Does anyone else dislike how you can't postpone adopting new policies anymore?

Grapa

Warlord
It sucks that you can't save up culture points anymore. :( Good patch besides that little annoyance though.

I've got to say that I dislike the policy system in general. I wasn't a fan of Civics in Civ 4 and this seems like further in that direction.

I'd rather have a law screen with provisions that affect your empire as part of an evolving constitution that could be overthrown for radical changes (like the end of Fuedalism or a switch to Communism, etc.)...

I know, I know, mod it, right?

I like it. It makes you make the trade off decision immediately, which makes the choices trickier.

I've got to say that I dislike the policy system in general. I wasn't a fan of Civics in Civ 4 and this seems like further in that direction.

I'd rather have a law screen with provisions that affect your empire as part of an evolving constitution that could be overthrown for radical changes (like the end of Fuedalism or a switch to Communism, etc.)...

I know, I know, mod it, right?

"Legalize It!" - additional gold per trade route, spices add +2 gold

"No on Prop 8!" - Temples add +2 gold, coastal cities gain +5 happiness, inland cities add +5 unhappiness.

:lol:

The thing I don't like about it is that if you want to focus primarily on a certain branch (let's say patronage), it is good strategy to avoid culture as much as possible early on, tech up to the medieval age, then pump culture.

It's extremely gamey, and historically absurd.

A simple fix for that would be to allow you to choose policies that aren't technologically available yet; they wouldn't have an in-game effect until you hit the right era. They'd be "reserved", so to speak.

A minor case in point is that I explored a culture ruin that pushed me over into my next policy unexpectedly, forcing me to choose between honor, liberty and tradition when, if everything had gone as planned, I would have hit the correct age for Piety before I hit the culture threshhold.

"Legalize It!" - additional gold per trade route, spices add +2 gold

"No on Prop 8!" - Temples add +2 gold, coastal cities gain +5 happiness, inland cities add +5 unhappiness.

:lol:

Thats funny! ^^^^ need to add a production hit to 'legalize it' (-1 hammers) so show the lost productivity!!

The thing I don't like about it is that if you want to focus primarily on a certain branch (let's say patronage), it is good strategy to avoid culture as much as possible early on, tech up to the medieval age, then pump culture.

A simple fix for that would be to allow you to choose policies that aren't technologically available yet; they wouldn't have an in-game effect until you hit the right era. They'd be "reserved", so to speak.

A minor case in point is that I explored a culture ruin that pushed me over into my next policy unexpectedly, forcing me to choose between honor, liberty and tradition when, if everything had gone as planned, I would have hit the correct age for Piety before I hit the culture threshhold.

I don't like the concept of them being bound to eras in the first place. It should be tied to certain knowledge like it's always been.

This guy's right on the money.

I'd like to add that there's a reason they made it so we have to pick our policies immediately. The later trees are so much better than the earlier ones, and there isn't enough of a delay in obtaining them such that the investment's almost always worth it. Removing the ability to save policies doesn't fix that problem, it only covers it up. Instead, Firaxis should be either rebalancing the policy's relative power levels, or adjusting how long it takes to obtain the later ones. The latter's accomplished to a degree with the additional tech requirements.

You guys do realize that you can still save up points if you enable it under the "advanced setup", right?
Many people don't like to do that because they want to play the game the "proper" way, and changing from the default options feels like "cheating".

pffft. In a game where the "proper" thing includes adding national wonders that essential remove any difficulty from the game, cheating is a really flexible term. Best bet is to play with whatever settings give you the most enjoyment and if it's too easy download the extra difficulties mod.

I like it. It makes you make the trade off decision immediately, which makes the choices trickier.

This. Makes you think a little bit more than getting a bunch of them and get an overpowered lead when the AI does not do it.

I used to get 2 in Tradition frequently before, and now I see myself doing it almost all the time with the new system.

I like using default rules most of the time if I'm playing vanilla. Sometimes I like to add rampant barbs. :)

Top Bottom