Does anyone actually use the adjacency-bonus policies?

The IZ adjacency card can be good as Germany, as they can get pretty high adjacency bonuses with CH/IZ clusters. I'd argue that Germany is the only civ that still might want a IZ in nearly every city.

If you're using a faith purchasing strategy, and have one of the faith pantheons (Dance of the Aurora, Desert Folklore, Sacred Path) you can rack up quite the faith bonus. The former can be quite useful if you're playing as Russia, and you're settling somewhat close to Tundra. However, I'd only suggest this if you're playing an all-or-nothing religious/faith game.

The CH adjacency card can be okay, mainly for its reliability, you're going to be building CH's in every city and you're most likely going to be placing them next to rivers/harbours for the +2 gold. I'd say it's better than the +2 gold from trade routes card, as it's easier to protect districts than traders, and you can get more than +2 gold from adjacencies. However, I'd quickly replace this card with Triangular Trade.

I have been playing a lot of Domination games as Japan on small continents/ islands/ archipeligo maps.

Since I need to have a harbor in almost every city, I go for the double harbor adjacency when Shipyards become available. The shipyards production directly correlates with the harbors adjacency bonus, which can get pretty good with Japan.

I use the faith ones religiously (ha). I like playing theocracy conquerors and pumping out 400-500 faith a turn is a bombard a turn on top of normal production.

It should be game dependent. If you have districts with large adjacency bonuses, doubling them can be huge. If you don't, there are certainly better policies out there.

I find myself sometimes using the science one early on if I have a few good science districts it can practically double my science output until rationalism and universities. If I'm going heavy faith Scriptures I think it's called can be really helpful as holy sites tend to be easier to get adjacency with. I don't think I've ever been so short on cash that the commercial hub adjacency is worth it, but sometimes in later game the double com hub/harbor one can be, although rarely.

I frequently use the Holy Site one, even if you don't go for a religious victory it's always good to have more faith to spend on Great People, and I pretty much always use the one for Industrial Zones.
I don't usually bother with the rest, but if I have enough good Harbors I'll sometimes pick that one after I have Shipyards.
And of course Five Year Plan and Economic Union later in the game.

If you place a Harbor just right you get +5 gold on it. If you build a shipyard that becomes +5 production. If you then run the right adjacency card that becomes +10 production. That can be a good boost for production in a coastal city.

I'm not really liking the policy card game in Civ 6.

I like the system, but the only bad thing is it really pigeonholes my game into going for the same Big 3 wonders of Potala Palace (though sometimes I can't get this one before the AI), Forbidden City, and Big Ben. I often go for the Fab 4 of Alhambra with that as well. There's just too many useful policies and not enough slots.

This will be even worse in Rise and Fall if we are using the wild card slot for those dark age/golden age cards.

The only time I really feel I have freedom is when I run Democracy with the Fab 4 wonders I mentioned above and Adam Smith as well.

As for adjacency cards, I do use them, but probably not as well as I should. I don't use them early game (though occasionally I have run Scripture) and instead run the +1 production to cities card. I often don't have industrial zones up until near mid game anyways. I actually only use them often when I get to Democracy that I mentioned above. I love 5 year plan, though I don't know how much benefit I'm actually getting out of that. And yes, I do run 5 year plan with Democracy. :mischief:

I like the system, but the only bad thing is it really pigeonholes my game into going for the same Big 3 wonders of Potala Palace (though sometimes I can't get this one before the AI), Forbidden City, and Big Ben. I often go for the Fab 4 of Alhambra with that as well. There's just too many useful policies and not enough slots.

This will be even worse in Rise and Fall if we are using the wild card slot for those dark age/golden age cards.

The only time I really feel I have freedom is when I run Democracy with the Fab 4 wonders I mentioned above.

As for adjacency cards, I do use them, but probably not as well as I should. I don't use them early game (though occasionally I have run Scripture) and instead run the +1 production to cities card. I often don't have industrial zones up until near mid game anyways. I actually only use them often when I get to Democracy that I mentioned above. I love 5 year plan, though I don't know how much benefit I'm actually getting out of that.

It's not a choice when you get to pick everything. I think the limited slots are quite intentional.

The +100% holy site adjacency card can be really good sometimes, especially if you have like Dance of the Aurora or something. +100% harbor adjacency can give an unexpected amount of food sometimes too

Pretty sure I've never used the +100% commerce hub adjacency card though

I know one thing, I love the policy card concept and like mods that beef it up with interesting choices. I also like wonders that give more card slots. I think it is one of the more enjoyable parts of playing C6.

I like using the combination cards, slotting Economic Union is often a sizable gold boon in a period where Gold is really really strong. I don’t usually use the other ones too much, barring the doubled Harbors (since they get gold and productions). But, each game has it’s own needs. A Brazilian Campus has a strong shot at +6 adjacency after all, making the cards that affect it quite effective for a long, long time.

And if you do put 5 minutes into figuring what card and what yield is the best, you ask yourself - what is the point of all this processing power in my PC if i need a piece of paper and a calculator to play this game? I mean, was it really someone's idea to count and remember all these things through GUI? Check your 13 cities and see how many adjacency bonuses you have for this, then this, etc... incredibly time consuming where it doesn't need to be.

100% true. That said, I've never thought of tracking my standard adjacency and this seems like a good idea.

Maybe I'm missing it but is there an easy way to check the adjacency bonusses after you already built the district?

Its the only 'easy' way, not the most pleasant of ways, but its a way.

upload_2018-1-8_22-28-38.png

Isn't that number when you hover your mouse over the district on the main map the adjacency bonus also? Or is that something different? That's what I use. I don't bother trying to calculate adjacency bonuses, I just guesstimate.

I tend to use Holy Site, Commercial, and Harbor, adjacency cards a lot. And I love the Harbor one when you can get the shipyard production also and then later you get the combo Commercial/Harbor card (Economic Union) which is really awesome.

I rarely use the Industrial one since I rarely have more than one or two industrial sites. I don't see the point of more industrial sites since much of their value can be shared with other cities anyway.

I have NEVER used the Theater Site one mainly because Meritocracy is just so much better. I use Meritocracy in most games. And by the time you have lots of Theater sites built (when playing for a cultural victory) you tend to have plenty of culture and don't need any policy cards to help.

Actually I like that the game doesn't tell you exactly what the impact will be. In real life who knows exactly what the impact a specific government policy will be? Its fun to guesstimate!

Top Bottom