Does AIs get a free scout at the start of the game on king difficulty and higher?

I believe so, I ran into my neighbors scout on turn 3 when I tried playing on king (right as he took a ruin from in front of me).

I'm okay with giving the AI a handicap but granting them starting units just creates a reverse difficulty curve that isn't fun to deal with.

I always go into the CBO difficulty folder and edit the difficulty file. Can't remember the exact name but there's a setting called AIFreeExplorerUnits for each difficulty. Set it to zero

I always go into the CBO difficulty folder and edit the difficulty file. Can't remember the exact name but there's a setting called AIFreeExplorerUnits for each difficulty. Set it to zero
Could you please give a quick guide on how to edit the difficulty? I want to try playing on a higher difficulty but I'd rather not outright let the AI start with an unfair advantage over me.

Go to the CBO in your mods folder, balance changes/difficulty. Edit the xml to whatever you like. Use notepad++ or something similar if it all seems messy.

Those units are great for the AIs start, so I recommend keeping them. Without them you do have a small outright advantage since it's easier to get into some good old exploitation. I do find it a bit annoying as well though, so I increase the starting view distance in really advanced setup instead.

Go to the CBO in your mods folder, balance changes/difficulty. Edit the xml to whatever you like. Use notepad++ or something similar if it all seems messy.

Those units are great for the AIs start, so I recommend keeping them. Without them you do have a small outright advantage since it's easier to get into some good old exploitation. I do find it a bit annoying as well though, so I increase the starting view distance in really advanced setup instead.
Not a bad idea, and I see your point.

The AI gets a free scout from king+, a worker on emporer+

If it's easier for you, I'd just use Really Advanced Setup to remove their free scouts

Main thing I have to raise the question on is does the AI really need the extra units on higher difficulties? They already get a cost reduction on buildings, units, technologies, and social policies. Most of the early game is a race to build and establish yourself. Imagine if the AI got a free monument/shrine in their first city. It's about the same result.

I'd rather not outright let the AI start with an unfair advantage over me.

On the other hand you start with the HI (= human intelligence), which is such an unfair advantage over the AI that I'd call it cheating :)

I think the scout from the start is fine. It helps the AI to kick start their empire, focus on the capital development and you are still able to grab a few ruins for yourself.

I also remove the AI's free scout. I feel the AI already does really well in the early game, they build faster and they expand faster so i prefer removing the scout but play at a higher difficulty because that improves their late game which is where they tend to struggle.

I also remove the AI's free scout. I feel the AI already does really well in the early game, they build faster and they expand faster so i prefer removing the scout but play at a higher difficulty because that improves their late game which is where they tend to struggle.
This is my sentiment exactly. I'm fine with how the AI performs in the early game. What I want is a way to have the AI perform better in the late game.

Is there a way I could mod it so the AI's difficulty increases with world era or some such? I think that would solve my issues with the game being to easy late game but too frustrating early game.

I'd like to know how many ruins the ai gets though. It doesn't seem like they get as many as I do. To me, it doesn't matter that much. The worker kinda sucks, but whatever.

The reason why the AI is bad late game is probably due to the fact that it has too many things to think about. Early game is my favorite part, anyway.

Is there a way I could mod it so the AI's difficulty increases with world era or some such? I think that would solve my issues with the game being to easy late game but too frustrating early game.

There's some options you can fiddle with in the file DifficultyMod.xml but i think that's it.

Top Bottom