guilty, so why waste time on a trial?

Obviously, if you don't apply this VERY narrowly, it could easily become a slippery slope...
For someone who is so in love with the constitution all the time you don't seem to have that much of a problem with breaking it when convenient.

Top Bottom