Does “woke” have a meaningful impact on your life?

Well, we’re waiting…!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wokeism bothers me because I normally see it used as a bludgeon by ardent overzealous authoritarian left wing keyboard warriors (aka *SJWs, Tumblrinas, etc). Saying that I’m evil and a problematic oppressor just because I’m a white straight male.

The last time I’ve seen moral overzealous busybodies we’re from the right Christian fundamentalists during the saitanic panic of the 80s and 90s claiming video games are the tools of the Devil. Now I see it coming from the left (largely from what most term as wokesters/*SJWs/Tumblrinas) decrying video games as problematic as illustrated in the comic below:

Presently, I only denounce woke/wokery/wokeism/wokeness in the context of people displaying a cultisth behavior that advocates for social vengeance at the expense of straight white males and anyone that doesn’t kowtow to the ideology. I view SVWs doing more harm and hampering the efforts of people who are reasonable and civil, advocating for equal treatment for our fellow people and that SVWs are a boon to the right (as illustrated on YouTube with SJW Cringe Compilation #1433 or Ben Shapiro OWNS SJW with FACTS and LOGIC!).

*To be Frank. The overzealous Social Justice Warriors/SJWs, should really be called Social Vengeance Warriors.

Uh huh

I find myself unfairly characterised (as something like an "SJW", for example) for simply existing
Apropos of nothing really, but I take an SJW label as an inaccurate complement. I kind of wish I had the courage and physical ability to be a warrior, and if I was to go to war there are few things more noble to go to war over than social justice (considering the number of people who have gone to their deaths for "King and Country", now that would be an insult).

Apropos of nothing really, but I take an SJW label as an inaccurate complement. I kind of wish I had the courage and physical ability to be a warrior, and if I was to go to war there are few things more noble to go to war over than social justice (considering the number of people who have gone to their deaths for "King and Country", now that would be an insult).
Oh, it's absolutely been co-opted in a positive way, like much of the slang that's come out of the whole "culture war" mess. But I think that's because "social justice" originally had positive connotations, and with that I'm looping back into the other thread (Angst's thread), so that's a tangent for another time :D

In my experience (as a straight white male) this is a right-wing stereotype of more nuanced criticism. It's hard to take seriously from the offset (as someone who's been on Twitter for a depressing number of years), because in the few cases it can be evidenced (in my anecdotal experience, vs. yours) a) it's often the result of an interaction, i.e. the person being called it would've said some stuff first, and b) it's nearly always actually something else that's being said.

So, assuming good faith and your written experience, I have to ask: to what extent is your anecdotal experience reflective of reality as a whole, do you think? For example, my experience is just as anecdotal, but I exist in that space. "SJWs" or whatever other cute names you want to assign them. So arguably if I was an evil and problematic oppressor just because I'm straight, white and a cis male . . . why would I be tolerated? And why has nobody told me that?

tl;dr: "woke" doesn't have a meaningful impact on my life outside of the Internet, but given my politics and left-leaning position on subjects I find myself unfairly characterised (as something like an "SJW", for example) for simply existing. Which is a very minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things considering the very real impact on marginalised demographics who often find themselves the actual target of this modern backlash against anything remotely progressive.

Its annoying when complaining about racism or sexism or homophobia on Twitter is treated as more serious than the right actually banning books in schools across the US.

The last time I’ve seen moral overzealous busybodies we’re from the right Christian fundamentalists during the saitanic panic of the 80s and 90s claiming video games are the tools of the Devil.
I agree. I’m going to tag @Samson too because I can address two points with one stone: I don’t see this as being anything bigger to me than Tipper Gore complaining about heavy metal music. Was that so important I had to be on high PC alert? Nah.

I just avoid the whole thing. Life’s a lot easier that way!

Wokeism bothers me because I normally see it used as a bludgeon by ardent overzealous authoritarian left wing keyboard warriors (aka *SJWs, Tumblrinas, etc). Saying that I’m evil and a problematic oppressor just because I’m a white straight male.

The last time I’ve seen moral overzealous busybodies we’re from the right Christian fundamentalists during the saitanic panic of the 80s and 90s claiming video games are the tools of the Devil. Now I see it coming from the left (largely from what most term as wokesters/*SJWs/Tumblrinas) decrying video games as problematic as illustrated in the comic below:

Presently, I only denounce woke/wokery/wokeism/wokeness in the context of people displaying a cultisth behavior that advocates for social vengeance at the expense of straight white males and anyone that doesn’t kowtow to the ideology. I view SVWs doing more harm and hampering the efforts of people who are reasonable and civil, advocating for equal treatment for our fellow people and that SVWs are a boon to the right (as illustrated on YouTube with SJW Cringe Compilation #1433 or Ben Shapiro OWNS SJW with FACTS and LOGIC!).

*To be Frank. The overzealous Social Justice Warriors/SJWs, should really be called Social Vengeance Warriors.

What are you talking about dude? The new Satanic Panic is literally identical to the previous Satanic Panic, which is, to paint queer people as part of a (((conspiracy))) to steal and ritually abuse white children. Right now Ohio and Missouri are debating passing laws to prohibit the prescription of life saving hormones to anybody under the age of 25. As reasoning for this they are bringing on quack doctors and estranged parents of trans kids to declare that their children are being tricked and stolen from them by trans adults. Fox News is running stories outright stating that the Trevor Project, a nonprofit which helps closeted queer children who fear abuse from bigoted family or neighbors is itself a sex trafficking ring that exists to discretely lure away impressionable children from their parents. Texas and Florida sought to prohibit mention of even the existence of lgbtq+ people on the basis that queer folk are child groomers who should not be allowed near students.

In the Buffalo shooter's manifesto, he described trans people as being part of a Jewish conspiracy to steal away children and thus harm white birth rates. The term “LGB” - a common GC and Terf phrase - litters his discord logs and he spoke admiringly of the GC movement as fellow travelers. At this moment [Vier]chan is trying to pin the Uvalde shooting on a trans woman. That is - they found a random trans woman’s picture on the internet and are posting it around Reddit and Twitter claiming she’s the shooter. She doesn’t even live in Texas! Just this morning it was reposted by US congressmen on twitter.

I’m sorry that you feel you are being unfairly maligned online. But being ridiculed on twitter is not the same thing as facing oppression under a reactionary backlash.

Last edited:
What really gets me is that, even if you were somehow to consider the actions of "SJW keyboard warriors" to be on the same level as the actions of reactionaries that schlaufuchs points out, the former are some people on twitter while the latter are in control of governments.

In general, as both part of the lion's den of leftist creatives, while having quite right if not hardline right acquaintances, whether "woke" affects me... The poll question is hard to answer.

- "Woke" affects me mostly as to how it's weaponized by segments of the right as a catch-all demonization of the vague left. So it affects me.
- Within leftist circles, it's barely used and doesn't actually mean anything specifically. As it's mostly an exonym and doesn't describe left practices well, ie doesn't actually exist. Does not affect me in this regard, then.
- So the problem is kinda baked into the thread question. Woke is mostly an external construct of the right. It's not actually a thing but is still weaponized to affect me regardless. Does "woke" have a meaningful impact on my life? Yes, because the word exists, and no, because it's not a thing that's practiced in any reasonable manner as the word is used.

I know this thread is probably inspired by my other thread, and I should refer to the OP there and following comments for more indepth description of the problem.

I suppose it does, since it’s more or less my politics and my politics occupies a large chunk of my waking thoughts.

Top Bottom