1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Agares really care anymore?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Onionsoilder, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

From reading the lore, it seems that back during the Godswar, Agares was actively trying to pull the gods into the war, fighting to corrupt the world. Some of the more recent stuff I've seen seems to imply that he's become so overrun with his own despair that he doesn't even really care about what happens to the world anymore; he would rather sit and weep. Is this true? Is there any chance of him turning back into his old self?

2. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

From what I gather, he mostly doesn't care. You have Bhall (fallen Goddess of fire, and more importantly, passion), Hyborem (influenced mostly by Bhall's presence), and Ceridwen (she of the inscrutable purposes) to thank for his activities on Erebus. He's petty enough to derive great pleasure from death, destruction, and suffering, but if it weren't for the other gods, he wouldn't care enough to do anything more than enjoy that naturally created by Erebus.
    MC reckons that Agares could be redeemed, while I'm a bit more cynical. It's not likely to happen while Ceridwen's around, though. She wants the world to go boom, for whatever strange reason, and has Agares convinced he wants the same thing.
    EDIT: Anyways, what does Agares really want? If I had to guess, I'd say he wants to go back to the time before his fall. But again, between Ceridwen's manipulations and his own stubborn pride, he'd never admit that to himself, and certainly not to any other entity. So he does the next best thing, which is seek to destroy everything in what is essentially a large-scale temper tantrum. Maybe Ceridwen's plan involves scrambling out of Creation when it all goes down the hole and remaking it in her image afterwards, something to that tune, but I'm pretty sure Agares' ultimate goal is the same as Os-Gabella's: his own annihilation. He's just too proud to leave anything behind.

3. loocas

loocas Chieftain

Bhall's fall was pretty recent, from the point of view of the beginning of the Age of Rebirth being the present. Mulcarn's rise could have been an unintended and unpleasant consequence for Agares, so he didn't hinder Sucellus or Kylorin, and wasn't about to help the good guys. In Rebirth he's cranking out his demons, and has the AV doing his work for him on the human level. The world's in a pretty messy state, so there's no highest power like The One or Bhall to subvert. I think things are just the way he wants them.

4. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

So Agares isn't exactly depressed or anything, but he just doesn't have the motivation to actively destroy the world? Hmm... Well, I suppose that's better than sitting in Hell feeling sorry for yourself when you caused everything.

5. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

My take would be that as the former angel of hope, the more the world goes to hell in a handbasket, the more people are forced to hope to better times and the more worship, albeit in a perverted manner, for Agares.

6. Kael

Kael Chieftain

The angel in this story is Agares. And though you are tight to say that he is trying to pull all of the gods into the godswar, it's important to note his motivation for it:

Agares is not your cackling maniacal typical bad guy. He isn't a superhero villian intent on conquering the world. He is an ideological contrast to the One. Where the One is about supplication, hierarchy and purpose, Agares is about freedom. He believes that Erebus is little more than a jail that the One has imprisoned them in, and Agares see's himself as the leader of the rebellion.

Agares doesn't understand why the good and neutral gods continue to serve someone who has imprisoned them. And hes really mad that all the gods continue to use the things Agares stole from heaven, even though they curse Agares for stealing them in the first place.

Agares does tend to be more passive than most of the other evil gods. But its only because his true goal isn't really conquest, but conversion. When/if the One comes back he wants all the gods to be arrayed against the One. If he has to he will kill the other gods to allow his plans to happen, but he would prefer to have them turn to him as Bhall has. (Sirona believes the same but int he oppostie direction, she wants to redeem all the corrupt).

So if he seems passive, it is only because he is plotting. He is still active, even before Bhall's fall its worth noting that he did do enough to cause Bhall's fall, which is no minor feat. The demons have definitely been effected by the proximity of Bhall, but Agares isn't changed.

With all that being said keep in mind that Agares's plan is pretty fatalistic in nature. He has no reason to believe that he can defeat the One even if he gathers all the angels against him. He has confronted the One before and that encounter was as brief as it was lopsided. So with little reason to believe he can achieve anything he still presses on to corrupt Erebus. He either wants to prove the One wrong, make sure that he isn't the only one to suffer, or simply to ruin everything he can in anger.